Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-18, 08:02 PM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

My beloved MIL used to say "I wish I were 60 again. I looked so good and I felt so good." I didn't meet her until she was 74 and we had her until she was 86. She was one of my favorite people ever. She kept walking and swimming (as much as she could) and loving and laughing until the end.

I'll be 60 my next birthday so I try to keep her saying in mind.
Old 10-30-18, 10:12 AM  
Salamander

[QUOTE=cttx31;2795153]Thank you for starting this, and for everyone for posting their thoughts. This hit me hard about a month ago. I'm 55 and I recently lost 10 pounds. That's all good, but then one day I looked in the mirror and noticed my lower face was sagging much more than I remembered. I remembered noticing the sag maybe 4-5 years ago, but it was only a month ago I noticed how one side is much worse than the other. The right side has what I consider normal aging - a line in the nasal-labial fold and one going down from the corner of the mouth. But the other side has an extra line off towards the cheek and an extra very short line on the corner of the mouth. And it's just sagging. I'm kind of obsessed with this after I noticed it and went back and looked at any old pictures to try to figure out if it really has gotten worse after I lost 10 pounds, or maybe I only just noticed it now. I found photos from several years ago where I do have the extra lines on the one side, but it's hard to tell. It actually looks worse in the mirror than it does in photos, and also it depends a lot on the lighting conditions. I really can hardly bear to look in the mirror any more. Sometimes I cover that part of my face with my hand so I can even look in the mirror. I've been thinking about maybe a filler (Juvederm) but I need to run that by my DH first.

I know I shouldn't feel so bad, I'm healthy, and feel pretty good. I was never that pretty to start with (I was the "smart" girl), didn't get much attention, but at least I could put my makeup on the mirror and go about the rest of my day thinking I looked decent. I have a comfortable life, but still, it's hard getting older. Especially when you know things are only going go continue to go downhill from here.

lizh, you are so right about "when I'm 70, I'll be wishing I really dug in and loved being 59" etc.

I'm in this same mindset! I just turned 48 and have always looked much younger than I am (according to others).... but the last year or so I can see my lower face sagging. More lines and loss of firmness at corners of mouth and down the chin. Couple weeks ago I took the fillers plunge and had some Voluma put in my cheeks and going back soon to get another syringe distributed around the mouth. I'm going for a very subtle look- most people shouldn't even notice. I was surprised at the vast choices in fillers. Finding a reputable experienced doctor/clinic is vital. This is a highly personal choice that is right for me at this stage in my life. I'm completely committed to clean eating and staying active as well.
Salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-18, 10:54 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
Jessica Smith posted this article on her FB page today.

What Do Women With Positive Body Images Have That Others Don't?

https://health.usnews.com/health-new...at-others-dont

It reflects a lot of what we’ve said here.
Thanks for sharing! I started a thread about this article because it deserves its own.

What Do Women With Positive Body Images Have That Others Don't?
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, aging old gracefully, getting older, gratitude, old talk, social media, social media envy