Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-25-15, 04:26 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Anyone have or want an electric skateboard?

I have been seeing electric skateboards (also called scooters or hover boards) on TV, and I want one! I wonder if these will become popular like roller blades used to be. They are expensive at about $400, but look like so much fun. I suppose they aren't great exercise, except for the fact that you need to balance and have core strength. I'm wondering whether people are having a lot of falls from these. The last thing I would want is to be starting a thread saying I fell from my electric skateboard!

Here's a video.

Does anyone have one of these or know about them?
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-15, 04:30 PM  
pcdoctor01

I don't know anyone that has one. Hopefully the fire issues will be ironed out soon. I wonder if this is the same issue that causes some laptops to catch fire? Cheap batteries maybe?
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-15, 05:00 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Saturday Night Live recently did a parody commercial on "hoverboards."
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-15, 05:33 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

The first time I saw one in person was a young guy zooming around the grocery store on one. It was a little nuts to use inside a grocery store!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-15, 05:41 PM  
dakko

My first reaction was, "I so need one of those!" ...but then I saw the videos of "Epic Fails."

I don't need another head injury and/or concussion. The last one made me realize how precious is our ability to think and process information. I really dislike the sensation of impaired mental function. Lucky to have recovered most of it (took over a year).
dakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-15, 09:54 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I hadn't noticed these until recently. I am sure there is a lot of potential for injury, and like rollerblades, require safety gear like a helmet and various pads over knees, elbows, etc.. I don't think they can be used for much, other than just zooming around in the park. In some places, they may be illegal to use on the street.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-15, 05:09 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I believe several models have been pulled from retail, as they were catching fire.

They do look fun though! But like dakko, I'm just recovering from a concussion. I've now had 3 concussions in my lifetime, all from sports. So I'll be passing on these ...
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-15, 07:16 AM  
BamaTanya

Several students at my university have them. When I commented to a student in my class about his, he encouraged me to try. Must have been the end of August.
I fell immediately. Caught myself with my left hand, but hurt my wrist and jammed my elbow. Iced it and slept with the arm propped on a pillow for two weeks.
I will never try it again.
Just for reference: I'm 49 and uncoordinated. I was working out regularly with walking/cardio, beginner Pilates, and basic toning. I haven't been on skates in years.
Another man in my office (mid fifties) tried later. He's a little overweight but very active. Has a mini farm. Moves office furniture on his own. Seems strong and fit.
He stumbled, too, but the student grabbed him before he hit the floor.
It looks like great fun, but I am not equipped. I learned it hurts terribly when I fall at this age!
BamaTanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-15, 12:07 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

For me, it would be about the same as trying to stand on top of my stability ball.
Old 12-26-15, 12:23 PM  
dakko

I wonder if a helmet would be any protection for the way their heads bounce against the pavement when falling backwards? For the brain, I mean, as it would still be jarred against the inside of the skull.

FirmDancer, so sorry for your head injury/concussion.

Not sure how many concussions I've had, but it wasn't until the last one that there were any serious problems. I'm 57. Just so thankful most of it healed.
dakko is offline   Reply With Quote