Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-13, 07:39 AM  
alisoncooks

Results with barre: 1 brand or variety?

I was just thinking about barre ... (*sidenote: weird vidiot tendency, to sit around thinking about a workout genre*) ... anyway, and how it seems that many of the people who get results are doing one particular brand fairly exclusively. A P57 rotation, Ballet Body rotation, a Bar Method rotation, etc....

So I'm curious: if you've seen "results" with barre or barre-like workouts (weight loss, strength, slimming) were you doing mainly one brand of barre or a variety from many brands?
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 07:54 AM  
altinker

I have a fluidity bar and fluidity dvds, bar method, p57, and various other random barre workouts. For me, I noticed better arms, tightened tush, slimmer hips from doing barre. I thought Bar Methods personally worked for me because they had proper set up for me. I found P57 to be more fun, but it wasn't something I reached for everyday like I do Bar Methods. I like the calm aspects of the Fluidity dvds, but the 30 minute workouts that come with bar got to be kind of easy for me, and the Real Class workouts seemed too difficult and kind of boring.

If you like a faster pace to your workouts, I'd definitely recommend P57, but I feel like I got the best results from Bar Method. Now, for abs, I didn't feel any of them really made my abs look fantastic.
altinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 08:12 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I definitely do better with a low weight, barre like workout. I know it's controversial, but I just didn't like the look I got from doing CLX and as much as I loved the Firm it exacerbated my back and hip.

I've gotten down to my prepregnancy weight and have slimmed down a lot doing CS, Ellen, and barre. I'd have to say my abs are my weak point and probably need to do some serious ab training. Maybe HC?

I could also stand to lose some more weight but that's all about the kitchen and snacking. Which is sad . It's vanity pounds, though, and I feel pretty good at this weight.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 08:26 AM  
PhyllisG

I agree with Jackie. I had always gotten great results with the classic Firms. I can't say that about CLX or even Cathe tho I did her workouts for years.
I prefer P57 over all the other barre workouts. I also like Pop Physique but don't reach for it as often. The absolute best results were from TA and I know she isn't barre but it works for me.
I did slim down in my arms, butt and thighs which is what I wanted. I had really gotten too "bulky" for my taste.
I also like light weight hi rep and do work that in during the week.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 08:28 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Alison, very good question (and I totally understand about sitting around thinking of workout genres). I think it may come from sticking to one particular brand for the most part. I was doing mainly Core Fusion for several months this past spring into summer and I did see nice slimming in my legs and a cinching in of the waist area. Now I was walking also and adding in some KCM/Jari weights, but mostly doing Core Fusion and that's what I think most of the waist results came from anyway. So if I had mixed in Barre3 or P57, would I have noticed those same results? Not sure. Just my guess, but it was mostly because I stayed with the Core Fusion brand.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 08:30 AM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Barre was on my mind this weekend, too. I re-acquired a Fluidity barre and DVDs. I was trying to remember which method I liked the most and it was Fluidity. Although it is slow and a little tedious, I really appreciate the setup time. It makes me think about every move and really give the movements my full attention.

I also really like BarreWorks (which is only available in the UK). These DVDs have a very traditional Lotte Berk warm up and routine. (Think folding in half while doing big arm swings on the way up.)

I do not like P57 because of the fast pace. I didn't care for Bar Method live classes, but that was because they call you out by name for form tips and my name was called a lot. Mostly because I couldn't get my leg high enough, but that's something that can be resolved with a command. I took a barre blast class at a local Pilates studio and couldn't walk for 3 days (not in a good way).

I'm trying to find my barre niche and Fluidity and BarreWorks will fill that bill for now, but I would like to find some options to branch off with later on down the road.

ETA: I also really love Classical Stretch/Essentrics, which is barre like. They always get my money! I'm really looking forward to the Essentrics barre DVD that is supposed to be released later this year!!
Old 08-19-13, 08:33 AM  
TinaT

Oh why did I click on this thread!? It brings up all kinds of emotions in regards to barre. I so want this to be my main method of exercise .. intermixed with Classical Stretch. Sticking with it is a whole other thread.

Personally, I would try out different instructors and find what works for you. I've never done a set brand for any form of exercise so I wouldn't know if you should. Do what motivates you.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 08:43 AM  
mle777

The best results that I ever got from exercise (I dropped about 2 1/2 sizes, but only about 8 pounds) was when I combined the original Bar Method workouts, the Lotte Berk workouts, and walking. They were the first bar workouts that I ever owned and I slimmed down quickly once I started combining the three (previously I had been doing the Firm, Minna Lessig, and Kathy Smith). I probably would have stuck with that combo forever, but soon after that I discovered Video Fitness and well we know what happened after that

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 08:50 AM  
sophiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I've gotten down to my prepregnancy weight and have slimmed down a lot doing CS, Ellen, and barre. I'd have to say my abs are my weak point and probably need to do some serious ab training. Maybe HC?

Jackie

Me, too! Well, not the CS. I did Pure Barre and alternated it with Ellen. I switched over to Cardio Barre bc the tucking in PB bothered my back. I think there's a lot of it in PB?

I'm, sure you look great, Jackie!

P57 I enjoyed but I did it for 4 months and was unhappy with the results. I think I have to mix barre in with other stuff.
sophiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-13, 08:52 AM  
hotncmom

I really like P57, but I've never been drawn to doing it regularly. Ballet Body is my preferred barre. I have almost all of the downloads and actually prefer those to the DVD's because it is easy to mix and match whatever I feel like working that day, and I can add on other things (like TA Mat unweighted arms).

Core Fusion was what I started out with, but I outgrew it. I still do their Cardio and Yoga DVD's from time to time.

Fluidity was just boring to me. Booty Barre was too frantic with too many side bends.

I like Suzanne Bowen's stuff too, but the DVD's I have are not really what I would call barre, they're more of a hybrid.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
the bar method