Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-16, 06:24 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheash92 View Post
How do you handle the cold?
Down coat with hood. Not the packable kind. The one that makes you look like a big marshmellow. I call mine my cocoon. It allows me to go for long walks in all but the coldest, windiest weather. Remember that you will get warmer after a few minutes of brisk walking.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-16, 06:29 AM  
geojill

Vantreesta, 7 months of fall sounds delightful! We went up to the top of Rocky Mountain National Park on Sunday to escape the heat. It was 96 when we left home and the temp got down to 62 up near 12k feet. It felt sooooo good!
Old 07-13-16, 09:02 AM  
seww

The cold is manageable but when I lived in the midwest, Alaska and Maryland it was the grey and gloom of winter. The sun just makes everything better!
When I could, we moved to the SW and we have 300 days of sun shine. It has been life changing!
I sure hope you figure out how to cope.
Sue
seww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-16, 09:35 AM  
Lurdes
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Hey Lurdes, nice to meet another ex-Winnipegger here at VF! What part of Winnipeg? I grew up in Westwood, graduated from Westwood Collegiate and then Grace School of Nursing. I also lived briefly in Silver Heights and Charleswood. I usually go back once a year, have lots of friends there.

I love northern CA, we live on Vancouver Island and have done 3 road trips down the coast to the Napa/Sonoma area.
Oh my goodness, yogapam - I went to Westwood Collegiate too (we lived on Wordsworth Place)! I graduated in 1978 and went on to the University of Manitoba. I know both Silver Heights and Charleswood, and my brother was born in the Grace Hospital! I visit Winnipeg once every year or two as my mum lives there by herself (in a high-rise near the Hotel Fort Garry). As if all that weren't enough, we live very near Napa - in Davis (DH and I are both faculty at UC Davis). Let me know next time you plan to visit either the 'Peg or wine country!

Lurdes
Lurdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-16, 10:50 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurdes View Post
Oh my goodness, yogapam - I went to Westwood Collegiate too (we lived on Wordsworth Place)! I graduated in 1978 and went on to the University of Manitoba. I know both Silver Heights and Charleswood, and my brother was born in the Grace Hospital! I visit Winnipeg once every year or two as my mum lives there by herself (in a high-rise near the Hotel Fort Garry). As if all that weren't enough, we live very near Napa - in Davis (DH and I are both faculty at UC Davis). Let me know next time you plan to visit either the 'Peg or wine country!

Lurdes
What a small world! I graduated in 1975 so we would have just missed each other! Sending you a PM!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-16, 11:10 AM  
mtngoat

While Autumn is my favorite season, I enjoy the cold as well. I prefer it if it doesn't go below -20C, however.

Warm gloves and boots are most critical for me to enjoy the outdoors in winter. I hate cold hands and feet!

The only thing I don't like about winter is the ice - dangerous walking, dangerous driving.

(DH and I have a lot of fun in winter. For example, last year we went for a walk/hike in the foothills of the Rockies. The trail had a lot of short, fairly steep hills. Because the trail was fairly isolated, we returned the next day with our Crazy Carpets! We had a blast! Neither one of us broke any bones, so it was all good. (I'm approaching 60, DH slightly over.))

eta: I always make a point to get outside in the mid-day if possible. Some natural sunlight is helpful I find.

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"

Last edited by mtngoat; 07-13-16 at 12:26 PM. Reason: addition
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-16, 01:13 PM  
Gams

I'm with mtngoat - we have a 6-month winter season here and I deal with it pretty well except I don't care for below zero temps. And ice is very scary - 4WD won't help you on ice. I love fall the most. It's beautiful here in the fall. If I could live somewhere that had year round sweatshirt weather, I would be happy.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-16, 01:15 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
If I could live somewhere that had year round sweatshirt weather, I would be happy.
Same here!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-16, 05:23 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I haven't read the entire thread. I live in MN and we "embrace" the cold. I've spent money on good outdoor gear so that we can go outside, walk, ski, whatever and be comfortable. i swear by Eddie Bauer and North Face.

I really enjoy the seasons in MN...love fall. I don't enjoy the sub zero "polar vortex" stuff we get in MN, but it is usually short lived.

Hope you figure out a way to embrace the cold.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-16, 08:38 PM  
BunnyHop

People always laugh about how 'an inch of snow' paralyzes communities in the south, but where I grew up, the problem was always an inch of ICE covered by a bit of snow. The ground would always be warm enough to melt a lot of snow, creating a nice slippery layer for us to wreck our cars on.

Dad used golf shoes to walk in to work when it was icy.

Tags
cold weather, winter blues, winter workouts