Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-07, 09:50 AM  
turbo1

Another "perk" of strength training....

Just wondering if any of you ladies are the only women in the office that can change the water jug on the water cooler? I'm the only female in this office strong enough to do it. Sometimes it hacks me off when I have to change it because the water gets used in the coffee machines and I drink about 1 cup a day but I do drinks lots of water. I"m glad I can change out the jug, but still it irks me sometimes. We have a couple men working in the office and they change out the water jug only because the coffee pot is empty! I hear the dumb a$$ comments like "I'm not lifting weights because I"ll get big" from large women, and I want to say there are so MANY benefits from weight training. It's pointless to say this though. I know these women too well and they don't want to hear it. Can you guess I just had to change the jug again?????
Old 08-20-07, 10:31 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Well Connie, I work in an office/shop with men only, so I dont have that problem, but I can relate. I run into the same problem with female family members and friends. They cannot understand the benefits of weight lifting. I even have a male business associate who previously lost a lot of weight by dieting and running alone, and has since gained it all back. He still does not understand why he should lift weights!

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 10:37 AM  
turbo1

I get so frustrated with my M-I-L, she constantly complains about not having strength do to everyday chores but she is adament about not lifting weights. Her comment was "I am NOT lifting weights" it is so sad...but again so many women would rather complain and whine than DO something!
Old 08-20-07, 11:00 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

The irony I find with resistance to doing strength training is that when I focus on strength training, I get more compliments than any other time on how I look. People start asking me if I'm losing weight. So, besides all the freedom it gives you to do what you want and need to do in life, there are appearance-based reasons - and people still don't want to do it.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 11:19 AM  
Pykkalo

My washing machine has been having problems lately. (The repairmen have been out here 5 times to fix the same problem, and Lowe's refuses to replace the machine despite there no lemon guarantee! But I digress...) It'll fill up with water, and then it won't agitate or spin. The repairman told me when this happens, to have my husband rock the machine (full of water and clothes) back a little bit and then let it drop forward again, to get it to agitate. He didn't think I could do it myself! I can, and very easily! My DH works 14-hour shifts sometimes... am I supposed to wait until he gets home so I can finish the laundry! Puh-leeze...

My 59-yo MIL does not usually lift weights, except 1-2 lb weights once in a while, but I am very surprised at how strong she is. She can lift things that my 25-yo SIL can't lift...
Pykkalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 11:20 AM  
steakhousegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S.
The irony I find with resistance to doing strength training is that when I focus on strength training, I get more compliments than any other time on how I look. People start asking me if I'm losing weight. So, besides all the freedom it gives you to do what you want and need to do in life, there are appearance-based reasons - and people still don't want to do it.
Laura. ITA. People have actually made fun of me for being so strong and having muscles. I think it's a case of jealousy or inadequacy!

Insanity Grad
Turbo Fire Grad
S90 Grad
P90X2 Grad
steakhousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 11:23 AM  
yaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo1
Just wondering if any of you ladies are the only women in the office that can change the water jug on the water cooler?
Had to laugh at your post. I went to change the water jug last week and everyone in the office tried to stop me and get one of the guys to do it. I said "hey, I don't lift weights for nothing, you know" and proceeded to change the water. They were all astonished (even the guys!) that I could actually do it!
Old 08-20-07, 11:41 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I think of our weight training (and all the other working out we do) as training for life: to make whatever we do in daily life easier and safer. It amazes me when women don't want to lift weights because they are afraid of getting 'too big' (as if it happens quickly and is an irreversible process), yet complain about X or Y daily task being so hard.

Our former secretary (who was overweight, out-of-shape, always moaning about being willing to do ANYTHING---that is, take any drug or any other 'quick fix'---to lose weight) would have tasks for our student workers to do, and sometimes she'd wait until a guy came in to ask for something a bit heavy done (like carrying a box of xerox paper from one room to another). One time, when said something about waiting until X showed up, I asked her why she didn't ask one of the other lab workers if they'd want to do it (not make them, but give them the chance). She hadn't even considered it, because they were 'girls.'

I once brought one of my colleagues an overhead projector because the one in her room was not working, and she make somewhat of a fuss about "oh, no, you shouldn't do that, let X (male student) do that." I politely refused, and let her know that I LIKED doing it. (What does an overhead projector weigh, 10 pounds? ...where is Mr. rolleyes when you need him.).

Seems like some kind of self-imposed dependence to me.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 11:51 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I love my muscles. I think I look better with it. And I always brag to my kids how my arms/leg are hard (I flex them for the kids to feel).

The other day at my kids school, I tried to tap the shoulder of one of the teachers, but accidently tapped her tricep instead. It felt soft. I didn't like that. It surprised me because this teacher is very into health. She always advocate healthy eating to the students. She looks fit (not overweight). I'm guessing she doesn't lift weights... too bad for her.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 12:29 PM  
mtnmom

Yep, when I worked in an office, I'd change the water jug. Our office was about 26 women and 4 men. I'd often go into the kitchen/lounge and hear the women complain that they told one of the "guys" that the water jug was empty and they were having to wait. I think it was just my attitude of refusing to be helpless - 'cause I'd kick off my heels and go over and change the darn thing. I also used to hear all the cautions of how I'm going to hurt my back, etc. And I was probably one of the smallest women in that office too!

Recently, I commented to a "first date" that the rest of my day might be helping out a friend move furniture. He made a comment of "How much furniture moving could you do?" It was my first and last date with him.

I hate to be underestimated, can you tell?