Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 03-20-20, 07:13 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Cleda - when you jump in, you really JUMP! So sorry about your problems with the setup of Les Mills. I also had problems in the beginning and had forgotten about it. I use my iPad and the connectors. Some day I will try loading the app on my tv again. I have had a problem with workouts pausing on their own during the last few minutes, usually during a stretch. If it happened during a ride I would really be upset, so far, not the case. Still annoying. I almost did that same ride yesterday! I do have cadence and heart rate on my bike readout, so that really helps. I also found a website that listed beginner/int./advanced weight guidelines for BodyPump that helped, too. I made a cheat-sheet that I use with pound conversions. I’m a rule follower and really need some kind of guidelines for any workout, even if I’m using the bottom level of weight or resistance. The last KCM workout I did didn’t give weight ranges and I was trying to read their dumbbells during the workout!

Here's a link to the weights suggested for Body Pump: https://www.fernwoodfitness.com.au/b...odypump-weight

Anyway, enjoy your bike ride today! I hope you don’t get caught in the rain. This weather is crazy!

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt

Last edited by LiliMagill; 03-20-20 at 08:35 AM. Reason: added link
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 06:46 PM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Here's my thinking

30 day free trial. If I like it, you know I'll want the bargain ($9.99 a month vs. whatever the other one was). Sooooooooo .... Instead of having to cancel and redo because I like it and then sign up for the 12 mos. or have them transfer, etc, etc. . Just start out with the 12 month and if I like it after 25 days (and feel a difference) theN KEEP it. . . So yes. I tend to jump in both feet. Think later.

It hasn't served me wrong. Most of the time.

I also saw that a lot of people were having problems with Les Mills site, so I don't feel so stupid. And good to know (not in a good way Lili!) that you had trouble at first also. Someone gave a tip, to download some for viewing offline. Terrific idea. Will have to research that. I'm sure there's A LOT more traffic now then even a week ago and it's sure to get much, MUCH worse when people have to "shelter in place" (like CA already is doing). . . . Just my humble opinion. . . Peloton has that option also. Will have to look more into it ...

While I'm here ~ L&C Peloton & Les Mills Show continues:

3/20/2020:
started with Les Mills #100 BodyPump as someone recommended it as their favorite. I tried it, I liked it. I didn't go super heavy (Cuz one is not supposed to with BodyPump). I did think of you though Lili - cuz I realized, I don't really care what they are lifting. I go by my own body. lol ... I had out my body bars (10, 12, 18) and ass't weights. I had to do some modifications as my shoulder is still twingy and after a bit, couldn't put a bar on the back. I managed. (thank you years of working out and learning modifications.) lol ... I Met Nancy on the Peloton for Denis Morton's 45 minute Rock ride. It was awesome. I then finished with a nice 1 mile walk outside. Life is good. It was in the upper 60s. And of course they are calling for snow on Monday?!?

so, I got total body done (and it had abs) I suppose I could count it (or not). But I did like it. I loved the abs section. so that's a plus. Time will tell. Someone said they like Body Combat episode 80 so that might be on the agenda tomorrow. (If I can move .... I'm definitely feeling it.)

I figure a month is a good amount of time to see if I like it.

Ok, that's it ... hunkering down for the weekend. Good time to work out and stay on program.

Hope everyone else is well.
Waves to all!!!
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 08:52 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Cleda - your body bars are similar to mine: 9, 15, 18, and they worked fine. I wish I could just go with what feels right, but I always second guess myself. By now, I know what I can handle, but I still doubt if I’m doing enough. Anyway, I understand jumping on a bargain! I’ve done it with workouts and yarn! And I have way too much of both! As long as I use them and I can afford them, I am okay with it. I also have Leslie’s streaming for a year.

3/20 - longer than usual dog walk, BodyPump 101, the 30 minute version, then I hit the garden! It was way too warm for March today, so I had to work in the garden. That’s my happy place.

Have a great weekend Everydayers!

Old 03-21-20, 06:05 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

More gardening and a dog walk. Still trying to shake this cold, even though it's mostly gone.

Stay well people!

Old 03-21-20, 09:49 PM  
Helen

Mon 16th TERD - long work day, followed by Derby Committee Meeting
Derby decided to cancel training & bouts until further notice.
Tue 17th Went to nearby school & skated on their smooth basketball court for 90min. Practiced lots of things, but did 30min solid of backward laps
Wed 18th
__6km brisk walk with school
__Debbie - Slim Series - Tear It Up - No Cardio Mix, 71min
Thu 19th TURD
Fri 20th 2 hours walking with Alice
Sat 21st Michelle & Shannon - Biggest Loser - Fit & Trim, 63min cardio/weights circuit

Thankyou Cleda & Lili for keeping us going!!!
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-20, 08:04 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Checking in

Helen: So good to see you. Looks like you've been staying active. That's wonderful!!!! I think of you often (with my wonky shoulder!!! They take FOREVER to heal). Did derby cancel on their own or is your country taking extra measures with the current Covid 19 outbreak?? We have an executive order from our governor to stay sheltered in place. Not going anywhere. Not work, not out, not anything. There are exceptions (pharmacy, medical attention, grocery store) but they want everyone to stay home.

Lili: Hitting the garden sounds wonderful (for you) . Very therapeutic I'm sure. Just my mile walk outside helps.

Waves to everyone else.

me, me and all me:

3/21/2020: Les Mills Body Combat (#61 I think) ** followed by Emma's (peloton) ColdPlay ride + stretch + 1 mile walk outside

** I enjoyed this workout. I think Body Combat and I may become very good friends. I'm going to go out on the website and just do a little web search. I've been picking based on Facebook recommendations. (all 2 of the workouts I've done so far. ) But ... I want something more structured, although not too structured. I printed out "Tone & Strength which is 3 workouts a week. That might work. not sure. Anyway ... onward.

Oh and FWIW? I am sore. very sore in the lats. The BodyCombat reminds me of Aaron Lankford's style and finished with a Tae Bo style. and I do like kickboxing so this is good.

Ok, off I go ... Power Zone Challenge starts tomorrow. The list for the 2 weeks has posted. Life is good. (Be prepared for 8 weeks of Peloton rides!)

Make it a great day!
Cleda
Old 03-22-20, 12:35 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Helen - good to hear from you! With all that's going on in the world, I begin to worry when people don't post. Our schools are closed, not sure how long, and our town has now prohibited gatherings of more than 10 people. Maybe Australia won't be hit as hard as some other countries?
Cleda - I think Tone & Strength is the program I was doing. I've gotten away from it lately, but I have been doing the Body Pumps that it calls for.

3/22 - Peloton today! 30 min. Together we Ride with Robin Arzon. I liked the ride, not crazy about the instructor. Then I did 20 min. Walk & Run with Matt Wilpers. I picked it because I remember Cleda mentioning his name frequently. I really liked it, although there wasn't much walking! It was good for me as I haven't run in over a week. This eased me back into running without killing me or my knees!

Old 03-23-20, 07:21 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Checking in

With life and some other things!

Lili: We are near NYC so things are a little more advanced here than some places in the US, but my feeling is that everyone will be catching up within days. Sat. we went on to an executive "shelter in order" place. Our schools have been shut since last week. Standardized Testing has been cancelled for our students. ADA keeps changing the "stay closed" until date and now we are up to April 20th although I think it will be longer. I saw that Delaware has put their executive order in effect until May 13th?!? I have an (audio) conference call at 2 p.m. today, so I'll know more what my office is doing. Currently? I haven't a clue. We've been "emergencies" only now for the last week. The doctor donated a lot of our Masks, gloves to our local hospital. So there's that. When it's all over, I'm sure we can get more. But for now? More important that they have it. Anyway ... enough of that Doom & Gloom. There's plenty of that if I turn on the news or look at Facebook. This is my happy place, so Happy I shall be.

Yes !!!! Tone & Strength is exactly what I printed out to do. Workous are 3x a week and I think that EVEN with the current Power Zone challenge, I should be able to handle 3x a week. (Even if it takes me 2x as long to do ) It gives me a schedule. I need that. Would you like to check in with one another?? I was nosing around on Les Mills website yesterday and evidently, they are well aware of the "loop" should you ask for the resending of the email. It leaves you signed in for ONE YEAR. So, I still have to figure out if I can get the app working, as right now I'm accessing it through the web on the Ipad and mirroring it. Which is fine, EXCEPT should the travel ban be lifted and I decide to travel. Then I want the app so I have access and I'm thinking I can download/save some workouts that way as well.

I am very sore (still) from the Body Combat workout. But this is a good thing. Obviously, I don't use my lats that much while cycling or treadmilling! Who knew?!? (Insert sarcastic grin here). I am going to give this one month trial a fair shake and see where I'm at in 28 days. I still am kinda lost and bumbling through their interface. I'm not so sure that it is as organized as I would like, then again ?? I may not know what I'm doing either.

Soooooo on to me, me and all me ....

The Power Zone Challenge posted yesterday. But I didn't do the first workout (so unlike me). They requested, since so many of us are home to not ride ahead so much and try and do some rides with fellow teammates. I get that, I respect that. I waited. The silly thing is? I don't plan my ride around 'their" ride times, so most of the times I'm riding alone anyway?!? Sooooooooo at least I waited till the start day and now I can get busy.... I will bank some rides, as there has been a lot of power outages and flickering. I suppose it's from so many people home and using electricity. Although I can't confirm that. I don't need my power going out.

3/22/2020: Treadmill Warm Up (Matt Wilpers - Peloton) 10 minutes, 45 minute interval run (matt wilpers) - getting faster, 10 minute cool down run with Matt Wilpers treadmill .... Then I decided to do a little "bike" workout since It would be the last before the pz challenge. Something Fun. Opted for ally Love. Decided it was time to do "Sundays with Love". Maybe start the series, since it's on hiatus for now. I started with the first one and almost cried when I found out the VIRTUE for the ride was COURAGE. How appropriate in this tumultuous time.... Now mind you, most of her (or all that I've done live) Ally Sundays with Love rides are 30 minutes. I was riding along, happy as a clam at my choice - what's 30 minutes - COURAGE, yeah baby! bring it on ... when I realized????? This ride was 45 minutes?!? I still had 27 minutes to go? Say whhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaattttt???? I had grabbed 2 Nuun tablets to throw in my water (good thing) but I still got a calf cramp at one point. It did pass, but YOWSA ... I ended with Ally Love's stretch. I felt great ....

Lili: I meant to mention that Matt Wilpers is an EXCELLENT trainer. There is NO way I could afford his individual training but he really gives his all for Peloton. Kinda of the "Boy next door" personality. Always refreshing, never swears and just a good all around kid!!!! I love his form pointers, his encouragement, etc. I am glad that you tried a workout of his. AND I should mention that his training methods REALLY work.

Ok ... there you have it. I'm off to read facebook, listen to the news, unplug for a bit, work on my "to do list" and make it a great day. NO doom and gloom for me today. I won't hear of it.

Make it a great day.
Cleda
Old 03-23-20, 06:23 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Cleda - I would be happy to do the rotation with you. I am doing the one from 2019, but it is very similar. I like that it's only 3 days a week. I like to do my own thing in between. I liked Matt Wilpers, liked his form pointers and his general demeanor. I'll try another ride with Robin eventually, I don't like to judge on one ride. She was just a little too over the top with the enthusiasm for me, but she was also doing a solo studio ride after the pandemic was declared, so she may have been trying too hard to make everyone feel happy?

3/23 - it was a low energy day for me, so instead of Body Pump, I did a 60 minute w/o from Leslie that included toning with hand weights. I've never seen Leslie use real weights before! Of course the hardest part was listening to her for an hour.

Our shelter in place goes into effect tomorrow morning, so I hit Home Depot this morning to get some vegetable seeds and trim paint. If I'm stuck at home until the middle of May, I need to be prepared! Come to find out that Home Depot will remain open, along with a lot of other places that I never considered essential. As long as people remain mostly healthy, I am happy to see them not losing a pay check.

Old 03-24-20, 08:03 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Checking in

Lili: Thanks so much for "showing up". I look forward to seeing our chit chat back and forth (as weird as that may sound.) lol.

Waves to everyone!!! Please feel free to jump in and join us. . .

As for the live rides without any studio audience, it DEFINITELY makes for a different feel. I haven't done many (if any?) of Robin's rides. Maybe one? My cycling instructors I use the most are: Matt Wilpers, Denis Morton (because they are the Power zone instructors) and then Christine D'ercole, Ally Love, Sam Yo. I'm sure there's others, but they are my go tos. I stopped doing Jenn Sherman because although her rides are ok, I didn't care for the "F" bomb that she seemed to put in just because. Maybe I'm getting old. CDE also drops it a lot, but for whatever reason, hers don't bother me? Can't explain it. LOVE, LOVE, the series "Sundays with Love". They (to me) are just so doggone comfy!!! And I have to add, I have had a couple of clunkers of those too that I didn't care for. I suppose I am just blessed to have so many options.

I don't understand the definition of "essential" either. Sometimes I shake my head? But I won't go into that here (public forum) .... I feel horrible for the workers at some of those places. But, I refuse to get down about the situation right now. It's day by day and that's all I can do.

So, I work out, make my good food choices (I'm not going to waste the last 11 week journey since I'm so successful) I am on a mission. I am working with my relationship with food and it's WORKING. So I am going to stick with it and continue. The pounds drop off ... (YAY!) and I am fueling my workouts. So it's a win/win.

Ok, on to me, me and all me ......

3/23/2020:
Power Zone Challenge ride with Denis Morton (45 minutes zones 2 & 3). endurance. Right up my alley! Loved it. Followed with a 10 minute cool down ride with Sam Yo (one of my favorites with him) followed by a stretch. I love the fact that I have time for warm up runs & rides and cool down runs & rides because they really make a HUMANGOUS difference in my stiffness/soreness the next day. I truly believe that. . . I may have to add that extra 30 minutes into every workout. Just because!!!! Ok, so I followed it up with workout #1 for the Strength and Tone Les Mills . It was BodyPump #108 ** and I felt great. The wonderful thing about mixing things up is that Les Mills uses TOTALLY different muscles than the Peloton (so I'm not reusing my muscles - except for leg muscles!) So with adequate time (and I have plenty of that right now!) It is the perfect compliment to the Power Zone Challenge. I will admit - I did NOT get my mile in. It was dull, gloomy and I forgot? That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Today the sun is out, so hopefully, I'll get out to walk. I thought of it at 11:30 p.m. and I was NOT going down to the elliptical or treadmill at that point just to get my mile in.

** So here's my Les Mills question. The rotation lists BodyPump #108. When I do a search on the app or the website, I get many #108 BodyPumps. It looks like they have broken it down into pre mixes and they still label them 108 . I am supposing they mean to do the whole thing. (Unless there's a time crunch?) That I could do upper or lower or whatever. Is that correct? I did of course, pick the 55 minute (total) version. I figure that's the best for me. I also want to investigate what the "Trip workouts" are? The title intrigues me. Still so much investigation to do. They also give lots of alternatives, which I like also( i really like Body Combat.) So who knows. I also want to try the Body Step -- although I admit - it doesn't really sound appealing to me (by title) Then again? Don't judge a book by it's cover and I reserve the right to change my mind once I do it.

As for #108? I liked this one much better than the first one I did (and I liked the first one). This one didn't seem to splice/edit the instructors together. It seemed to keep ONE instructor for the whole track. I didn't go back and forth about who was instructing. So I really did like that. I had a timer set on my phone next to the tv so I could see how much time was left on the workout too. I only did that because I had a conference call with work and was cutting it a leeeettttle too close and wanted to pay attention. Did NOT want to miss the call.

Ok, I'm babbling. I have to check my groups, log my macros, get ready for the day, figure out and pre- log my food and hop on the Peloton. I'm feeling great (Physically) so it's time to do a ride or 3 for the challenge.

Make it a great day.
Cleda

PS ... on my LM rotation next up is Bodystep #114 (or Body Combat. Hmmmmm) ...

PSS ... thanks Lili for talking up Les Mills. I am enjoying it!