Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-21-14, 09:46 AM  
dela

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Raising hand! I have tried several times with different instructors and just can't get into it. It's not that I don't feel I get a good workout, or that I dislike the instructor, it's something I can't put my finger on. I just don't click with them! Different strokes and all that.

I know many people here do and have gotten results that met and exceeded expectation and the temptation is strong to defend when it's a beloved training method , but I don't know that the OP was looking for people trying to convince her that she is wrong? Maybe she was looking for some commiseration since it's hard to post "against the tide."
I couldn't agree more with the do what works for you sentiment. I think the responses to look at more traditional kb workouts were because her experiences were with the Scorcher series, so it may not be the bells as much as the workout delivering unexpected results.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-14, 11:55 AM  
daisysunshine

i also think you need to figure out what you... want with kettlebells (If you get what i mean).

for me - I love the 'cardiobells' workouts ie: you use a smaller weighted ball and away you go. (so i love Kettlebell Butts and Guts and Scorcher) because it's non stop etc. I don't even know if I ever got "results" from it because usually i combine workouts with others (so I usually do pilates or Classical Stretch, so I can't go YES this workout did xyz for me). while i need to lose a lot of weight - I love to move and so - i pickthose workouts for that reason.

I had a LOT of other workouts (kettlebell wise) ie: Art of Motion, Kettlebell Way, Lauren Brooks things and for me that wasn't for me. Like I didn't mind doing them, and using the heavier bells totally worked my muscles the way they were supposed to - but i didn't feel the love of swinging and etc the way I do with Brook and Dasha

so if you want more work - go heavier and go with more of the 'traditional' workouts - rather than the hybrids like KBKB

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-14, 02:15 PM  
knitter_mom

Quote:
, but I don't know that the OP was looking for people trying to convince her that she is wrong? Maybe she was looking for some commiseration since it's hard to post "against the tide."
You are probably right, but I think everyone who has suggested alternate workouts isn't trying to say that she is "wrong about KBs", they are just trying to point out that Dasha's style with KBs is very different from traditional KB work. We VFers know there is no one size fits all solution when it comes to exercise, so if kettlebells don't work for you, no problem :-)

And thanks to whoever posted the Onnit site, I love the variations and off-balance ideas he has to do with kettlebells, really innovative and something to make the same old snatches and swings less boring. It made my fitness day!

Kris
knitter_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-14, 04:23 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

It sounds like it depends on what someone is looking for. Cathe goes more for the body builder, or bikini model physique. Kbells give more functional fitness than a specific look. I don't think many people who mainly do kettlebells have that same bikini model kind of physique. But, it makes sense that if you are using heavy weights and training legs a lot, doing kettlebells won't get someone to the same place because it doesn't work the same muscles or in the same way.

Dasha's workouts are more cardio than weights too. So maybe mix them up?
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-14, 05:18 PM  
lila_says

Have you tried simply putting on some good music & doing 200 or more kb swings? It's rather quick (several minutes), kind of zen & gives you an AWESOME but lift! I usually do this prior to starting a workout, it's relatively easy, gets the blood flowing, & the results are GREAT. HTH
lila_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-14, 05:24 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dela View Post
I couldn't agree more with the do what works for you sentiment. I think the responses to look at more traditional kb workouts were because her experiences were with the Scorcher series, so it may not be the bells as much as the workout delivering unexpected results.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitter_mom View Post
You are probably right, but I think everyone who has suggested alternate workouts isn't trying to say that she is "wrong about KBs", they are just trying to point out that Dasha's style with KBs is very different from traditional KB work. We VFers know there is no one size fits all solution when it comes to exercise, so if kettlebells don't work for you, no problem :-)
And this.

Quote:
I know many people here do and have gotten results that met and exceeded expectation and the temptation is strong to defend when it's a beloved training method , but I don't know that the OP was looking for people trying to convince her that she is wrong? Maybe she was looking for some commiseration since it's hard to post "against the tide."
As other have mentioned before we're not trying to convince her she's wrong. We added some suggestions as she said she didn't feel her legs and core worked out enough or as expected, she never mentioned she didn't like using the kettlebell as a tool. I love kettlebells and I tend to do more traditional kettlebell than hybrids and always felt well worked out after done. But, I also love using my dumbbells, barbel, sandbag, ugi ball, etc. I'm so glad there are so many tools to choose from! If she just doesn't click with them, that's not wrong at all. The thing is to keep moving and do what we enjoy doing!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-14, 06:41 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lila_says View Post
Have you tried simply putting on some good music & doing 200 or more kb swings? It's rather quick (several minutes), kind of zen & gives you an AWESOME but lift! I usually do this prior to starting a workout, it's relatively easy, gets the blood flowing, & the results are GREAT. HTH
This sounds awesome. Tomorrow is a strength day & I like the sound of this as a warmup

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-14, 11:22 PM  
suegy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam31 View Post
yes- I tried them again recently and just do not love it . Boring! Too hard on my knees and the back of my forearms and too many squats and just boring to me.
I can understand that kettlebells were boring to you but the workouts usually don't have a lot of squats. That's one thing that I like about kettlebells is that they're not hard on the knees because it's not a lot of squats and lunges. When I first started kettlebells, my knees were bothering me because I was doing more of a squat instead of a swing. When I learned how to do them, the knee pain went away.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-14, 11:15 AM  
Kyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve M View Post
Hi,

Does anyone else out there find that kettlebells just don't work for them? I am working with Dasha's Scourcher Series and find that my legs and core aren't worked the way I expected them to be.

I always had such good results with Cathe (all those squats, lunges and step-ups), but needed a change.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with kettlebells? Thanks.
A kettlebell workout can be anything you want it to be. I have no idea who Dasha is or what her workouts look like, but I can fry legs, arms, core, lungs... whatever with them, no problem. (I am of the RKC school.)

The question really becomes, do you like working with kettlebells? If so, there are exercises/workouts (paper, DVD, more freestyle) that will do what you say you're looking for. If not - hey, you tried, you didn't like; no harm, no foul.

Also, there's nothing wrong with working kettlebell exercises in with your traditional-weights workout. For example, while Cathe and crew are doing their 1,000th set of biceps curls, you could do windmills, around the body passes, figure 8's, sots presses (hahahahahahahahaha - tell me about legs and core after that one), etc. OR - just go back to your regularly schedule programming.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-14, 05:47 PM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
For example, while Cathe and crew are doing their 1,000th set of biceps curls, you could do windmills, around the body passes, figure 8's, sots presses (hahahahahahahahaha - tell me about legs and core after that one), etc. OR - just go back to your regularly schedule programming.
That's why I love kettlebells. They're more interesting to me than isolated muscle exercises.

Personally, I found that kettlebells weren't very effective for my upper body, but they gave me the best butt I've ever had! They're a great method of low impact, high intensity cardio, too, though one limiting factor for me was that they'd always kill my hands. No matter how much training I did, no matter what I used- chalk, four different types of gloves, kettlebell training pads- my hands were always ripped to shreds. And yes, my technique was good (trained with an awesome RKC instructor for a while)- I just have really small hands and I was using very heavy bells.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kettlebell