Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-15, 04:35 PM  
TinaT

Update On My 3 Month Trial @ The Gym (long)

As some of you know, I joined our local Kroc Center about the 1st of June with my husband. I'm giving myself 3 months to see if we use it like we should, are we gaining health benefits with exercise choices, etc.

So, it's been just over the half way mark, and let me say, it's great to spend this kind of time with my husband. That part has been a no brainer from the beginning. While I do appreciate all the facility has to offer in variety of machines, pools, classes, ... I find myself only choosing select areas, which is starting to lead to repetition = boredom. (other than the Helix machine and it's the bomb-diggity!).

I've also come to realize how much I've taken my dvds for granted. Maybe I became overwhelmed because I had too many... or not enough. Who knows? But I got to a place where that sat more than they were being used. NOW, I'm sitting here looking at my collection on the book shelf wanting to use the majority of them all at once. I DO miss certain routines for sure. I miss compound moves, four limbed, great music, etc. .. and the atmosphere they provide, which I never really noticed, until I stepped away from them.

At this point, I will start rotating in dvds with the gym. I hadn't done this yet as to give the gym a real effort and to take a break from the thought of the dvds. I've stayed off the exchange during this time and only read select threads as to not be tempted to purchase etc.

So, what routines do I miss you ask? Let me tell you. I miss just about everything from Anna Benson/Fitness Favorites/Fitprime/Kickbutt for sure. Classical Stretch, which I do, but I want to do more now. Tracie Long. Very short list I know, but it hits all the areas I miss the most.

I'm ready for the second half of this venture and looking forward to familiar faces on dvd when not at the gym.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-15, 06:15 PM  
little bird

Quote:
NOW, I'm sitting here looking at my collection on the book shelf wanting to use the majority of them all at once.
LOL! Stepping away brings a new perspective/appreciation.
Old 07-27-15, 06:25 PM  
TinaT

It sure does. It's just what I needed to do. I was burned out and nothing was motivating me Now I feel like I can bring them back in slowly and enjoy them I like used to.
Old 07-28-15, 07:22 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I didn't realize it had been three months already, I remember your original post.

Glad your DH time worked out well. My husband and I are, how shall I say this, incompatible at the gym (him: "I'm bored. How does this work? How much longer are you going to be?") so it's nice you can work out and enjoy your time together.

Your experience, minus the cooperative DH, is like mine: gym time makes me appreciate home workouts, and my ideal balance would be to do both: gym for cardio variety, maybe a few classes and some of the scary weights machines; home for most of my strength/circuit work and stretch/yoga.
Old 07-28-15, 08:12 AM  
TinaT

To clarify... it's only been 1 1/2 months. I'm half way there. And even though we go together, most of the time we are doing different things. Greg is really into swimming, where as I enjoy a few of the cardio machines and light weights.

Adding my dvds back into this second half of the 3 months should really balance out how I'm feeling.
Old 07-28-15, 11:11 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
To clarify... it's only been 1 1/2 months. I'm half way there. And even though we go together, most of the time we are doing different things. Greg is really into swimming, where as I enjoy a few of the cardio machines and light weights.

Adding my dvds back into this second half of the 3 months should really balance out how I'm feeling.
sorry, re-read your post and I realized you were halfway through your trial run.
Old 07-28-15, 01:17 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
Tracie Long.
when we went to the Disneyland hotel back in 2002, which was pre-digital, I made an audio tape of Tough Tape 1 and played it in my Walkman whilst using their fitness room with free weights.

I also did this "on paper" - P90X Legs & Back - wrote the moves on a small notebook, including the poundage I normally use, and worked out in a Maui hotel fitness room. you could probably use a digital device to remind you what moves to do.

nowadays, it's easy to rip an audio track to your digital device and do a workout wherever.... the best of both worlds!

the one thing I like about working out in a gym is having racks that allow you to lift heavy. once in a great while, i'll follow DH to his school (he's a PE teacher) and use their barbells for bench press, calf raises, squats.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 01:57 PM  
TinaT

I see the benefits of both gym and home dvd use. Though, I still lean toward being home.
Old 07-28-15, 02:57 PM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

Glad to read there have been some positives with your experiences at the gym and hopefully you can find the right balance for the second half.

I can relate to your thinking about DVDs. I have made forays to the gym for curiosity on new group classes, to be with a friend and to be with DH. It's great for the start and then while I'm there gradually my mind drifts more and more to my DVDs until I feel the need to get back to them. Mostly it's the FIRM and similar style workouts that call me back. The gym gives a few good things and fun for a change but home workout gives me something more.

It will be interesting to read your thoughts on the next half of your time at the gym.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 04:53 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagreen01 View Post
Glad to read there have been some positives with your experiences at the gym and hopefully you can find the right balance for the second half. ...

... It will be interesting to read your thoughts on the next half of your time at the gym.
+1!

For years, I've tried to balance gym and home workouts. I always enjoy reading others' experiences too.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote