Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-03-13, 07:31 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Please talk to me about EverNote

I know many of you use EverNote to keep information about your exercise videos and perhaps even rotations. Can current users of EverNote give me any tips, advice, etc. that you've discovered on the most efficient way to use this program? I am downloading now for the first time. I'm particularly interested in tips on how to organize my large video collection information and also recipes. Thanks.
Old 05-03-13, 07:57 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I EverNote and use it all the time - both at work and at home. It's basically my dumping ground for anything I want to keep track of. Recently, I've started even including files in it - like the file I use to track my blood pressure. So, if you track your exercise in a spreadsheet, you can keep it in EverNote.

I haven't used it to track rotations, but then, I don't do rotations, so that would be logical. I do have one note where I keep a list of online workouts I want to try (with links) and part of that note includes which workouts I've burned to DVD (meaning that I have the downloads). I also have links to threads on VF I want to keep track of, but don't have time to read all the time - like the one that lists free workout sites.

As far as recipes go, I have a recipes category with two subcategories - Recipes to try and Recipes to keep. I found that these two broad categories work best for me.

Have fun with it! Personally, I would recommend starting broad and as you need them or find them useful, create subcategories you might want. My biggest category with subcategories is a Travel folder with subfolders for each destination I research and/or go to.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-13, 08:52 AM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

I already shared my love of Evernote in these two threads, and talked about in each how I use it:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=187498

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=185057

I have only recently started to incorporate my fitness life in Evernote. My main project right now is getting all my strength workout sheets in there, because I want a unified way to track the weights I am lifting.

I made a notebook to share with VFers with all the workout logs I've created so far:

Workout Templates

If you have any of those workouts, you can copy them to your own evernote notebook. I am only about 1/3 - 1/2 of the way through getting all my workouts in there. I'd like to improve the sheets to have more room for notes, but I'm doing that later. (It is also driving me nuts that they are not all the same font, but again, I'll have to fix that later.)

Making the sheets is a little bit of work. Evernote has a table feature, but it isn't great, and certainly isn't a spreadsheet. And for some reason you can't copy spreadsheets from excel into evernote and have it be in Table format.

I found a work-around. Make your spreadsheet in Excel. Paste it into Word. Copy it from Word, paste it into your Evernote note. This keeps the table in a real table.

To use the sheets, I copy them into my Workout Log folder and then input the weights/rep I use on my ipad. Or if the workout is a fast one, I write short notes on a scrap piece of paper and then input them later on my desktop.
Old 05-03-13, 09:02 AM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

One more thing on organizing Recipes. It wasn't true when I posted in the thread (that I linked to) or maybe wasn't known to me yet, but the Evernote Food app will automatically take any notes from a Recipe folder and make it into your own little cookbook.

So if you have an iOS or Android device, I recommend that app as well. It is also nice for finding restaurants. I used it while on vacation recently. It is a very pretty app, and it easy to find your recipes. It will also find similar recipes on the web for you.

I don't organize my recipes much. The search feature works so well I don't need to. I do add the tag word "try" to recipes I haven't tried yet, and sometimes I rate my recipes with a tag as well.
Old 05-03-13, 09:07 AM  
mtnmom

I use Evernote for travel. I can put all my confirmations, maps, pdf's of brochures I find online, itineraries, into it. I'll upgrade to premium (or whatever they call it) for $5 for the month so it's all accessible offline. We tend to go places there's no wifi or cell coverage.

I love the little webpage clipper!

I never thought of putting workouts and such on it. Not sure how that would benefit me at this time.
Old 05-03-13, 09:32 AM  
bethellen

I just downloaded it this morning to my ipad. I read about using it for journalling. I haven't played with it yet...
bethellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-13, 10:41 AM  
Sophie

Another Evernote fan. I use it for everything - work, home, travel. I often clip articles from the internet for reading later. It is especially handy for clipping those T-nation articles, when I just want to read info without all the ripped booties hanging in my face

I just cleaned out a few notebooks the other week and noticed I had a lot of check-in posts stored there. It was kind of a nice surprise to find them again and see what I was doing a few years ago.

Like others, I clip info for travel - reservations, things to do, etc, and keep destinations in separate folders. I share those folders with DH so he can see them too. I am planning to upgrade to premium for offline reading for the months I will be away from wifi.

I really like the picture notes feature, where you can take a snap with your phone or iPad and it stores it as a note. I started doing this to document plagiarism (!!) but now that I think about it, maybe I'll start using it to snap workouts from books, to make it easy to take to the gym.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-13, 10:43 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa C View Post
I found a work-around. Make your spreadsheet in Excel. Paste it into Word. Copy it from Word, paste it into your Evernote note. This keeps the table in a real table.

To use the sheets, I copy them into my Workout Log folder and then input the weights/rep I use on my ipad. Or if the workout is a fast one, I write short notes on a scrap piece of paper and then input them later on my desktop.
Lisa, what a great idea! I'm going to start doing this. Thanks for the tips!

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-13, 05:50 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Laura - How do you do this? Do you have separate notebooks for each of those categories? (i.e. Either I don't know how or .... I'd love to have sub-notebooks. For example, I'd love to have a Notebook for Camping, and then separate notebooks for each trip under that, rather than just a note for each trip.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
As far as recipes go, I have a recipes category with two subcategories - Recipes to try and Recipes to keep. I found that these two broad categories work best for me.
+1 - another huge EverNote fan!!!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-13, 07:20 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

Another Evernote fan here!

My favorite use lately: if I see a tip, recipe, idea, etc in the newspaper, I take a photo of it with my iPhone & send it to Evernote. It's been great to do away with all those little bits & scraps of paper that tend to accumulate!

Great to hear about Evernote Food...I'll get that soon.

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
evernote