Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-15, 01:30 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
The bolded one is wrong????

I can't say that I don't sweat with every.single.workout. because I absolutely DO, not always buckets but some. I do think that indicates you have exerted yourself, i.e. "worked out." Doesn't "working" out include the word "work" = sweat? Even the "mildest" workout would make one "glow" as my grandmother used to say? This could be just my perspective, because I sweat readily and profusely, much to my embarrassment at times....
I'm a heavy sweat-re, too. I think the problem is when we assume good workout must equal sweat, since not everyone sweats a lot!

In recent years I've definitely broadened my definition of a good workout. It doesn't necessarily have to involve sweating, shaking or soreness. There can be all kinds of 'good.'
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-15, 01:46 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

The one I struggle with is one I'm not sure is true or not. It's that crunches will eventually lead to back problems. Right now I have back pain, and I've done a million crunches over the years. Did this contribute to my back issues (until now I only had minor back problems) or was it something else? I don't know.

If anyone has any info on this, I'd appreciate them posting it.
Old 12-22-15, 02:00 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I'm a heavy sweat-re, too. I think the problem is when we assume good workout must equal sweat, since not everyone sweats a lot!

In recent years I've definitely broadened my definition of a good workout. It doesn't necessarily have to involve sweating, shaking or soreness. There can be all kinds of 'good.'
Agreed. I didn't mean to equate sweat with a good workout, hope I didn't do so---just describing my particular circumstance.

And Bettina, good point about swimming. Maybe I did sweat while I was swimming, but it was hard for me to tell the difference between the sweat and the water I was swimming in. I also don't think I sweat (much) from Paul Katami's Roller Repair, which is tough and definitely a "work out" particularly for some muscles (HELLO, IT band!) , but it is not a "traditional" cardio, yoga or weight workout.

Jane P, I would also like to know if there are legitimate studies on the crunches- lead- to- back- problems issue. I fortunately don't have chronic back pain now, but I did have a lot of back soreness in the days when the crunch/sit up was the gold standard for abdominal workouts. Don't know if the two are really related or not, since it could be I thought I could spot reduce my stomach and did them A LOT.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-15, 02:39 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
The one I struggle with is one I'm not sure is true or not. It's that crunches will eventually lead to back problems. Right now I have back pain, and I've done a million crunches over the years. Did this contribute to my back issues (until now I only had minor back problems) or was it something else? I don't know.

If anyone has any info on this, I'd appreciate them posting it.
It's the same old controversy. Some folks can do crunches, straight-legged sit-ups and C-curve exercises every day for years and have no problems. Others find those exercises painful for the back or neck.

I've skipped the abs section of most videos for years. I prefer standing ab work or hanging leg raises. My back is fine (knock on wood!).

Many pre-hab and rehab gurus are emphasizing building posterior chain strength for back health. And doing more core work like planks for abdominals.

Also, as I've learned on VF over the years, no matter how bad the advice, there will inevitably be VFer who thinks it is great!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-15, 03:35 PM  
Candiceena

For me, it's the idea of DOMS + sweating = I worked out.

I guess for *my* definition - what I want working out to mean for *me* - these are "required" things. I am not sure if this is a bad thing or not? For example my goal for 2016 is 3-4 w/o's per week, and I am expecting myself to have a little bit of DOMS + some sweating. I don't need to sweat a bucket, but I know when I'm sweating & when I'm not - and I better be sweating.
Old 12-22-15, 05:38 PM  
Pam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiceena View Post
For me, it's the idea of DOMS + sweating = I worked out.

I guess for *my* definition - what I want working out to mean for *me* - these are "required" things. I am not sure if this is a bad thing or not? For example my goal for 2016 is 3-4 w/o's per week, and I am expecting myself to have a little bit of DOMS + some sweating. I don't need to sweat a bucket, but I know when I'm sweating & when I'm not - and I better be sweating.
Candiceena-I have the same 2 requirements for workouts, otherwise I feel I am wasting my time working out. The DOMS can be & generally is minor, but enough that later in the day I know I worked out. I am careful to not to work hard the same body part 2 days in a row and if not feeling like I have recovered, I take an extra day off or at least give that body part a day off (i.e. legs have not recovered, so I will do upper body or only a flexibility/balance workout).

I have found it takes working at this intense level, to see improvements in my fitness level. I am not getting sick or injured at working an intense level, plus I enjoy hard workouts.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-15, 11:40 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

If you wear a heart rate monitoring device, and are in your training zone (even if it's at the bottom of it) you are getting some training benefit whether you sweat or not.
Old 12-23-15, 12:35 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane p. View Post
if you wear a heart rate monitoring device, and are in your training zone (even if it's at the bottom of it) you are getting some training benefit whether you sweat or not.
+1

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-15, 11:42 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
Actually, I don't sweat with every workout. And it doesn't actually matter. Some of the more intense workouts may work at cross-purposes to what I am looking for (lower blood sugar numbers—I am on oral meds for that, or avoiding joint pain/hamstring stiffness, or reducing rather than increasing later lethargy) ... and as a blanket rule I don't like sweat; haven't for about a dozen years ...

Enough so that as a former swimmer who used to swim laps with invested-in form (with some private lessons at two venues--books and videos could do just so much), so that I didn't sweat much under the bathing cap. It was a little tougher to have done with flow yoga, if I went to a studio (although occasionally I appreciated how their overheating helped me stretch further ...)

Sweat (that 5 letter dirty word) ...
Tina, I don't sweat a lot either, and I'm okay with that!
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-15, 03:29 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I still struggle with a 'no pain, no gain' mentality. Even though I know soreness isn't an indicator of a good workout, nor is the lack of soreness an indicator of an ineffective one, I still somehow feel so gratified when I get nice, spicy DOMS.
^ This!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote