Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 04-03-16, 01:31 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Me and a few friends

So I worked out all through nursing school till the last half of my last semester. I just got overwhelmed and was barely getting 3 workouts in a week. I graduated in December, had everyone home for the holidays, and looked for a job. I interviewed around, nabbed a job, studied for and passed the NCLEX (nursing licensure board exam), got everyone shipped back to school, and suddenly ohmygoodness, it's mid-January and I've been slacking since November 1 or so.

Then I started my job and have been so physically overwhelmed (believe me, a 14 hour day on your feet will knock you out no matter how fit you are!), and mentally/emotionally overwhelmed (nursing school does NOT prepare you for actual nursing, just so you know), that I've gone from "oh my goodness, just a couple workouts a week" to just one long walk a week (because I'm trying to prepare to walk the Blue Ridge half-mary in a couple of weeks so I've had to at least get my long distance walk in weekly, and that's ALL I've been doing.)

So I'm really wanting to get back to workouts because I am post-menopausal and I know strength training in particular is SO IMPORTANT at this point.... and at the same time I'm looking down the road a bit, and at the end of August I will be 1) working like I am now, BUT 2) also trained enough to be on the on-call schedule on top of that, and 3) starting work on my BSN, which I have to get within 4 years.

And I'm seriously thinking "how am I going to do this?"

Well, all I can do right now is START to TRY. So I'm plugging into something that feels familiar and doable, which is Suzanne Bowen's 6 week spring rotation, which starts tomorrow, April 4. Her workouts are short and to the point, but also tough enough to be effective. And they're generally shortish, 30 minutes or so.

Hopefully that structure will see me through for 6 weeks at which point habit will have been reestablished. At least, I hope so. This is uncharted territory. I have been working out for probably 30 years, but I am 52 years old and exhausted. I've never been so old. I've never been so exhausted.

I hope that starting a personal check-in journal here will help.

I'm entitling it "me and a few friends" because I'm going to be doing mainly Suzanne Bowen's challenge and maybe throwing in a Leslie Sansone or Jenny Ford or Jessica Smith here and there for variety. My main goal is to keep it

1) short (30 min a day)
2) easy (meaning level appropriate for me, low intermediate at this time I'd guess)
and 3) simple (narrowing the choices to avoid the time that goes with decision making).

Here I go, wish me luck!
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-16, 01:44 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

So, the plan for this week:

Sunday (OFF)- starting Suzanne's rotation a day early -DONE, SBF Barre HIIT, 27m
Monday (OFF)- 12.5 mi walk (my last long walk before the BRHM) -DONE, 12.5 miles in 3:20:22
Tuesday (WORK10)- Suzanne day 2 -DONE SBF Upper Body 5
Wednesday (WORK10) - Suzanne day 3 -DONE SBF Lower Body Barre 3, 35 min
Thursday (WORK10) - Suzanne day 4 -NOT DONE -on the spot planned rest day. Just too tired!
Friday (WORK10) - Suzanne day 5 -NOT DONE, worked overtime
Saturday (OFF) - 6 to 7 mi walk (last weekend before BRHM, tapering) - functional fitness, 4 hours heavy cleaning
Sunday- (OFF) - Suzanne week 2 day 1 - DONE alternate, total body weights, 30m
Old 04-03-16, 01:52 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Susan - I am sending you (((hugs))) and wishing you much success with your rotation and your nursing career! I retired from nursing 2 & 1/2 years ago and I still remember that big transition from nursing school to the real world. It is a tough one, but this too shall pass!

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 2 - September 2018

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"Its not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently. - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-16, 02:25 PM  
cherimac
VF Supporter

Cheering you on, dear Susan!
Old 04-03-16, 07:43 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Thanks, Pam; it makes me want to cry that someone understands! I am currently studying for my ACLS certification, which I take on April 18/19. I keep thinking I'll be done with studying and simulations and skills tests at some point! Maybe after ACLS.

Thanks for the cheers, Cheri!

So today I did SBF Barre HIIT, 27 minutes. It was definitely harder than it would've been last year! Good way to get started.

Tomorrow it is supposed to be COLD and RAINY. I'm going to have to pound out my miles anyway, though; I have no other chance this week!
Old 04-03-16, 07:50 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Susan! Congratulations on getting your nursing degree! That was a lot of work while raising a family. I am so proud of you. I know you have tenacity, so you will succeed with your fitness goals. I wish you all the best!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-16, 07:50 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Susan - Great start with an SBF today! Good luck with the ACLS, I remember taking that when I worked in ICU. What clinical area are you working in?

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 2 - September 2018

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"Its not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently. - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-16, 12:51 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Thanks for the encouragement, Paine!!

Pam, I am in acute care dialysis. We spend quite a lot of time doing bedside treatments in the neuro unit, ICU, anyplace patients are mechanically ventilated. Those inpatients who can come to our department get treatments in the department. We're a tele unit, everyone is on tele when they are being dialyzed, and we're considered sort of quasi-critical care, which is why we all have to be ACLS certified.

So today it was COLD and RAINY and just generally uccky out, not even icky, just really uccky. It's been so springy lately that this "polar vortex" surprise here in the first week of April feels worse than it probably is!! I was SO tempted to bail on my long slow distance walk today, I SO DID NOT WANNA GO WAAAAH!! It was both cold and rainy. And windy. POOR ME is all I can say.

But I did it. 12.5 miles in. About halfway through I started feeling achy and it took me awhile to realize that it was DOMS from yesterday's workout starting to kick in. I was SO STIFF by the end I'm sure I looked ridiculous! haha.

But I got it done. Might try some easy yoga tonight. Tomorrow I start 4 10s in a row, so stuff's gonna get real for the rest of the week!
Old 04-04-16, 03:26 PM  
antbuko
VF Supporter

I'm tired just reading about your career choice! I met a bunch of nurses several years ago when my niece got married. They were all friends from the hospital. They were all young and they all agreed that you just kind of get used to being tired all the time. Those long shifts sound tough to me! But, I think it is more tiresome sitting on your butt for hours at at time so I think you will overcome this and be stronger for it. You are right to commit to fitness. There will always be reasons why it is a challenge to get in a workout and then the next thing you know, that extended slump becomes a lifestyle, so again, good for you for making the commitment. Good luck!
Old 04-05-16, 05:23 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

SBF Upper Body 5 done! Got home from work about 5:30, changed directly into workout clothes, ate a tiny handful of Cadbury eggs left over from Easter (just enough for a little workout energy), and got right to it. It's 6:22 and I'm done. And HUNGRY. Leftover Mexican lasagna with some guac is sounding awesome.