Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-29-16, 12:00 AM  
nschultz

Need beginner recommendations

My mom revamped her nutrition at the beginning of the year and has lost 40 lbs , now she's wanting to focus on exercise and strengthening her body. She's in her later 60's and has some joint (knee,hip) pains at times.
I thought about suggesting Jessica Smith's Walk Strong program, but even following Jessica's mom may be too much right now. She has some Leslie DVD's and several beginner Essentrics, but wants to incorporate basic strength training too.

Any recommendations for individual DVD's and/or sets?
nschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 05:51 AM  
Demeris

Stephanie Huckabee's powerfit
anything by Joel Harper
Mirabai Holland

your mother's progress is admirable--please pass on our congratulations
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 06:43 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Leslie has that DVD with the one strength program and one walking program - Walk It Off in Thirty Days; and then there's the Tone Every Zone Walk. Those are both good.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 06:49 AM  
sherry7899

Petra Kolber has a strength dvd that is divided up into short segments. It is very non-intimidating for a beginner. I will look up the title and post it later.
She is very encouraging and gives good form pointers.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 06:55 AM  
dnna

I am your mother's age and some beginner workouts are more like intermediate to me.also have her pain issues.
good for beginners
Anna Benson Fit Prime- the ones she leads, flex posture is a hybrid that is really nice
Mirabai Holland is great -all of them
Lee Holden's mom has some really pleasant workouts in a gorgeous garden or water view, I love them
Karen Voight has a nice beginner workout, it does not have ab section
all the shorter walks by anyone really! I like the George Forean ones, lol.
I like step by step strength training with Petra
Margaret Richard Get Better or unplugged.
Gentle Yoga with Jane Adams
I do Am Stretch every morning! Madeleine Lewis. tell you Mom it works! highly rec. by dnna from the board

beginners or seniors too hard:
Firm Basics-you have to build up a little lifting strength/walking strength but then -yes go for it! also the Prime Powers. Perhaps she could do those now
avoid Tracy Longs Stronger Longer for seniors- those definitely feel intermediate to me
good luck!

Last edited by dnna; 06-29-16 at 06:58 AM. Reason: added
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 03:08 PM  
nschultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Stephanie Huckabee's powerfit
anything by Joel Harper
Mirabai Holland

your mother's progress is admirable--please pass on our congratulations
Thank you, I will pass it along to her. I'm so proud of her, she's been overweight all of my life and I've always been active, but never wanted to push anything on her and make her resist.
nschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 07:00 AM  
BamaTanya

Jane Fonda's Prime Time workouts. She has a couple that are cardio, a couple that are strength, and a yoga. I started back with these after a hysterectomy at 50 pounds overweight. They're in my public library and on youtube's Befit: https://www.youtube.com/user/BeFit/search?query=fonda

I would start with Walking Cardio I and Fit and Strong I.
BamaTanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 07:12 AM  
bubbles76

I was going to post this same question. My mother is about 80 pounds overweight, with some pain issues, mostly with her foot and back. She is 62 years old and has never been into fitness. She is sloooowly revamping her diet, mostly trying to watch portion control, minimize salt and sugar, and easing off her sugary drinks. I recently purchased Leslie Sanson's 7 Day Calorie Burn, as it has five short walks and two strength programs on it. It's a compilation dvd consisting of the following program:
  • 1 Mile Get Started
  • 2 Mile Fitness Walk
  • Walk Away Your Stress
  • Heart Healthy Walk
  • Upper Body Fitness
  • Lower Body Fitness
  • The Evening Mile

I don't have a lot of Leslie workouts, but do you think this would be a good place to start? She probably would have to modify the lower body routine, as she has problems getting up and down from the floor.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 05:41 PM  
mlroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I recently purchased Leslie Sanson's 7 Day Calorie Burn, as it has five short walks and two strength programs on it.

I don't have a lot of Leslie workouts, but do you think this would be a good place to start? She probably would have to modify the lower body routine, as she has problems getting up and down from the floor.
Bubbles - I'm recently starting back to exercise after taking so long off I'm falling apart. A few months ago I looked for Leslie's "short cuts" (aka: upper and lower body fitness) and they were expensive. And in the past week or so I saw someone mention the Walk Away Your Stress, which I hadn't heard of before, so I was considering buying that. Just looked up the 7 Day Calorie Blast and it's only $5 new from Amazon Prime! Thank you Thank you Thank you for mentioning it!!! =) Come Friday, IT WILL BE MINE...!

Still just bein' a mel...
mlroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 06:55 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Another vote for PowerFit, & PowerFit Harmony.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, fitprime just right, mirabai holland, senior