Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 03-16-20, 05:05 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Cleda - let me just start by saying, Peloton finally got me! They are offering a 90 day free trial! How could I resist. I will be signing up shortly. I am afraid that the Cleda & Lili show will morph into the Cleda & Lili do Peloton show.

But, I need to heal first. My cold is not awful and I’m trying not to do too much so that I can recuperate quickly. Then today, Baxter got spooked by something and bolted past me, smashing into my shin in the process. It really hurt, but the pain went away and I forgot about it. A few hours later, I noticed my leg was feeling tender. I have a lump so big on my leg that I could see it through my pants! I have never seen a lump this big! I’ve been icing it and hoping for the swelling to go down, but I will not be working out today.

Our race has been postponed, along with most large gatherings. It gives me more time to train, so that’s good.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-20, 08:26 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

The Peloton Show

Lili!!! Oh you made me laugh and smile and BOY did I need that!!! So thank you so much. AND I'm happy you're going to do the Peloton App. I seem to see these long "trials" show up and disappear, so not sure I'd wait too long to sign up. They have meditation and yoga and stretch, so even with the lump you may be ok. Do you have a treadmill? (I can't keep track). No matter - they have audio ones also. That you can take outside. I believe you just need an internet connection to connect - and then take it on the road. It will use data though (I think) So it will help you in your training. And I must say - they really WORK. My speed has gone from a jog being 3.5 mph 3.8 mph to a comfortable 3.8 mph to 4.2 mph (Told you guys I'm SLOW) and I have run speeds now of up to 5.5 mph and I would NEVER have had that without Peloton treadmill/audio training. (maybe the weight loss has helped, but still). I did all those RunBets and never seemed to increase my speed. So, there you have it. I am so happy/anxious for you to see how it goes. Please check in to the L&C Peloton show. . . ha! (Can you tell how excited I am for you?)

As for your lump. I am so sorry. I get these randomly and it is bizarre. I hope it goes down quickly for you. Take care and ice/rest (as you have been doing).

Ok, on to world news (not too much) and me. .me .. me ....

Our office (dental) is now closed for 2 weeks. We got word from ADA (American Dental Association) that it should be 3 weeks. We had already begun to reschedule for 4 weeks out, so we'll have to see what happens. I'm sure we will know more in a week or two about this ugly virus. I am taking NO chances and practicing retirement and staying home and doing all that I hope to do when I retire. (Cleaning, exercising, playing on the computer, reading, watching movies.) all that stuff!!!! Yeah - I know many people who say they get bored, I don't think I'll be in that camp. I was a SAHM and the saddest day was when I went to work full time .... Soooooooo ....

My Power Zone challenge is starting on Wed. I'ts a point system this time, with my mandatory 5 rides plus extra credit and up to 3 additional rides. Hmmm... So I'll probably be doing 6-9 rides a week. That's fair warning to you guys.

I am so happy to have an 8 week focus. This is good. I will bank them again (I pray I don't get sick) but one never knows. I can never be too careful.

So, here's my check in:

3/16/2020: Selina 20 minute interval run on the treadmill. (Got my mile and then some in. So proud of myself!!!!) and then did 10 minutes arms with Christine. (tough for 3 lbers and I do feel it. This stuff works even though it's not super heavy weights). and then 5 mintues Dead bug. Deceivingly effective. I figured I'd just do it consistently for this my month of abs 3x a week. How can I not spare 3 x 5 minute sessions? If I can't swing that? There's an issue. Soooooooo I do think even at only 5 minutes it's super effective. I've gone to the advanced version and I now do them on my Bellicon, so I think it's easier on my back and maybe (although not sure) a little more difficult. At any rate, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. and of course, a stretch to finish the workout out.

Ok, off to do some sort of workout and then back to cleaning.

Make it a great day.
Social distancing, lots of hand washing and sanitizing.
Be safe.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-20, 03:29 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

My first Peloton w/o DONE! Since I'm still recuperating, I tried to keep it light, a 20 Minute 80's Fun Walk. Very good use of the treadmill, can push yourself as much as you want, great songs. This could be the start of a beautiful relationship! I followed it with a mile with Leslie.

Old 03-18-20, 08:44 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiliMagill View Post
My first Peloton w/o DONE! Since I'm still recuperating, I tried to keep it light, a 20 Minute 80's Fun Walk. Very good use of the treadmill, can push yourself as much as you want, great songs. This could be the start of a beautiful relationship! I followed it with a mile with Leslie.
THIS is music to my ears!!!!!

Let the L&C Peloton Show BEGIN ....

hahahahahahahahahahaahaha
Old 03-18-20, 08:50 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Checking in

Lili: Welcome ... I am so happy that you liked the treadmill workout. I think they are amazing, but you know - I'm a Peloton Junkie. So in a trade type thing - is Les Mills Body Pump? They are offering a 14 day trial and I may (just may) try it .... wouldn't that be a hoot? You hooked on Peloton? Me hooked on Les Mills? Life is funny.

Me? I'm kinda sad. I fell asleep on the couch and my many many day streak on Peloton came to a halt. I did exercise yesterday, but I DID not do a Peloton app workout. Usually I add a meditation or stretch or abs or SOMETHING if I do something not Peloton workout related. And last night? after a trying day of too much media ... I fell sound asleep on the couch. Never woke up till 1 a.m. Doggone it. . . But ....

I must continue nonetheless. My weekly streak continues (and I think I'm at 62 weeks or maybe 63 weeks) so that's wonderful. And now I start a new. I must forgive myself and carry on. Cuz it's NOT the end of the world. and I AM consistent. We know that.

So here's me, me and all me:

3/17/2020: 2.2 miles on the Elliptical

(So sort of a rest day for me? Lol. . . you get the idea.) Anyway ......

The new challenge has not yet posted. I'm putting off my workout hoping that it goes up today so I can get a jump on it. We'll see. I am also going to get out Nintendo Switch's Adventure Ring and start doing that daily. I may even drag my Bellicon into that room and do it on that. We'll see.

Make it a great day.
Cleda
Old 03-19-20, 07:58 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

I'm close ... very close

Lili: Convince me I need the Les Mills 30 day free trial??? I think I do. I think I need to try it .... I'm "THIS CLOSE" to signing up ....

On to me and my hoping not soon-to-be slump.
I'm struggling. Kinda blue. It's rainy out. It will pass. I will get on the bike and ride and I'll be good ... but ....

3/18/2020: Walked one mile outside (that was IT!)

(and this is why it's ALWAYS important for me to keep moving. I am always just one rest day away from a slump. . . . .)

I did LOCATE my Adventure Ring game. But ran out of time to play it. I did some deep cleaning in the bathroom - curtains, etc .... so that felt good.

Today? I'm unplugging and going for a walk, maybe some Les Mills if I do decide to do the "trial" and tomorrow I meet a friend on the bike, so I am trying.

Make it a great day!
Cleda
Old 03-19-20, 08:19 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Cleda - a 30 day free trial is ALWAYS worth it! Just remember, it's a trial, you don't have to sign up when your free period ends, unless you really want to. I did the Bellicon and JumpSport trials and didn't sign up. I didn't even finish the JumpSport free trial, I just didn't like it. I will sign up for Bellicon some day, as I did like it. I probably won't sign up for Peloton until my Les Mills runs out (I have a 1 year membership) or until I get tired of it. I really like the Body Pump workouts and feel like I've made some gains there. I've only done one Step class, but I liked it. I've done a few Body Combat classes and liked them. The stretches I've done I've really liked. I didn't click with was their Barre class and their Grit Cardio, it was way too intense for me. Like Peloton, they have a huge variety to choose from, many of them I haven't tried yet. Since gyms are closing, I think many online classes are taking advantage by offering deals. Lucky us!

3/18 - 2 miles with Leslie. I really wanted to do more Peloton, but I want to fully recover first. We'll see how I feel later.

Old 03-19-20, 03:51 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

3/19 - my first Peloton ride 30 minute Women of Rock with Jenn something. Pros: I like that she gave cadence ranges, loved the music, very upbeat instructor. Cons: and this applies to Les Mills spins as well, I'm never quite sure where I should be when gearing up or down as every bike is different. I just used the tension that made me work hard.

Old 03-20-20, 06:12 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Waves to all ...

L&C Peloton & Les Mills show begins:

Lili: I did it! I bit the bullet and am trying it for 30 days. I am so optimistic that I will like it, that I signed up for the year (it's also the best bargain). HOWEVER ...... I tried to get it to work yesterday and it wouldn't. I was sooooooooo upset. I fiddled with it for probably close to 30 minutes and then said "FORGET IT!!!" I decided my best way was via the app on the Ipad, that I could then mirror it to the tv with the cord (the same as I do my Peloton and my Bellicon workouts). Then it's on my Ipad should I travel anywhere. All my workouts, right there!!!! Sounds good, doesn't it??? Well, first off I couldn't get the app to download. Had to turn off and reboot the Ipad. Finally got that installed. Opened the app, went to the page and it said "Enter email" I did, hit continue and it wanted me to "Use the email that was sent to you to sign in". I went and found that email and then clicked on the link it provided, took me to the site, I could see the workouts, but if I clicked on one it said, "enter your email" , "Continue" and "Use the link in the email". It was an endless loop. Of course, given my current state, I was getting more and more aggrevated. So I finally thought it was going to work, I see the triangle to start the video and it says, "Please enter your email". I even had them send me a NEW email with a NEW link. NOooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Then I got "You are not authorized to view this video." I was so angry ... (I mean, really really, really irrationally angry) that I just turned on the Peloton App (to make sure it wasn't user error.) It wasn't. I was so stoked to do a BodyPump workout too. And come back and report I did "Total body" AND signed up for Les Mills. So very disappointed.

Fast forward to last night, as I was sitting on the couch, thought "well, better email them and get this straightened out so I can either cancel before it's begun or give it up ...." Low and behold??? It took me right to the workouts and I was able to view them? Of course, I had already worked out and it was late. But I found them. I was able to look around. I wonder if there was a lag time between signing up and getting access or if they were just overloaded with new subscribers? Either way? I hope it's smooth sailing at this point and I WILL do some sort of Les Mlls workout.

I used to love the only Les Mills video that I had (the one with the Backstreet boys soundtrack to it.) and I'm hoping I love it still as much. It will give me the weight workouts I need (that I have a tough time getting in.) I like some of Peloton's, but not that many. They are kinda like strength training "lite" ... although I do think they can/do work. (will continue to do Christine's dead bug. That one I DEFINITELY think works. And let's face it - 5 to 10 mins. of strength is absolutely positively more effective than ZERO minutes.)

I think today I will disconnect and get busy. My workouts haven't been all that great lately, the new challenge STILL hasn't posted and all of these things are out of my control. What I eat, what I do, how I feel all is within my power. So it's time to be happy and thankful (I have tp) and time to move on. This too shall pass.

On to the reason for the post:

3/19/2020: 10 minute Glutes & Legs Strength with Matty, 10 minute Peloton running warm up, 20 minute Country Fun Walk With Selena and then 30 minute two for one Woman History Month Celebration ride.

All in all? It was a good workout. I got a good variety. Not what I intended (wanted to do Les Mills and then running) but I wasn't feeling the love. Couldn't muster the energy to run, but knew I had to keep moving. Should have done the "ColdPlay" ride - but decided to try something new. Nope ... should have done ColdPlay. Did NOT like the twofer one I did!

Today I'm meeting a friend on the bike and we will coordinate a ride. Her call, her ride, her time. But I will have to do it before dinner time. We're expecting nasty thunderstorms. (I unplug all my equipment when not in use: treadmill, elliptical, Peloton) So hard to figure out the weather. Temps in the 70s and up to 80 today and then it's supposed to snow on Monday?!? go figure.

Make it a great day. Hope to check in later with a Les Mills workout.

Waves to all.
Cleda
Old 03-20-20, 06:18 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Cadence

Lili: With your spin bike can you tell the cadence? And I think you are right, you can judge by how much harder or not it is.

That is the one thing I could NEVER give up with my Peloton, now that it's there. Having done my FTP test, I have a range of different zones that are marked specifically for me. I'm sure some of the DIY set ups have it as well, but this is so easy. It's on my screen, I just adjust accordingly. Not much thinking involved. I think that's why the other rides (not Power Zone) kinda frustrate me and are always much easier. They have me push, push, push but never anything really specific. When I ride with any of the PZ instructors on a PZ ride, they tell me SPECIFIALLY where I need to be. So I can look at the screen and just go there. It's not 20 seconds, 30 seconds, it's minutes ... so 2, 5, 10, whatever in a specific zone. When I go back to other rides, it just seems weird. The only exception being Tabatta . They are tough no matter what!

anyway ... I think you have it pretty much figured out. Maybe try heart rate? That's a good indicator. (Sort of):

If you have higher cadence - it's more of a cardio workout and when you do more tension lower cadence it's more of a leg, strength workout. So you could maybe judge it that way?

Ok, gotta run.
Make it a great day!
Cleda