Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-07, 11:59 AM  
Anne V
VF Supporter

P90X - Some questions

I know there are lots of threads out there about P90X and there is also a check in but I've got some questions I didn't see addressed in any of them so please be patient with me.

I’m in the midst of doing a P90X rotation for the first time and tomorrow is the last day of week 2. I’m trying to decide if what I’m seeing and thinking about the program is unique to me or common to lots of people. Background is that I’ve struggled to stick with anything since my son was born three and a half years ago. I have been exercising but it’s been spotty and based on time and energy rather than goals. Right before P90X I was doing heavyish total body lifting about once a week, some walking and other stuff tossed in for good measure when I had time. I thought P90X would be an opportunity to have a goal and it’s something my DH is doing too but don’t think of this as bucolic couples time since I can’t exercise at night and he can’t exercise in the morning. I’m doing the traditional rotation.

I must say that two weeks in I’m impressed at the sequencing of the workout. It really keeps the soreness to reasonable level so I'm not crippled by doms the way I am with some of the more traditional workouts I've done in the past.

The serious questions:
1. Did you see physical changes already at the week and a half point? I’m trying to decide if what I think I see, generally harder muscles, bigger biceps, and pants just a little looser around the waist are just my imagination or based at least a little bit on truth.
2. What about the D * * T? Did anyone follow it? I’m not. Just a yes or no answer will do re forum guidelines.
3. These workouts are LONG on most days. Does anyone think they’re overkill? I’m having a very hard time fitting the workouts in on the days I work. I’m already up at 5am and don’t want to get up any earlier. Rather than doing the halfsies thing, I’m thinking about just cutting out some of sets on the tape to save about 10 minutes. He rotates things so it would be pretty easy to do.
4. Do you think Ab Ripper X is in there too often? Why are we working abs 4 times a week – three times with ARX, once with yoga. Some could say that Kenpo is also abwork. Is this overkill?
5. Anyone else think that all the stretching at the beginning of Kenpo should be at the end instead? At 5am when I’m working out there is no way I can do all those very intense stretches without a real warm up. I’m planning to swap it out tomorrow.

And the silly questions:
6. Does the slogan “Bring it!” annoy anyone except me? I'm just not a slogan sort of person.
7. Can you start any set now without being prompted “5-4, 3-2”?
8. Has anyone used their cat or dog in place of a stool or yoga block?
9. Does PlyoX ever get even the tiniest bit easier?

Also, I have to admit that I’m already subbing other yoga for YogaX. I didn’t HATE YogaX but there is lots of better yoga media out there so why not use that? My husband couldn’t get through YX at all because he’s never done yoga and here is almost no instruction. Combine that with the inability to see the TV while you’re doing it and it turns into something totally unusable.
Anne V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 12:46 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

1. Did you see physical changes already at the week and a half point? I’m trying to decide if what I think I see, generally harder muscles, bigger biceps, and pants just a little looser around the waist are just my imagination or based at least a little bit on truth.

I can't recall, but if your pants are looser, that's a pretty objective sign. Did you take your measurements before starting (I didn't).

2. What about the D * * T? Did anyone follow it? I’m not. Just a yes or no answer will do re forum guidelines.
NO, but I did add a recovery drink (not the one they sell, just a chocolate soy milk that had near the same macronutrient breakdown as their product) after my weight workouts.

3. These workouts are LONG on most days. Does anyone think they’re overkill?
I seemed to need that much work, so they weren't too much, IMO (except the yoga workout, which I often skipped sections of or substituted).

4. Do you think Ab Ripper X is in there too often? Why are we working abs 4 times a week – three times with ARX, once with yoga. Some could say that Kenpo is also abwork. Is this overkill?
When I was doing a P90X rotation, some of us in the check-in started calling it "Ab Skipper," because we didn't always get to it. I think I ended up doing it about 2 times a week. That was enough for me.

5. Anyone else think that all the stretching at the beginning of Kenpo should be at the end instead?
Yes! I really don't like that yoga at the beginning of a workout.

6. Does the slogan “Bring it!” annoy anyone except me?
It doesn't bother me.

I actually didn't pay attention to that. (I'm good at not paying attention to some things.)

Not intentionally. Though my dear departed Scooter would sometimes join me for yoga or ab work.

Yes.

Also, I have to admit that I’m already subbing other yoga for YogaX. I didn’t HATE YogaX but there is lots of better yoga media out there so why not use that? My husband couldn’t get through YX at all because he’s never done yoga and here is almost no instruction. Combine that with the inability to see the TV while you’re doing it and it turns into something totally unusable
I actually like the more athletic, less spiritual, approach of Yoga X, and I think Tony does a good job of it. In fact, it made me get more interested in yoga (though that interest has faded somewhat...yoga is just not something that seems to keep my attention.)

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 01:24 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Anne - i love your sense of humor!

kathryn is the veteran here, and she gave/always gives thorough answers.

i too had a hard time fitting in P90x, and did it to fit my schedule. at times, i could only do halfsies, or just 45 min. i usually added a cathe lower body workout from time to time, and used P90x workouts exclusively, alternating body parts and P90x cardio (or sometimes a P90M cardio workout)...

but i must say that even with that "little" incorporation of P90x, my muscles are harder, especially the upper body, especially the back. my BF% also went down (using tanita scale).

the hardest workout in the set for me was core synergistics. i've always loved Plyo X and although not easy, it was easier than core syn. so i guess it's one of those YMMV issues.

yoga x - always did it in pieces and not the whole thing. it is a long workout.

ab ripper - this was hard for me - i usually did it maybe 1/week!!! (ducking from the tomatoes).

the phrase "bring it" - it didn't annoy me, but the only time i would cringe was when he was teasing that guy while the guy was lifting heavy (who looks like a young and beefier charles bronson) and the guy told Tony to buzz off!!! i want to say shut up to tony every time i see that part!

EDITED TO ADD: no to diet, but just followed my own common sense.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 01:33 PM  
Castella

I'm not a p90x'er but...

"Bring it" annoys me. A lot. I could probably get past it but so far I am indulging in being annoyed.

The dogs often serve as a yoga block or a meditation cushion. However, they tend to lick hands and feet. One of them is also an All Pro Stepper.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 01:40 PM  
Sandi M
VF Supporter

Great way to look at it!

Hi Anne,

Your questions and comments are definitely in line with some of the things I noticed. I'll try to answer your questions.

No, I didn't see any changes that early. The main changes I have seen when doing strictly P90X are: tighter core, stronger/more muscular upper body, a little bit of a weight gain.

No I did not follow it at all.

Yes, some workouts are too much. I have gradually worked it out where I only do a few of the workouts in their entirety (C&B, S&A, Core Syn, Ab Ripper X, Plyo X), and use portions of the others.

I have never done Ab Ripper X more than once a week. I sub other abs workouts in on 2 other days a week.

5. Anyone else think that all the stretching at the beginning of Kenpo should be at the end instead? At 5am when I’m working out there is no way I can do all those very intense stretches without a real warm up. I’m planning to swap it out tomorrow.

I can't stand Kenpo! It is not intense enough cardio for me, and I hate all of that stretching at the beginning. I like to run for most of my cardio, anyway.

6. Does the slogan “Bring it!” annoy anyone except me? I'm just not a slogan sort of person.

I pay no attention.

I hear the 5-4-3-2-1 thing in my sleep!

No....

YES! I alternate it with P90 Masters Plyo Legs, and I love what both workouts do for my legs and cardio capacity.

10. YogaX - I rarely do any of it except for the abs and stretch portions. I like my yoga in smaller portions.

All of that said, I've been doing P90X workouts every other week for the last few months. I do circuit/endurance weight workouts during the other week, such as Cathe's Drill Max or Gauntlet type stuff. I have found that this is the best mix for me, and I don't get bored.

Sandi
Sandi M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 01:55 PM  
mj476

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne V
I1. Did you see physical changes already at the week and a half point? I’m trying to decide if what I think I see, generally harder muscles, bigger biceps, and pants just a little looser around the waist are just my imagination or based at least a little bit on truth.

My measurements really didn't change during Phase 1.

2. What about the D * * T? Did anyone follow it? I’m not. Just a yes or no answer will do re forum guidelines. I tried to for Phase 1 and part of Phase 2 and then I fell apart. Since I finished the X and am writing down my meals again, I am doing much better. This is key for me in keeping my weight down.

3. These workouts are LONG on most days. Does anyone think they’re overkill? I’m having a very hard time fitting the workouts in on the days I work. I’m already up at 5am and don’t want to get up any earlier. Rather than doing the halfsies thing, I’m thinking about just cutting out some of sets on the tape to save about 10 minutes. He rotates things so it would be pretty easy to do.

I didn't think they were overkill. They seemed just about right.

4. Do you think Ab Ripper X is in there too often? Why are we working abs 4 times a week – three times with ARX, once with yoga. Some could say that Kenpo is also abwork. Is this overkill? It did feel a little too much to me. I had a very hard time fitting in Ab Ripper X all 3 days. I tend to need more rest between sets and between that and changing weights, I tended to run into overtime and couldn't get finished. I tried to make up ARX when I could but didn't get too upset if I couldn't.

I definitely thought all the stretching at the beginning of Kenpo should've been at the end. In fact, I finally started to just jump right into the workout and do the stretching at the end and it felt much better. I don't like to stretch cold muscles.

And the silly questions:

It didn't bother me.

7. Can you start any set now without being prompted “5-4, 3-2”? Yes.

8. Has anyone used their cat or dog in place of a stool or yoga block? No.

9. Does PlyoX ever get even the tiniest bit easier? Yes, it does. I was able to start jumping higher, doing more things double time and getting the workout done in a shorter amount of time without as much rest in between. I always looked to Dom for inspiration. He was amazing.

Also, I have to admit that I’m already subbing other yoga for YogaX. I didn’t HATE YogaX but there is lots of better yoga media out there so why not use that? My husband couldn’t get through YX at all because he’s never done yoga and here is almost no instruction. Combine that with the inability to see the TV while you’re doing it and it turns into something totally unusable.

Yes, there is much better yoga out there. I admit I liked it in the beginning (although it was definitely too long) but once I started trying other instructors, they blew Yoga X right out of the water. I did David Swenson (Short Forms and 2nd Series), Baron Baptiste (Next and Ultimate Challenge), Shiva Rea (Fluid Power), Mark Blanchard (Progressive Power Yoga), Yoga Zone's Power Yoga for Strength & Endurance.
Marcy
Old 07-23-07, 02:52 PM  
TessTN

Quote:
I'm just starting my fourth week, but I did start seeing changes early. Not that they'd be obvious to anyone else (even now! ) but they were there. So yeah, it's possible things are already changing for you. Especially if you've been more miss than hit with your exercise before the X.

Quote:
Not so much. I had my own :forbidden word: program going that has worked well for me. Not too much different than the X food program, though.

Quote:
I don't think they're overkill, nor-- with the exception of YogaX-- do I think they're too long. What I do, though, is skip ahead quickly. I don't do near as many pull ups or push ups as they do yet, so most of the time I get mine knocked out while Tony's still yammering on, setting things up. I skip ahead to the next exercise, do it while Tony's talking, skip ahead...

Quote:
AbRipperX! Ugh! I canNOT do those exercises yet! After trying it three times, I decided I'd be better off subbing other ab exercises that I *can* do. Hopefully, by the time I'm further along in the X, ARX won't seem like such a sick joke. I work my abs 3 times a week, but I don't count yoga or KenpoX as ab work. Too, I do my abs before my main workout. Gets them over with right away and lets me bask in that warm glow of a nasty job done well and well over, before I get worn out with the other stuff.

Quote:
Yes. Although, I must say I like KenpoX. I skip the stretches, though, and stick 'em back on at the end. Do my own warmup while they're stretching cold muscles.

Quote:
And the silly questions:
6. Nope, it doesn't grate on me. Honestly, I don't seem to hear it that much. I guess I'm too busy ignoring imminent collapse most of the time.

7. LOL, and I thought the music clips on the DVD menus getting stuck in my head was bad. They're very insidious ear-worms, but a heck of a lot better than having Tony's countdown playing spontaneously!

8. No pets here, but I have grabbed family members on occasion.

9. Can't say it's gotten easier, because I keep pushing myself each time. I can say that I've gotten better at it. And, found out which parts of it annoy my knees, so I can do it at all. I modify the one-legged hopping to jump-rope type skipping or Military Marches because otherwise my knees ache and make horrid grinding noises.

Quote:
After 4 weeks, this is the FIRST time I've been able to get all the way through YogaX without getting interrupted at around the 45 minute mark! I found I liked it much better once we got past those infernal @#$% vinyasas. I'm a novice myself, though, and I agree completely about the lack of instruction. When I'm twisted around into a Half Moon or something, it's really hard to check the screen and see if I've got all my parts in the correct alignment.

I did enjoy the balance portion, gave Crane a shot though I kept my big toes on the floor... but not even Tony is going to get me up into a shoulder stand/plow. My neck is way too tweaky for that!

All in all, though, I must say I love the X workouts more than any I've done so far. And, I'm seeing more results with them than I have with anything else to date. It's going to be hard to find stuff that works as well, afterwards. I'll probably stick to the general spirit of the X rotation, subbing in different workouts but keeping to the same ratio of types of workouts per bodypart.

HtH!
Tess

"Unlike a car which only has so many miles on it and wears out from over-use, people are the only “machines” on earth that fall apart from under-use."
--Tom Venuto
Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle
TessTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 02:55 PM  
steakhousegirl

The serious questions:

No changes until 30 days.

No

I don't think they're that long compared to Cathe etc. If I was in a time crunch I just shortened the warmup or cool down.

Well, I got to hate ARX but that said I like to work my abs 3x week...just not with ARX .

I don't mind the stretching but sometimes it seems like it takes way too long. I guess it mattered on my mood at the time.

And the silly questions:

I love "Bring It".

Ddin't notice that.

No, but I should have!

Yes.

Tony was the one who got me to "get" the whole yoga thing. I did YogaX every time it was called for but I would not again. I got major dread factor with that and ARX. There are better subs out there IMO>

Insanity Grad
Turbo Fire Grad
S90 Grad
P90X2 Grad
steakhousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 04:49 PM  
KickDancer

Not that I noticed, but I wasn't taking measurements or pictures regularly.

Not I.

Long, sometimes; overkill, no. I find that the added sets and intervals actually boost strength and cardiovascular fitness, unlike endless reps-in-a-row or interminable high-intensity, which to me become pointless beyond a certain level (i.e., they just tire me out instead of building my fitness). That's what I would call overkill.

I used to work my abs almost every day, but not nearly to the same intensity level as in ARX. I don't think 4x/wk is necessarily overkill for the abs, although I personally got sick of ARX quickly and just substituted other abwork instead.

Yes! I dislike that kind of stretching early in a workout. The dynamic stretching in the UB weight workouts was wonderful, but I felt that the early Kenpo stretches were counterproductive and potentially harmful for me. I subbed other kbx for Kenpo frequently.

I'm not a slogan person either, but it didn't bother me. I find other instructors' pet phrases much more irritating.

Never noticed this! I'm too busy thinking about the weights and reps to be aware of this.

Not an option for me, sadly.

Yes! I remember going easy and taking breaks at the beginning; toward the end, I could keep up with Dom and still feel pretty good when I was done.

As for Yoga X, I actually really enjoy it. I would sub in other yoga for the sake of making use of my varied collection, but something about the rhythms of the long series of active vinyasas in Yoga X felt really exhilarating for me. It was just the right level of challenge that I could stay focused yet feel like I'd accomplished something at the end. With a lot of other yoga workouts, I'd either be able to do it or not quite be able to do it, and end up feeling just a little shortchanged as to what I'd accomplished with my time.