Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-20, 02:17 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post

i'm trying to reorganize my stuff because i'm looking for my WW DVDs.
I hope they reappear soon! It's so frustrating to know something is still here but not be able to find it.

Another success experience for me yesterday. I cleaned off the coffee table and found the copy of Bravetart I'd been hunting for forever! Hurrah! Kind of embarrassing since it was on the coffee table, but at least I found it. Such a good cookbook. I'd even checked out the library copy before they closed so that I could enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
On my walks, I noticed many people are taking advantage of this Shelter in Place to do some serious spring cleaning. Unfortunately Waste Management said at this time they are not taking any bulky items.

I've noticed this too! Lots of lawn and garden work going on, and plenty of other spring cleaning type stuff. The piles of stuff on the curb keep growing.

Need to get motivated to trim the azaleas now that they've quit blooming for a bit, but luckily for me it rained this morning. Gonna wait til the bushes dry off some.
Old 03-31-20, 08:06 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
we have been slowly eating foods in the pantry and freezer that were there for awhile. being home, because DH and I are WFH, makes me more aware of what needs to be dumped/used up before expiration date.
Us too. I noticed some turkey wings that were shoved in the back of the freezer. I was saving them to make broth or gravy. So at the beginning of my sheltering ( I started before it was mandatory because i have a background in public health) I pulled them out and made broth and even used all the meat to make soup and turkey salad. I usually don't keep all the meat after making broth because I am a wasteful American. However since chicken was hard to find for a few weeks I decided to be more responsible.

I haven't done much decluttering other than finally clearin off my desk. I had been procrastinating getting it done but since DD is home from school and taking her classes online she needed a place to study. It's cleared off for her use now and looks nice and neat. I even moved a bunch of stuff I use alot away from the desk into other cabinets and drawers so I don't have to bother her to get something.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-20, 08:30 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
On my walks, I noticed many people are taking advantage of this Shelter in Place to do some serious spring cleaning. ...

Meanwhile at the Library, while we are closed
on my walks, i noticed "newbie" walkers in our neighborhood. i can tell they're new because their shoes look new! ha ha! or i saw an entire family walking together and they've probably got cabin fever. and it's great to see more walkers outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I usually don't keep all the meat after making broth because I am a wasteful American. However since chicken was hard to find for a few weeks I decided to be more responsible.

I haven't done much decluttering other than finally clearin off my desk. I had been procrastinating getting it done but since DD is home from school and taking her classes online she needed a place to study. It's cleared off for her use now and looks nice and neat. I even moved a bunch of stuff I use alot away from the desk into other cabinets and drawers so I don't have to bother her to get something.
i LOL at the "wasteful American" comment because that's me before. and the clearing a place for studying - yes, i've done that too.

it's interesting how things get put down and take permanent residence, and in the process, earn entitlement rights.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-20, 08:56 PM  
Vantreesta

No decluttering for me today. I cleaned the kitchen. Man I would rather be working out or crocheting or sleeping or....
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-20, 02:35 PM  
BunnyHop

I'm slowly assembling bits and pieces to make a mask for myself. Thought I'd give it a try to see how it goes since I have plenty of material and even some cotton twill tape.

On the other hand, clearing off the sewing machine table is an ongoing chore. It had become a dumping ground for all sorts of craft related stuff that didn't have a spot to call its own.

My other project is reorganizing my books throughout the house. I've begun to rearrange one of my rooms to be a sitting room for tv and reading. Slow process, but I'm clearing off book cases to move them and that takes forever.

Need to recreate a place to do my cross stitching and so far haven't succeeded in making a good little nest for myself. I'll get it eventually, I suppose but the in between stages are awkward.
Old 04-01-20, 03:16 PM  
Vantreesta

Working on more paper clutter in the dresser in the guest room downstairs.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-20, 06:06 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
No decluttering for me today. I cleaned the kitchen. Man I would rather be working out or crocheting or sleeping or....
.. SAME!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-20, 10:20 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Since we're pretty much shut in as the pandemic runs its course, I have convinced my mom to do a master bedroom and bathroom purge with just a little tweaking with regards to reorganization. Once we finish her room, I'm going to work on the walk-in closet in the guest bedroom/knitting room/workout room. I need to make more room for yarn on the shelves. It's already about 60% yarn on the shelves but I need even more shelf space because I've got yarn overflow like you wouldn't believe and it's getting difficult to access/find what I need when I start/plan a new knitting project.

But today we started in her walk-in closet, out of which came about 2.5 kitchen garbage bags of clothing to donate/recycle. And a couple nice pairs of shoes to donate that she only wore once or twice before deciding NO MORE HEELS (not even short heels like these ones). Her heel-wearing days ended a long time ago and she has finally come to terms with this. Also donating a tall plastic rolling clothes hamper in perfect condition. Sounded good in theory but Container Store has our favorite hampers so she was just using the plastic rolling hamper in the corner to hang damp towels on, etc. for the past few years. Also decided to donate 2 leather coach purses in not-so-great condition so not worth it to try and sell on ebay.

We filled 2 garbage bags with old shoes in very poor condition, some old medical supplies that can't be used by anyone, an extremely worn out purse that we're not sure why she didn't let go of during the last great purge, and some other junk that couldn't be donated.

We're about 70% of the way through her closet. It's going relatively quickly because we do some decluttering every year or two.

Findings from today's purge:

I found 5 Kohl's clothing items that still have gift receipts attached to the price tags so I can return them to Kohl's once the stores reopen for business since my mom admitted she doesn't want them. I think I bought them as gifts for her originally and she didn't want to hurt my feelings by returning them at the time.

She also said I can sell her smallish leather coach purse that she only used a few times years back. It's pretty old but great condition so I think I can net enough money to make it worth listing on ebay. Plus, easy-to-ship item.
adawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-20, 01:24 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Wow Dawn, you have been very productive. DD went through her clothing and left a garbage bag full of stuff to get rid of. I went through it and found a few things I might use to make a no-sew mask.
A friend made us some with a sewing machine and they are very nice( mine is plaid) but the elastic goes behind and on top of the head and I want to see if I can make one with ear loops to see how that works. Even though I hardly go out, around here you can’t go to a grocery store without one. I even keep mine around my neck on walks. Last week I went on a very long walk/hike at one of the local wildlife management areas and a gaggle of teenagers were walking in the opposite direction in a row. It was obvious they weren’t going to move into single file formation so I put on the mask. It must be hard getting out for fresh air while keeping an appropriate distance in crowded cities.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-20, 06:25 PM  
Izzy

Congratulations you guys for putting this time to good use. As my walks continue so has mountains of stuff noted on folks curbs. It's unfortunate Goodwill is not open. So much of this stuff is good and could easily be donated. I do have stuff but I put it aside until it opens.

But my work projects are going awesome. Being in my library basically alone most days I am getting so much done in the file room, record retention stuff shredded and started 2 projects on Friday that have been on my to do list forever. One other department head came and cleaned her office which in my opinion was filled with clutter and crap. It looked so much better.

Tomorrow we are getting more rain so I plan to do another good cleaning day and will probably have more stuff for Goodwill.

Happy Easter to everyone.

Tags
de-clutter, declutter, decluttering, downsizing, minimalist, minimizing