Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-16, 11:22 AM  
BunnyHop

Want to get a flat weight bench, anyone have one?

I like the look of the weight bench Kelly Coffey Meyer uses in her videos, and I think I'm ready to upgrade.

I've been using an old Reebok step, but it's so low to the ground it's not quite right for everything I'd like to do.

Body Solid seems to make a good one, but there are others out there.

Another issue is putting it together. Not sure how clever I feel about assembly.

Anybody have some experience with getting one of these type benches and putting it together? Thoughts on quality?

Just wondering. Thanks.
Old 12-03-16, 02:17 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

which Kelly video is that?

i googled images for Body Solid weight benches, and it looks like a pretty standard style bench. i have a Danskin weight bench that adjusts as a flat or incline bench. it was cheap - i bought it from a Craigslist seller.

i'm pretty certain that mine came already assembled to the original buyer because it folds up pretty compact. it is stored in the upright position and takes up a very tiny footprint.

i'd say go to a sporting goods store and talk to a sales rep. if not, go to Walmart or Sears and study the boxes of the weight benches that they sell to get an idea of how much assembly is required.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-16, 02:25 PM  
BunnyHop

Kelly uses a weight bench in a number of her dvds, it seems to be the same style in all of them. In one of her new ones she does a move where she sorta leapfrogs side to side over the bench with her feet, while she's holding it with her hands. Couldn't possibly do that with my current step.

IIRC, I found the Body Solid bench by following links on her website to a fitness equipment retailer. Didn't want to shop online if I didn't have to, though.

I guess the trouble is that stores in my area don't seem to have weight benches. Treadmills galore, but not much else. Will have to take another look around, though, maybe at the biggest WalMart. They tend to have stuff the other stores don't.
Old 12-05-16, 09:26 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I got a flat weight bench through WalMart.com a few years ago. I don't remember the brand now but I got it for about $70. I looked online for one that was higher than average because I wanted to do bat wings (chest supported rows) on them and needed to have my arms fully extended while lying face down on the bench. In hindsight I should have purchased an adjustable bench that I could sit on with my chest supported by the bench. More versatile for other exercises as well. When I get home I will look at the brand and re-post it here.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-16, 09:34 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I found it but it is a lot more expensive now.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/13447985?...&wl13=&veh=sem
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-16, 09:53 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I found it but it is a lot more expensive now.

Wow, that's crazy! The prices on other benches being recommended on the same page are a fraction that much.

I'm glad you got a good price, though.

And hey, I hadn't thought about an adjustable bench. Hmmm ... .
Old 12-05-16, 12:22 PM  
Hazel Porter

I have an old Danskin one you'd be welcome to if you're in the Denver, Colorado area and wanted to come pick it up. It's on the small side.
Old 12-05-16, 12:26 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Porter View Post
I have an old Danskin one you'd be welcome to if you're in the Denver, Colorado area and wanted to come pick it up. It's on the small side.
Sadly, I'm not. Thanks for the offer!

(Wish I did, for many reasons, the lack humidity being one of them. )
Old 12-07-16, 07:11 PM  
Vantreesta

I love my Hoist weight bench but it cost about as much as the one in the link lreidgreen posted. It is very sturdy and adjusts to flat or incline. In hindsight I probably would have bought a less expensive one though since I don't use it as much as I had expected. I don't believe I had to assemble anything.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight bench