Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-15, 11:04 AM  
Stephanie_B

ddj I had the same experience with high level dosages, although with lower level (like 5 mg) it's not as bad. I also don't do soy and IIRC the brand I use doesn't have soy (I know it's gluten, yeast free and something else I can't remember). But like when people take melatonin, they start really high too and the lower, the better or it can end up being really crappy going off.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-15, 11:42 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
I'll toss in my experience with DHEA. If it works for you, great. But it did nothing for me except make my face break out. It's a product you want to be careful with. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to experiment with it on your own.
Now, that we have veered well past the "no supplement talk" guidelines, I'll chime in.

I strongly agree with ddj and Steph! Please consult a physician before messing with your hormones. DHEA can raise testosterone levels causing acne, facial hair, cholesterol elevation, etc. It is a precursor to all your hormones, including estrogen and thyroid. Be careful about just ambling into any vitamin store and grabbing a bottle of anything. Studies have shown that many brands don't contain the ingredients you think you are buying. And may have harmful or allergenic ingredients.

Just sayin.'

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-15, 01:32 PM  
Stephanie_B

I also want to add my physician (functional medicine) is who started me regimen; not me. The only things I've added before talking with her have been Increased dosage of fish oil, which she agreed with at a followup visit.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-15, 02:50 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Please consult a physician before messing with your hormones. DHEA can raise testosterone levels causing acne, facial hair, cholesterol elevation, etc.
Yes, quite easy to tell when you've taken too much. When you take too much vitamin C or magnesium, you get diarrhea. So take less.

The DHEA I take doesn't contain soy. It may have been derived from soy like vitamin C may be derived from oranges, for example. I am hypothyroid and don't eat soy. No problems after decades of use.

I am very lucky to have a top rated Beverly Hills endocrinologist who has other doctors as patients, so I know I am in good hands. If you live in a small town with one doctor, you may be stuck.
Old 06-11-15, 02:57 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
As for the calorie thing: I once carefully weighed and measured all of my food and got down to 900 calories a day. I knew it wasn't wise but I was desperate to lose weight. I did this for two months and lost nothing. I've done all kinds of diets and had no success.
Have you had an xray or MRI of your abdomen to make sure you don't have a tumor? I would be very concerned. Better safe than sorry.

Otherwise my guess would be because you were eating too few calories, you developed the distended belly you see on starving people in Third World countries.
Old 06-11-15, 04:02 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Actually, my problem isn't my stomach, I've just gained a lot of weight. Although I'm sure that would be too few calories long term, I would think I would have lost weight initially. I have had difficulty with weight loss resistance most of my life and have only been able to get my weight down a time or two with no idea why I lost or why I eventually gained it back.

All I was trying to say was that not everyone will have the same results doing the same thing. I know it is frustrating to deal with weight gain and not be successful and I don't want anyone here getting too down on themselves. Easier said than done, I know.
Old 06-11-15, 04:38 PM  
Lannette

Some scary stuff. Scarier than a little belly fat.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-15, 03:10 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post

Some scary stuff. Scarier than a little belly fat.
Seriously! My aunt thought she was just eating too much so had indigestion all the time but found out she had colon cancer and an abdomen riddled with tumors. Sadly, she went to the doctor a little too late. So never assume anything when it comes to your health.
Old 06-13-15, 11:24 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Now, that we have veered well past the "no supplement talk" guidelines, I'll chime in.

I strongly agree with ddj and Steph! Please consult a physician before messing with your hormones. DHEA can raise testosterone levels causing acne, facial hair, cholesterol elevation, etc. It is a precursor to all your hormones, including estrogen and thyroid. Be careful about just ambling into any vitamin store and grabbing a bottle of anything. Studies have shown that many brands don't contain the ingredients you think you are buying. And may have harmful or allergenic ingredients.

Just sayin.'
Good post, Alta.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-15, 03:00 PM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

Quote:
Be careful about just ambling into any vitamin store and grabbing a bottle of anything. Studies have shown that many brands don't contain the ingredients you think you are buying. And may have harmful or allergenic ingredients.
Sorry I didn't get to this earlier, but yes, Alta is right, and the unregulated nature of supplements is a major reason why I ask that dietary supplements not be discussed here.

I need to ask that everyone drop the supplement topic or I will have to close the thread.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
WWWendy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abdominals, aging, belly fat, diet, menopause, menopot, muffin top, over 50, pooch, post-menopause