Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-19-09, 02:43 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

in my case, no. i did callanetics before - it's good at firming up. i love barre work.

but my weight loss had more to do with heavier lifting and step aerobics, and running 1x/week.

currently, i still follow a similar regimen (weights, cardio, walking), but my barre-work is used as a warm-up to my main workouts.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 10:58 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tan3374 View Post
It essentially comes down to calories in calories out
ITA. Barre workouts can work in conjunction with calorie-counting, but since they burn fewer calories you have to be *more* vigilant about what you're eating. But it can be done.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 11:04 AM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Just chiming in here to remind that cardio is not only needed for weight loss. Even if you haven't got one ounce to lose, you should be doing a certain amount of cardio a week for your HEART, so don't eschew it completely just because you don't need it for fatloss!

I too have just purchased Fluidity and the barre. Haven't done it for a few days because I have low back problems when I do! I need to work on my form more. But from what I have seen of it, I don't think for ME it would be 'enough' on it's own even for fitness levels. It is a great 'adjunct' to other work, but IMO not enough to be 'all' one does.

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 11:23 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~^~RedFlame~^~ View Post
Just chiming in here to remind that cardio is not only needed for weight loss. Even if you haven't got one ounce to lose, you should be doing a certain amount of cardio a week for your HEART, so don't eschew it completely just because you don't need it for fatloss!
I'm not sure that this is strictly true. There are plenty of people all over the world with strong healthy hearts who do no more than walking*, and not necessarily "cardio" walking.
I do think that for best overall health, moderation and consistency is best.

*And basic daily chores, movement, etc

Last edited by Lucky Star; 08-19-09 at 11:24 AM. Reason: clarity
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 11:57 AM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I'm not sure that this is strictly true. There are plenty of people all over the world with strong healthy hearts who do no more than walking*, and not necessarily "cardio" walking.
I do think that for best overall health, moderation and consistency is best.

*And basic daily chores, movement, etc
I don't think too many Americans want to walk the way these folks do...unless you live in a place like New York City Some don't even have driver's licenses!!!

Not too hijack the thread...but doesn't barre work mostly work the lower body??? How is it for upper body??? I'm counting on all my walking and along with portion control (calorie counting) and more traditional strength work to get rid of the excess fat TIA

Back to your scheduled thread
Old 08-19-09, 12:05 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcjasp View Post
I don't think too many Americans want to walk the way these folks do...unless you live in a place like New York City Some don't even have driver's licenses!!!

Not too hijack the thread...but doesn't barre work mostly work the lower body??? How is it for upper body??? I'm counting on all my walking and along with portion control (calorie counting) and more traditional strength work to get rid of the excess fat TIA

Back to your scheduled thread
I agree, I am with the AHA on needing that heart work. That said, I should clarify to say "aerobic" levels, not necessarily what many HERE consider "cardio" levels. You need to get your heartrate up beyond just a 'stroll', I stand by that. If you have a VERY active lifestyle, you may be getting the needed amount already, i.e. as mentioned, New York walking (eeeew the carbon monoxide they must inhale!) or living in the alps, haha, but most Americans today simply don't move enough. Too many buttons to push.

RE: the upper body, I find barre work seriously lacking. There are some pullups in Fluidity, but I definitely add upper body (squeeze type) when I am on a barre rotation (this is my first, LOL!).

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 01:33 PM  
videofit

It doesn't really matter what type of workout you do if you eat too much, and that includes "clean eating." When I cut my calories, I can "eat dirty" and still lose weight.
Old 08-19-09, 01:42 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~^~RedFlame~^~ View Post
RE: the upper body, I find barre work seriously lacking.
red - i agree. the only barre type workouts that actually have good UB work is kathy smith's total body lift, and element ballet. element ballet - you're not lifting any weights, but she's got you holding up your arms a lot. one of the 10 minute solutions w/suzanne bowen has you holding UP HIGH light weights FOREVER. can't recall which one that was, and it's only 10 minutes!!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 02:27 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
It doesn't really matter what type of workout you do if you eat too much, and that includes "clean eating." When I cut my calories, I can "eat dirty" and still lose weight.
So true.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 04:19 PM  
sundari

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
red - i agree. the only barre type workouts that actually have good UB work is kathy smith's total body lift, and element ballet. element ballet - you're not lifting any weights, but she's got you holding up your arms a lot. one of the 10 minute solutions w/suzanne bowen has you holding UP HIGH light weights FOREVER. can't recall which one that was, and it's only 10 minutes!!
Its "Pilates Perfect Body" I think.

Tags
stairs