Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-12-15, 09:30 AM  
cowfishpro

Question Why doesn't CS/Essentrics incorporate planks into their routines?

I appreciate how CS and Essentrics can work the body safely without weights as long as good form is practiced. However, I always wondered why planks were never included in their workouts. For me personally, planks are much more effective than the crunches that Miranda uses when it comes to pulling in the abs.

Does anyone have any insight to this?
Old 07-12-15, 09:43 AM  
naturallove

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowfishpro View Post
I appreciate how CS and Essentrics can work the body safely without weights as long as good form is practiced. However, I always wondered why planks were never included in their workouts. For me personally, planks are much more effective than the crunches that Miranda uses when it comes to pulling in the abs.

T-If I recall previous threads correctly, Miranda includes crunches because she thinks people will expect them in the workouts. I totally agree that planks are far more effective for strengthening the abs.
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-15, 10:11 AM  
TinaT

Just sub in planks when she does the ab work. I've done that from time to time. Especially if your body responses better to planks.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-15, 10:35 AM  
DeepSeaSue

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallove View Post
T-If I recall previous threads correctly, Miranda includes crunches because she thinks people will expect them in the workouts. I totally agree that planks are far more effective for strengthening the abs.

+1.

I started Level 1 of Essentrics Instructor training about two years ago but couldn't get past having to teach crunches, especially when much of the newest research shows that not only are crunches ineffective but also dangerous. (Not to mention the fact that they aggravate my own lower back issues. I always sub planks for crunches when I do Essentrics or CS). Miranda is so current and in fact trend-setting in a lot of other areas so I can't understand why she is so slow to come around on the issue of crunches. When I asked about the issue of subbing in planks for crunches in teaching I was told "no".
DeepSeaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-15, 01:03 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowfishpro View Post

My hunch is because many people who do essentrics/CS have issues they want to work though (potentially wrist problems for example) to begin with & planks would only exacerbate that.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-15, 01:37 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I don't like crunches, def prefer plank work. The exception to that, for me, is Barre3 floor core work done on the Barre3 ball. The main reason I don't care for Miranda's floor work is her antiquated "sit ups" (as she calls them).

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-15, 01:57 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
My hunch is because many people who do essentrics/CS have issues they want to work though (potentially wrist problems for example) to begin with & planks would only exacerbate that.
Makes sense to me.
Old 07-12-15, 03:16 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
True enough, but planks can be easily modified with knees down or to a forearm plank

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-15, 03:19 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Planks provide an isometric hold but don't work the moving muscles much. Nothing against planks, I do them too, but I think it's good to work the muscles by moving them from time to time.
Old 07-12-15, 03:23 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other. I do remember reading somewhere that Miranda includes crunches because of people's preconceived notions about including them in their workouts.

We did not do any floorwork at all at the Colorado retreat. I thought that was interesting! Also, Sahra's barre workout doesn't include any traditional crunches. The floorwork is all legs and glutes.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote