Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-14, 07:40 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

inbox.com

Inbox.com has taken over our computer. We don't know how it happened but we seem to be stuck with it. DS tried to changed our default settings back to aol but it doesn't stick.

When I google this, I get tons of information about how to uninstall but many people say if they are successful at getting rid of it, it just comes back and that virus scans don't find it because it's hidden. So then you are offered programs to download to get rid of it but I don't know what is safe.

Supposedly you can go directly to inbox.com to remove it, but if they are hijackers, why would I trust them?

Is anyone here tech savvy or has anyone had this problem and gotten rid of it?

TIA
Old 10-06-14, 09:02 AM  
antbuko

I've actually never heard of it, but I've been using Norton internet security for years and have complete faith in their products. Here's their recommendation for removal:

http://www.symantec.com/security_res...911-99&tabid=3

If that isn't helpful, you could try taking out to Staples or Geek Squad and have them work on it for you.

Also, do you have a router? My router sometimes warns me when I encounter a webpage that poses a threat.

Good luck!
Old 10-06-14, 09:23 AM  
bee1forfitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
Inbox.com has taken over our computer. We don't know how it happened but we seem to be stuck with it. DS tried to changed our default settings back to aol but it doesn't stick.

When I google this, I get tons of information about how to uninstall but many people say if they are successful at getting rid of it, it just comes back and that virus scans don't find it because it's hidden. So then you are offered programs to download to get rid of it but I don't know what is safe.

Supposedly you can go directly to inbox.com to remove it, but if they are hijackers, why would I trust them?

Is anyone here tech savvy or has anyone had this problem and gotten rid of it?

TIA
There's a program called Malwarebytes it's free. If your bought your computer from Best Buy the Geek Squad will remove it for you for free even hidden virus (I subscribe when I bought my antivirus). I also found this to. Have your tried this?? You do need to get rid of it asap base on what you're saying your computer is obvious infected with a form of malware....sorry this happen to you...good luck
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-14, 09:33 AM  
Demeris

I use Geek Squad now. I had a virus that had nestled inside Kaspersky (which had done a much better job than either Norton OR MacAfee but failed here) and that Malwares never saw. And the Geek Squad did all the work. I just had to let them on.

You can use them once or get a subscription. I got a subscription because it covers everything on three computers.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-14, 10:11 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

DH uninstalled it but it's still there. This is consistent with what I've been reading.

We have McAfee and Hitman. We haven't yet run a scan but from what I've read, it hides from virus scans.

We bought our computer directly from Dell. I could contact Microsoft, but they now charge to go in and get rid of things for you. How much does the Geek Squad charge?

I was reading about malwarebytes while researching. So I guess it's safe if Bee has used it.

Thanks for all replies.
Old 10-06-14, 11:35 AM  
intelsana

Another option to consider would be q system restore prior to when this got installed.
intelsana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-14, 11:54 AM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelsana View Post
Another option to consider would be q system restore prior to when this got installed.
I was going to suggest a system restore also. I have got rid of viruses by doing this.
Old 10-06-14, 04:46 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelsana View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsey211 View Post
I was going to suggest a system restore also. I have got rid of viruses by doing this.
I'll keep that in mind but DS did that once and it messed up Word. Not sure why.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-06-14, 06:07 PM  
LCC
VF Supporter

Try what these guys say:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...ake-antivirus/

I've used rkill before for really pesky infections and everything went okay. But, like always, make a restore point before you start, just in case.

Laura (LCC)
LCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-14, 11:16 PM  
Tiny

Dede~DH says malwarebytes as well. He says it searches and removes hidden programs and installs. He's even got the paid version and he is very frugal.

H.O.P.E.=Hold On Pain Ends
D.I.E.T.=Did I Eat That

"If I fall, I will get back up. If I am beaten, I will return."
"Strong is what happens when you run out of weak."
"As the New Year dawns we look back on a year of upheaval through the world and through our lives as well. Life is difficult. For those of us raised with the illusion that if we go to school, work hard, all will be well, that illusion dies hard."
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computer help, computer virus