Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-09-10, 07:45 AM  
rogerskoler

Ok I've heard this more than once - Running & speeding up the aging process?

It seems like I might have read something about it in the past but kind of shrugged it off.

This weekend I was listening to a talk radio station while out jogging and they had a past Mr. Fitness USA, or whatever his title was, discussing fitness.

A lot of what he was saying I agreed with. Then he started talking about people that run and how bad it is on the joints (I get that) and how runners bodies and their overall appearance will age a lot faster from the running. He said if you notice people that run they look older than they are, etc.

I would have shrugged it off again, but I've heard this more than once.

What's your take on it? You ever notice this about people that run?

I'm not going to stop running. I love it if for nothing else than the adrenaline rush and the mental.
rogerskoler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 07:50 AM  
suebella
VF Supporter

LOL, I've heard this too. I'm not sure where it comes from, but I have to say, from a purely anectodal standpoint, the runners I know do *not* look older than their non running counterparts.

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.”
- Author Unknown, but definitely not me.
suebella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 07:51 AM  
Ann1964

I am a runner & all the runners I see look very healthly and not older .
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 07:53 AM  
turbo1

My sister is a runner (mid 40's) and she looks awesome! I hate those type of articles
Old 08-09-10, 07:57 AM  
hotncmom

I can see this in two ways:

1) A lot of runners run outside, increasing their sun exposure which leads to more wrinkling and sometimes that leathery skin look.

2) A lot of runners are very skinny, which as you age, can be less flattering than carrying a bit more body fat.

But I'd say those two things can be prevented with sunscreen (and perhaps a treadmill) and proper nutrition.

As far as aging joints, that's a possibility. Running does strengthen the muscles and bones but the joints have a wear life, like brake pads, right?
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 08:01 AM  
kbehymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post

1) A lot of runners run outside, increasing their sun exposure which leads to more wrinkling and sometimes that leathery skin look.

2) A lot of runners are very skinny, which as you age, can be less flattering than carrying a bit more body fat.

But I'd say those two things can be prevented with sunscreen (and perhaps a treadmill) and proper nutrition.

As far as aging joints, that's a possibility. Running does strengthen the muscles and bones but the joints have a wear life, like brake pads, right?

I agree! Also, there was an article published in the NYTimes a few months ago citing a study that runners had less arthritis than non runners. I think being overweight is more damaging to joints.
kbehymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 08:04 AM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post

Exactly what came to my mind as I read the OP.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 08:13 AM  
bk1

I saw on a CNN medical show this weekend, that they recommend that runners run either barefoot or wear light sandals when running, and absorb some of the impact by landing with knees bent, and I think it was on the ball of the foot.
bk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 08:15 AM  
suebella
VF Supporter

It's important to note that there are no absolutes - I've been running for 24 years pretty consistently and sometimes intensely and my joints are in great shape.

Lots of factors determine joint wear in an individual.

About the looking older part - that, I do NOT know! Maybe I do and maybe I don't but I'm not giving up running.

I sweat off sunscreen pretty fast when running, but on the positive side, my vitamin D levels are great. So - tradeoff there.

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.”
- Author Unknown, but definitely not me.
suebella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 08:16 AM  
Eibhinn

Make friends with sunscreen and this probably won't be an issue.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
running