Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-18, 01:42 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
I read about some research with melatonin helping with acid reflux. I tried it and it worked for me.
Interesting! I began taking melatonin nightly around a week ago to help with sleep and noticed I haven't had my usual nightly exacerbations recently.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-18, 06:51 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

My husband was suffering from it. Now totally glutein and mostly grain free he is also acid reflux free. Bread, pasta was the worst. Eating a handful of raw spinach always helped. But the best thing was going glutein and grain free.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-18, 06:56 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Beckwith View Post
I used to have terrible heartburn almost constantly. After trying many, many things, I began to think it might be a problem with wheat and spent a weekend avoiding it. It was amazing how much better I felt. That was about 30 years ago and I continue to eat wheat and gluten free. I've had tests done and am not Celiac (an actual disease where you can't eat gluten) but experts now agree there is "gluten sensitivity" and I assume that's what I have. I also take pro-biotics and they seem to help a lot. I rarely get heartburn these days. Oh - and I'm also lactose intolerant. I'm really, really careful about what I eat!
Have you read the Wheat Belly book? It is so informative. Glutein is a seroius offender of health.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-18, 07:03 AM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Interesting! I began taking melatonin nightly around a week ago to help with sleep and noticed I haven't had my usual nightly exacerbations recently.
The recommended dose is 5 or 6 mg. I know I had 3 mg on hand so I take 2 of those at night. Based on what I read, melatonin is released in the pineal gland as well as the esophagus and stomach.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-18, 07:51 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
I read about some research with melatonin helping with acid reflux. I tried it and it worked for me.
Diana, I am glad it helped you. Unfortunately, when I tried it for insomnia I had very disturbing dreams.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-18, 08:00 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Diana, I am glad it helped you. Unfortunately, when I tried it for insomnia I had very disturbing dreams.
I took it for a little while and it really made me feel like a zombie with a lousy attention span and an awful memory. Not an improvement on the exhaustion that insomnia leaves behind, so I'm trying to do without it.
Old 08-23-18, 08:12 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I've been gluten free going on ten years and still was recently diagnosed with it. My worst offenders are eating too late and eating too large of a meal. Citrus is poison to my esophagus now, and I had to give up tomato sauced type meals which is a small tragedy at my house. Eating meat after 6:00 pm is the worst.

Curious about eating a handful of spinach - I'll have to try that. I tried the ACV, also with mixed results.

I have really got to get around to making Pam's water kefir.

Using two pillows isn't enough - the whole upper body has to be propped up. They recommend putting bricks under the top two feet of the bed. I contrived a yoga bolster set up if I've eaten late.

This product, which my ND recommended, has helped a lot: rhizinate. My Rx is to chew one every night, after my last drink of water and right before bed. You might want to talk to your doctor about it.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-18, 08:38 AM  
sherry7899

Pat, I use two pillows and a back rest. Thank you for the yoga bolster idea! I will definitely try that tonight.

Has anyone been able to drink green smoothies with a small amount of acidic fruit? I have a load of frozen berries , oranges and pineapple. I hate to trash them.

Luckily bananas and cherries are okay. I love those in green smoothies. Sadly I will try not using cacao powder for awhile, which I love. I also hate giving up peppers, onions and tomatoes for now. Sigh...

Eta, I found strawberries and raspberries are not acidic- woo hoo! Blueberries are, though.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-18, 08:40 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
The recommended dose is 5 or 6 mg. I know I had 3 mg on hand so I take 2 of those at night. Based on what I read, melatonin is released in the pineal gland as well as the esophagus and stomach.
The pills I have are 5mg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I took it for a little while and it really made me feel like a zombie with a lousy attention span and an awful memory. Not an improvement on the exhaustion that insomnia leaves behind, so I'm trying to do without it.
Wow, so interesting. I haven't found it to cause dreams or make me feel sluggish. In fact, I still tend to wake up too early (4:30 this morning).
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-18, 09:34 AM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
The pills I have are 5mg.

Wow, so interesting. I haven't found it to cause dreams or make me feel sluggish. In fact, I still tend to wake up too early (4:30 this morning).
Have you tried the timed release products.? They stay in your system throughout the night unlike immediate release. I have seen 6 hour and recently I read about an 8 hour product.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gerd, heartburn, reflux