Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-20, 03:59 PM  
pharma_gal

Any recommendations on self help audiobooks? Thanks!
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-20, 06:01 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
Any particular aspects appeal to you the most?

Oh, and oops: Editing to add that I've actually read these books, haven't heard the audio books. Sorry. See below for the audio books I've liked along these lines:

I've recently read, and recommend these:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...epression-cure

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...on-being-human

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...g-your-element

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23492653-the-path

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/..._About_Running (mostly a memoir, but still very thoughtful)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ly-sh-t-moment

Audio books? Haven't heard a lot, but did listen to both of Rachel Hollis's "Girl Wash Your Face" and Girl Stop Apologizing. She is not without flaw, and they're aimed at a younger demographic than mine. Still found them interesting.

I read Demi Moore's Autobiography Inside out and found it very thoughtful. She narrates the audio book herself, could be interesting. (I've always liked her voice)

In non-self-help terms, but still interesting, I loved Gabourey Sidibe's This is Just my Face, Try not to Stare. She does the audio book herself and is wonderful, brave and hilarious even if some of what she went through is kind of grim.
Old 01-29-20, 06:42 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I'm reading The Sea Garden by Marcia Willett. She is quickly becoming a favorite author. I just sink into her stories and characters.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-20, 07:23 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I'm reading The Sea Garden by Marcia Willett. She is quickly becoming a favorite author. I just sink into her stories and characters.
I really enjoy her books also. It is almost like having more books by Rosamunde Pilcher. They both have lovely British settings and interesting characters.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-20, 08:24 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I don't think I can keep posting all my reading-in-progress--too many! The newest one I have started is A Life Worth Breathing by Max Storm.
Where do you find the time? My "to be read" stack keeps growing and I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed and like I'll never get to all of them.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-20, 08:25 PM  
Carol K

Read a chapter a day.
Old 01-29-20, 09:15 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
Also wondering about your particular interests. I don't use audiobooks but might be able to point you in the right direction from a professional perspective (I'm a psychologist ).

Annette, that's just it--I have all of these half-finished books b/c I don't have the time! I usually read something before bed, but that's just a few pages a night and goes slowly. I've been reading Thich Nhat Hanh's very short book How to Fight for months now b/c I keep putting it aside.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-20, 09:36 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
Where do you find the time? My "to be read" stack keeps growing and I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed and like I'll never get to all of them.
I'll never live long enough to read all the books on my TBR list!

DH is a book collector and he won't live long enough to read all the books he owns!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-20, 05:31 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Just about finished listening to Know My Name by Chanel Miller. She writes her story really well. I can't help but think Brock Turner should be made to listen to the entire book, as well as the judge that let him off so easily. I also wonder if the Stanford admissions people who happen to read it might feel a little bit of "wow did we screw up" as they read.
Old 01-30-20, 09:03 PM  
Cher

Surprisingly I read three books this month. (Usually lucky if I finish one book a month ).

First I read “The Bookish Life of Nina Hill” by Abbi Waxman. It was sort of a light fun book.

Next I read “Before We Were Yours” by Lisa Wingate which I thought was good and very heart wrenching since it’s based on true events.

Then I read “The Girl With Seven Names” by Hyeonseo Lee....a true story based on her defection from North Korea which I found to be an incredible story.

Currently reading “Firefly Lane” by Kristin Hannah. I’m not to far into it but it’s good so far.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, winter reading