Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-18, 05:04 PM  
nevertoolate

Thoughts on Total Stretch

I copied my thoughts on Deep Stretch and Dynamic Stretch from another thread http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=223693 and finish with my thoughts on Total Stretch which I did today:

I did both of the 30+ minute stretch routines from Jessica's new Total Stretch DVD yesterday. The Deep Stretch workout is more of a conventional total body stretch routine -- slow, measured, gentle. However, the way Jessica combined and modified some of the movements made it more unique. I'm having some tight hip issues and her hip opening stretches felt particularly good. The garden setting was beautiful, the music very nice and Jessica's cuing was excellent. This would be good for a rest day.

The Dynamic Stretch workout has a faster pace -- more energetic and flowy, lots of big moves. It reminds me more of a qi gong or yoga routine than strictly a stretch workout. This setting overlooked the ocean -- stunning -- and the music was more upbeat. I could almost feel the ocean breeze and smell the salt air! Very enjoyable workout. Would be great for a warm-up or an easy day.

I really like both of these very much. They're different enough from other stretch workouts I have and I'll get a lot of use out of them. The production is high quality, the settings are beautiful, and the music is lovely. Jessica's cuing is excellent and she offers modifications in places. She is so positive, cheerful and encouraging. I just love working out with her. I also appreciate that she doesn't fill every single second with chatter.

Today I did the shorter (17 minute) stretch routine, also called Total Stretch. This is a yoga-inspired routine that starts standing, goes to the floor for a nice set, and finishes standing. The poses move gently from one to the next and are held briefly. Nice slow pace, nothing rushed or too difficult. This is a good, relaxing, loosening routine that would be good after any workout or before bed. It's in a grassy area in the botanical gardens -- nice, but not as gorgeous as the other settings. Jessica's cuing is excellent and her quiet manner fits the relaxing routine. I love the music and the sounds of the birds in the background.

I'm very happy I got this DVD.

Ann
nevertoolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-18, 06:25 PM  
juliel
VF Supporter

I did Dynamic Stretch after taking a hike today. I really enjoyed it! It flowed really well for me . I previewed the other routines as well and they look really good.
I haven't really gotten into her other yoga or stretching dvds so I'm so pleased that this one was a keeper!

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-18, 07:56 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

I think I should clarify my original post about Fusion Strength. I don’t think it’s a beginner workout overall, but, rather, that it’s a workout I’d classify as cardio and not a strength training workout unless the exerciser had either never lifted weights or hadn’t lifted weights in a long time. So I think you could do a strength training workout the day after doing Fusion Strength if you wanted to.

YMMV, of course!

I wish I’d been able to try Flow Cardio, but the day conspired against me...looks like it’s popular.
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-18, 03:33 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Fusion Strength

I did Fusion Strength today and liked it. This setting is what all instructors should strive for, it's so breathtaking. I only used 2 lb weights as I've got some shoulder issues, so wanted to keep it light on my first run. Normally, I'd have used 3 lbs but the windmill is tricky on my left side. The angled rows with arms raised are also a bit problematic but this exercise appears in a few other of Jessica's workouts that I've done recently, so I may just have some soreness/tightness in this area. There were quite a few plies (and pulses) while working upper body and I enjoy compound exercises and getting more bang for your minutes worked. I like working legs (whenever possible) but know this may bothers some if they have knee issues. I love plies and it reminds me of Miranda in CS saying how great plies are for burning fat. Overall I will use this one quite a lot and agree that it's going to be a great one during those Wintertime blue days (and gray skies.)

I also did the 11 minute Stretch from the Total Stretch DVD which I also liked. Jessica is so calm and relaxed and this segment would make a good add on to any workout. I did a quick preview of the others (Dynamic and Deep) and those both looked absolutely fantastic. One setting has the Botanical Gardens while the other is the Ocean backdrop. I plan to use these a lot and I tend to be a person who skips stretch workouts for lack of time. These are that good!

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-18, 10:35 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

I was finally able to do Flow Cardio today and I LOVED it. It was surprisingly sneaky as Jessica’s workouts sometimes are, but it just felt lovely.

I was really surprised by the music. I usually don’t notice music much in workouts unless it’s truly dreadful...I’ve even done entire workouts not realizing there was no music! But I really liked the music in this workout. It’s not obtrusive in any way, just present and motivating. It adds a nice vibe.

And what more can be said about the scenery that hasn’t already been said?

This is a keeper and I know I’ll be using this dvd and Flow Cardio in particular for years to come. And, as Pam61 mentioned above, this is a lot like Cardio Flow from the Total Body Balance DVD. That workout is 20 mins long and I always wished there was a longer version, so this is a great new option.
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-18, 06:35 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixoo View Post
And, as Pam61 mentioned above, this is a lot like Cardio Flow from the Total Body Balance DVD. That workout is 20 mins long and I always wished there was a longer version, so this is a great new option.
I'm glad to hear this! Cardio Flow on Total Body Balance was my favorite for a while and I did wish that it was longer. As soon as I finish my coffee I plan to do the Flow Cardio for the first time. I did the Strength workout couple of days ago and I really liked it.
Old 08-29-18, 07:21 AM  
bubbles76

I may need to get Feel Good Fusion! I've been looking for another workout that's like Jessica's Total Body Balance
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-18, 10:32 AM  
DBW

How does it compare to Barefoot Fusion sculpt from Walkstrong (1?)

Thanks
DBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-18, 02:07 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Flow Cardio is even better the 2nd time around. I was able to appreciate this workout even more and give it my all and it really is quite the feel good workout. If some of you have favorite Classical Stretch episodes or an Ellen Barrett workout that you just love, this will be like that to many. You can just relax into the moves and just go for it, stretching, reaching, flowing a bit more once you know what to expect. I'm looking forward to doing Fusion Strength again and giving it some more gusto, as well.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-18, 02:20 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
Flow Cardio is even better the 2nd time around. I was able to appreciate this workout even more and give it my all and it really is quite the feel good workout.
Agreed! I did it for the first time this morning and it was great. Exactly as described - flowy, feel-good light cardio. I didn't expect it to be hard and it wasn't but boy, did I feel good when I was done! I can't wait for Jessica's other workouts to be released.

Tags
feel good fusion, flow cardio, fusion strength, jessica smith, jessica smith stretching, similar to ellen barrett, total stretch