Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-15, 05:55 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jags View Post

Both the link and your response to your query made me laugh, very hard.

Guess I better look up 'my' Socrates quote, it could be from a gas station attendant, too.
Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman

both book and movie?

Yup, agreed. There are no ordinary moments.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 05:58 PM  
Cybersparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons11 View Post

My illness has touched every, and I mean every, facet of my life. I have to accept where I am, however difficult. I live moment to moment, not day by day as my wellness can turn on a dime. I say it's like riding a roller coaster in the dark. That kind of perspective changes a person. Yes, it means not fighting your emotions too...grieve a loss, allow room for it while at the same time looking forward.
Yes, this is the silver lining to difficulty everyone always talks about. The "stronger" part of, "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger." I might add, it can also makes you wiser with a deeper appreciation for life & brings laser like clarity with no time for BS from myself or anyone else.

"Riding a roller coaster in the dark"! Wow. So true & insightful. No choice but to hold on & go where it takes you. Learning trust through surrender. Gourmet food for thought, buttons11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I was intrigued because of the modern idiomatic use of the term 'energy.' I found this:

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/05...crates-energy/

I guess I won't be exploring any of the unfamiliar dialogues any time soon.
I have changed mine too Good blog to check quote validity.

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf! ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 06:16 PM  
buttons11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybersparkle View Post
Yes, this is the silver lining to difficulty everyone always talks about. The "stronger" part of, "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger." I might add, it can also makes you wiser with a deeper appreciation for life & brings laser like clarity with no time for BS from myself or anyone else.

"Riding a roller coaster in the dark"! Wow. So true & insightful. No choice but to hold on & go where it takes you. Learning trust through surrender. Gourmet food for thought, buttons11

Yes, clarity. Its just basic survival instincts really...BS seems kinda frivolously fluffy at this point. You are kind. This "in the dark" with severe asthma biz is frightening though. Certainly a white knuckle experience.
"The secret to change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new" Socrates NOT the Greek one, Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book that Changes Lives by Dan Millman, 1984

"Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace" Dalai Lama

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." Earl Nightingale

Still training to outrun the zombies buttons
buttons11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 06:38 PM  
Anny

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons11 View Post
[COLOR="Purple"]
Oh Anny...I'm so glad you have turned things around. I have had a very similar experience. I no longer have that imposter of a husband, I have the real deal, one who loves me and supports me no matter what. I'm currently battling asthma. And although my focus on wellness started the year before this asthma started...this illness has put a punctuation mark on it. I've lost 26lbs without strenuous exercise or restrictive dieting. My focus has been on joy of movement, food as nourishment with enjoyment in moderation and proper rest and sleep!
Buttons, thank you for this. Great advice! I'm so glad you are out of that horrible relationship, and I am sorry to hear about your asthma.
Old 06-10-15, 05:40 PM  
videofit

Ladies, I have good news and bad news. Just had my annual checkup and blood work (not just for thyroid) with my endocrinologist. Everything is “perfectly perfect.” That’s my good news. Don’t worry, there is some good news for you, too! Read on.

I told him about this ‘menopot’ discussion, and this is a summary of what he said (it cost me $300 but you get it for free ):

Yes, metabolism slows down with age, which means you have to compensate by eating fewer calories. Many studies done over the years have consistently shown that people underestimate their calories/portion sizes and often “forget” to add in calories for “just a spoonful” of ice cream or “just a bite of that donut,” etc. It all adds up.

Lack of sleep from hot flashes and mood swings will cause fatigue so women tend to eat more for energy and those calories (and pounds) pile up. When I don’t sleep well I crave sugary foods (more than usual), for example.

He said when women are on hormones, even bioidentical, if they don’t control their calories they will gain weight, same as someone not on hormones. Certainly true for me (on bioidenticals).

In rare cases, you might have an abdominal tumor or fibroids causing your big belly so get the appropriate scans and tests to be sure. Many years ago I looked like I was five months pregnant because I had fibroids so had a hysterectomy.

“Everyone wants a magic pill.” Well, it seems there might be a magic pill… DHEA. It can lower your cortisol levels which can affect weight gain. Who knew? Coincidentally, around age 45, I started taking 25mg DHEA every morning, since the body slows down production after 40 in most people. In the past year I increased my DHEA to 50mg daily, considered to be the maximum dose for most. One way to tell it’s working is if your skin gets a bit oilier (great if you have dry skin) or your sex drive increases. I stock up when RiteAid has a sale.

So things aren’t as bleak as you feared!
Old 06-10-15, 07:38 PM  
momofcha

Thanks video fit. "Must get DHEA"....

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-15, 07:17 AM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
Thanks video fit. "Must get DHEA"....
I 2nd that!

"By far the most important application is those 18 inches between the table and your mouth. Your diet. Eat clean to get rid of fat." Robert Kennedy, Oxygen Magazine

"Having the body you want starts with loving the body you have." Mandy Ingber, Shape Magazine
Denise R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-15, 08:49 AM  
muffins135

I'm concerned that DHEA can be made from soy…I don't do soy.
http://www.webmd.com/diet/dhea-supplements
muffins135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-15, 09:31 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffins135 View Post
I'm concerned that DHEA can be made from soy…I don't do soy.
http://www.webmd.com/diet/dhea-supplements
$^#&...there's always a catch!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-15, 10:50 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I'll toss in my experience with DHEA. If it works for you, great. But it did nothing for me except make my face break out. It's a product you want to be careful with. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to experiment with it on your own.

As for the calorie thing: I once carefully weighed and measured all of my food and got down to 900 calories a day. I knew it wasn't wise but I was desperate to lose weight. I did this for two months and lost nothing. I've done all kinds of diets and had no success. So it isn't always about not being aware of what you're eating or eating too much, although it very often is.

It's important to look at all possibilities, but don't beat yourself up if you don't get the results others do. Everyone is different.

Tags
abdominals, aging, belly fat, diet, menopause, menopot, muffin top, over 50, pooch, post-menopause