Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-25-07, 04:28 PM  
Lily530

Am i working my "bum" too much?

I'm sure we all know how difficult it is to fit in EVERYTHING we want to do during a week's time....and yet we're constantly still wanting more workouts. I'd like to get some opinions on whether my rotation is okay. I don't want to overwork my lower body. I am well aware that you shouldn't work the same body part twice in a row, but does this also apply to ballet-Lotte Berk type workouts? I also do high inclines on the treadmill - which works the glutes.

So here's my rotation:

M - upper body & Classical Stretch
T - iBallet & high inclines
W - upper body & Classical Stretch
TH - iBallet & high inclines
F - rest
SA - upper body, Classical Stretch, yoga & 1 hour high inclines
SU - yoga & 30 min steady pace cardio

I also do planks 5x a week, but those don't have an effect on my lower body question.

Most of the Classical Stretch workouts work the glutes/hips/thighs and therein lies my concern...because the very next day I follow with iBallet (kills my glutes) & the high inclines.

Thoughts? I'd love to hear from someone who does both Classical Stretch & iBallet.

Thank you!
Lily530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 04:48 PM  
Cowgirl32

No, if it's not strength, dumbell's really bringing the muscles to fatigue I think its A-OK to do body weight exercises everyday if you desire! But make sure you rest at least one day a week! Your results will actually be better! and it steadies your metabolism
Cowgirl32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 04:59 PM  
Lily530

cowgirl thank you ever so! This makes me happy.
My rest day is in place.
Old 04-25-07, 05:44 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily530
I'm sure we all know how difficult it is to fit in EVERYTHING we want to do during a week's time....and yet we're constantly still wanting more workouts. I'd like to get some opinions on whether my rotation is okay. I don't want to overwork my lower body. I am well aware that you shouldn't work the same body part twice in a row, but does this also apply to ballet-Lotte Berk type workouts? I also do high inclines on the treadmill - which works the glutes.

So here's my rotation:

M - upper body & Classical Stretch
T - iBallet & high inclines
W - upper body & Classical Stretch
TH - iBallet & high inclines
F - rest
SA - upper body, Classical Stretch, yoga & 1 hour high inclines
SU - yoga & 30 min steady pace cardio

I also do planks 5x a week, but those don't have an effect on my lower body question.

Most of the Classical Stretch workouts work the glutes/hips/thighs and therein lies my concern...because the very next day I follow with iBallet (kills my glutes) & the high inclines.

Thoughts? I'd love to hear from someone who does both Classical Stretch & iBallet.

Thank you!
I actually feel that these two compliment each other nicely. And your routine looks well balanced. Upper and lower, do you have core work in there somewhere?

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 05:52 PM  
Lily530

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~^~RedFlame~^~
I actually feel that these two compliment each other nicely. And your routine looks well balanced. Upper and lower, do you have core work in there somewhere?
Yes, I work my core by doing planks.....there is also some core work in Classical Stretch and the iBallets.
Old 04-25-07, 06:20 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Awesome, looks like a healthy program to me! Now, I am obviously out of the loop here, when you say high inclines, I am thinking that is your cardio, which we need for the heart health of course. If they are not cardio, then you should have that in there for the heart. Not fat loss, but just to get in the AHA recommended time for an elevated heartrate. If those ARE cardio, then it looks to me like you have a great program going!

Old 04-26-07, 07:44 AM  
Lily530

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~^~RedFlame~^~
Awesome, looks like a healthy program to me! Now, I am obviously out of the loop here, when you say high inclines, I am thinking that is your cardio, which we need for the heart health of course. If they are not cardio, then you should have that in there for the heart. Not fat loss, but just to get in the AHA recommended time for an elevated heartrate. If those ARE cardio, then it looks to me like you have a great program going!
Yes, the high inclines on the treadmill are my cardio. I vary it...sometimes what I call an "incline down". I start at 15% and every 5 minutes lower it by 1% as I increase the speed. I do an "incline pyramid" where I start at an incline of 6% and every minute go up a % until I hit 15 and then I go back down. I also do "high inclines" - 5 minutes at 10%, 5 minutes at 12.5%, 5 minutes at 15% and then back down - I do this for an hour.

I don't run or jog. Ever. I used to. I'm hoping the inclines are sufficient.
Old 04-26-07, 08:23 AM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily530
Yes, the high inclines on the treadmill are my cardio. I vary it...sometimes what I call an "incline down". I start at 15% and every 5 minutes lower it by 1% as I increase the speed. I do an "incline pyramid" where I start at an incline of 6% and every minute go up a % until I hit 15 and then I go back down. I also do "high inclines" - 5 minutes at 10%, 5 minutes at 12.5%, 5 minutes at 15% and then back down - I do this for an hour.

I don't run or jog. Ever. I used to. I'm hoping the inclines are sufficient.
OH this is definitely sufficient for heart health. They "say" that impact is important for bone density, but IMO the jury is still out on that. Not that it works, but that it is NECESSARY. Heavy lifting also assists with bone building. I just read somewhere about the latest theory of "doing 50 jumps per day for bone health". Cant even remember where I read it, and I thought, ok, healthy bones and painful joints!!

Old 04-26-07, 09:03 AM  
Cowgirl32

Red, is it really necessary to Run in order to have weight bearing cardio?? I HATE running
Cowgirl32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-07, 09:11 AM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl32
Red, is it really necessary to Run in order to have weight bearing cardio?? I HATE running
No, in fact for a lot of people this is a BAD idea. There are people that are very lucky and genetically have great joints and such, but IMO it is not worth risking joint injury if you do not LOVE running. Running is so addictive to those people that do love it, that I would say GO for it, and just hope. But if you don't like it in the first place, NO, I would not recommend it. Personally I love rebounding and "they" are claiming that this also increases bone density.

I think a great direction for some instructor to take would be a workout that does JUST that, moves that increase bone density without a lot of high impact!