Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-18, 08:28 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Fitbit - help me choose a new one

My Fitbit One is needing to be recharged twice weekly now, and I fear that signifies the end of our relationship.

I love my One because it is unobtrusive. I wear it on my pants pocket or bra strap. I don't want to have one on my wrist, so that's my biggest hurdle.

Features I want are:

~ Unobtrusive and does not have to be worn on wrist
~ Syncs with Weight Watchers app via my laptop

Features I do not need:

~ A big chunk of gadget on my arm
~ A "period logger"
~ Smart phone syncing (I keep blue tooth off to save data)

Thanks for any tips.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-18, 09:36 AM  
Sissy B

The only option Fitbit offers right now for a clip-on tracker is the Zip and looking at their website I'm not sure how much longer it's going to be available. It's a little wider than the One and only tracks steps, miles and calories burned. It also uses batteries.

I started with a Zip and really liked it. Now I'm using the One. I do have an Alta that I got after my first Zip died and while it is a wrist tracker, it is small and I hardly notice I'm wearing it. What I don't like about it is that it doesn't seem to be as accurate as counting steps as the Zip or the One. I usually only wear it at night after my shower since I wear the One on my bra and I want all of my steps to count.

I do sync with my phone, but I only turn the bluetooth on when I want to sync or need it on for some other reason. Other than that, I keep my bluetooth turned off.
Sissy B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-18, 10:45 AM  
Vantreesta

I do the same with syncing. I only turn on bluetooth when needed.

If you didn't need to sync with WW I was going to suggest not going the Fitbit route and getting a New-Lifestyles accelerometer (pedometer). I love mine. I wear both it and my Fitbit Charge 2 bc I'm just that kind of girl but it is old school so no syncing to anything.

I believe Sissy is right that the Zip is being discontinued soon.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-18, 11:56 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I sometimes put my Fitbit Alta HR into this holder and clip it on my pants' pocket. Seems to track steps fine but I haven't tried to "scientifically" compare this with how much it counts vs. when worn on my wrist. This holder is super secure, no magnets, just really stays put where it should!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-18, 01:21 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanywu View Post
I sometimes put my Fitbit Alta HR into this holder and clip it on my pants' pocket. Seems to track steps fine but I haven't tried to "scientifically" compare this with how much it counts vs. when worn on my wrist. This holder is super secure, no magnets, just really stays put where it should!
Tiffany that looks like the answer to my quest - I didn't know about the holders. Thank you!
Old 06-29-18, 01:24 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I have a Fitbit Blaze, it is a watch & step counter & clips into a watch band so probably wouldn’t work for you. I am a watch addict, always need to wear one. I think it comes for my nursing years of medication schedules, etc. It’s okay, but am not enamoured with it. I’ve had it for about 18 months & am noticing it doesn’t hold a charge as well as it used to. Sounds like the Zip might work for you. Although IIRC the battery in it is not rechargeable. Does WW endorse a pedometer that syncs with their app?

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-18, 01:27 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I bought a One a while ago in preparation for mine dying. That happened last weekend so am using the new One! If I didn't have it, I'd have gotten a Zip. I only use my Fitbit for steps and have a Garmin watch for workouts.

Have you contacted them? I did, and while they couldn't help, they gave me a discount in their store that brought all the prices down quite a bit.

With the discount, the new Ionic was under $180. It can run various apps, not sure if Weight Watches is one though.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-18, 04:08 PM  
antbuko

Pat, before you get a new one, you might want to do a chat with Fitbit customer service and explain the problem you are having. Mine does not have to be charged that often. About a month or so ago, there was a firmware update for mine and I could not get it to take the update and it also stopped syncing. I did a chat with them and they did some troubleshooting, which did not work, so they offered me a choice of a free replacement or a discount on the purchase of a new device. I took the freebie. I think they have a new clip on device that you could get.
Old 06-30-18, 07:22 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thank you everyone, more great ideas to follow up on.

Pam - my Mom was a nurse and ALWAYS wore a watch. She had a thing about keeping the face on the inside part of her wrist.

Tags
fitbit