Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-18, 06:04 PM  
Cowgirl32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I guess I'm the only one that doesn't think he necessarily sounds so bad. Like kittybug said, living on opposite sides of the country would make it more difficult to meet his parents. And how much time DO you spend exercising and training? I currently leave the house at 6:30 a.m. and get home around 7:30 p.m. If I added an hour or more of exercise onto that, it would make for a very long day. Maybe you are not spending as much time together as he'd like - that doesn't necessarily make him a bad guy. But it doesn't really matter, anyway. if you are not happy and don't feel this relationship is right for you - for whatever reason, then parting ways and allowing each of you to find someone better suited is probably for the best.
I definitely don't over train. I exercise 5 days per week. And have always dedicated my weekends to us. Plus he's always overseas for business. Yet I never said a word about his travels being a strain.

Yes, very controlling. His dad is that way.
Old 09-27-18, 06:45 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl32 View Post
I definitely don't over train. I exercise 5 days per week. And have always dedicated my weekends to us. Plus he's always overseas for business. Yet I never said a word about his travels being a strain.

You absolutely did the right thing. It's all about control. If it wasn't your fitness routine, it would be something else until you gave up everything you enjoy to please him. Conditional love is not love at all.
Old 09-27-18, 09:03 PM  
Swissmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl32 View Post

You just answered your own question. You did the right thing.
Swissmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-18, 04:29 AM  
maitai

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
An ultimatum is not good idea in a successful relationship.

ETA: sometimes I think our inner radar senses something isn't right about a relationship.
Beautifully said !
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-18, 05:53 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I had an ex-husband like this. He didn't like it if I needlepointed or cross-stitched while I was sitting watching TV. It wasn't like I sat and watched TV much either. For him it was all about control.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-18, 08:19 AM  
Gams

Because you've never met his parents, yet you said his dad is very controlling, I'm wondering was it your boy friend who told you his dad is controlling? It's interesting that he would see it in his dad, but not recognize the same thing in himself.

Your initial post didn't say you felt he's very controlling - your last post tells us more. "Very controlling" is not the kind of person to be in a relationship with.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-18, 11:34 AM  
Softshoe
VF Supporter

Some people don't understand the concept of training. Energy begets energy, you start working out and the body "sings". If one has never experienced this concept or does not wish to come to their better self, they may not understand the effort required.

I had a past relationship who asked me to stop saying I was in training, because it sounded like I was a monkey! He had no passion for working out. My husband thinks he is lucky to be married to me because he is a surfer. I understand his passion his need to move.

I hope the best for you. I applaud your efforts, you sound like you are making progress. You are special. This should be recognized.
Old 09-28-18, 06:54 PM  
Cowgirl32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softshoe View Post
Some people don't understand the concept of training. Energy begets energy, you start working out and the body "sings". If one has never experienced this concept or does not wish to come to their better self, they may not understand the effort required.

I had a past relationship who asked me to stop saying I was in training, because it sounded like I was a monkey! He had no passion for working out. My husband thinks he is lucky to be married to me because he is a surfer. I understand his passion his need to move.

I hope the best for you. I applaud your efforts, you sound like you are making progress. You are special. This should be recognized.
Thank you. You are so sweet. :-)
Old 09-28-18, 06:56 PM  
Cowgirl32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Because you've never met his parents, yet you said his dad is very controlling, I'm wondering was it your boy friend who told you his dad is controlling? It's interesting that he would see it in his dad, but not recognize the same thing in himself.

Your initial post didn't say you felt he's very controlling - your last post tells us more. "Very controlling" is not the kind of person to be in a relationship with.
No, he described his dad... And I mentally noted.. he sounds controlling. His mom always made the sacrifice for everything. His dad never supported his mom.
Old 09-30-18, 08:16 AM  
antbuko

I agree with everyone else. Your fitness habits were his excuse. There would always be more reasons why he felt you didn't have enough time for him. Perhaps he wasn't able to pinpoint why the relationship wasn't working out for him. Whatever, right? It's best you find someone who is more compatible with you, and not necessarily someone who is also fitness "obsessed". Couples often have separate interests. Sorry you are going through this. Break ups are tough.