Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-06, 11:51 AM  
pfhanna

New Firm workouts, has anyone tried them yet??

Has anyone received their new Firm workouts? I may have already missed a thread on this and I am waiting to see what the reviews are before trying any. Thank you much, Pam.
Old 09-08-06, 12:58 PM  
Diana3271

I purchased the Firm Ultimate Fat Burning last night at Walmart and did it this morning. I liked the workout. I did not use weights because I have neck issues. I did work up a light sweat. This workout is exactly what I was expecting and hoping for. I wanted a cardio workout, without the step, and a little more intense than Leslie Sansone. This workout fit the bill. I think it was a great buy for $10, if I paid $14.95 and shipping charges from Collage I might not be very happy. Now for my observations:

If you like the original Firm and you are a hardcore Firmie this workout may not be for you.

If you like Cathe's intensity and you want that in a workout this workout may not be for you.

If you like complexity this workout may not be for you.

This workout can be used for a beginner although there are a few moves like chaise (sp) that may be confusing and take a little getting used to. I actually made myself dizzy doing pivots, LOL, so I started modifying those.

I think they took a minimalist approach when they did this workout. The set is bare/basic. Also, Alison and the participants, did not have glam makeup on. It seemed to me they tried to look like they were not made up (clean face), although we know with lighting they probably have quite a bit of make up on.

Also, something else I noticed, and this struck me as funny, Alison's clothing reminded me of an underwear commercial made by Fruit of the Loom or Hanes.

Alison worked up a sweat during the warm up and then it was gone for the rest of the workout. I don't think I have ever seen a Firm instructor sweat, LOL.

What is the deal with the butt cheeks? LOL It does not offend me, I'm just noticing it more often in the newer workouts.
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-06, 03:27 PM  
lissalaurel76

I had said I wasn't going to buy any of the new Giam-Firm workouts, but did pick this one up from Walmart out of curiosity. (remind me never to impulse buy)

This reminded me exactly of Leslie Sansone, actually. Not her easy peasy workouts, but its the intensity of her Walk Strong workout. (not the one with the stretchy band, but the Walk Strong with the pink cover - new re-release. ) That's not necessarily a bad thing, but its a sin for them to issue this with the FIRM name on the cover. This is NOT a FIRM workout. It really very much validated what I had been thinking, that the FIRM is dead. It really is dead & gone. Its sad. If they had said something like FIRM inspired, I could grant them that perhaps, but its not the FIRM.
Old 09-08-06, 04:37 PM  
Cowgirl32

wahhhh!!! I want the REAL Firm back!!!!!!!!!
Cowgirl32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-06, 05:47 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissalaurel76
This is NOT a FIRM workout. It really very much validated what I had been thinking, that the FIRM is dead. It really is dead & gone. Its sad. If they had said something like FIRM inspired, I could grant them that perhaps, but its not the FIRM.
I also bought this workout from Wal-Mart but I haven't tried it yet. However, what you said makes me sad because based on clips, Ultimate Fat Burning looked the most like a Firm workout out of all the new Firms. At least, it looked like a Firm cardio workout. The other new ones don't resemble a Firm workout to me at all.

What's sad is that GT finally got it right with BSS 4 and the Transfirmer. I want a BSS 5 that uses the Transfirmer again and I hope it's not watered down.

Helen
Old 09-09-06, 05:09 PM  
Cardiogirl

I did Ultimate Fat Burning today and it's a keeper!

It's 40 minutes long--not 45. After 32 minutes of 4-limb and a kickboxing segment you cool down and do a few minutes of standing abs, plies and push ups.

It's still better than most mass marketed workout dvd's. But it's not The FIRM I knew. I tricked myself into thinking of it as a really good Prevention workout. LOL
Cardiogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-06, 05:34 PM  
cherimac

I enjoyed the Ultimate Fat Burning Workout as well. It still has a "Firm-like" feel to me because of the 4 limb movements. And, there are different cardio moves. A lot of people said that they were tired of the same 'ole tri-star moves and then they don't like this because it's different?

No, it's not Cathe intense. I did add some impact to it and decided I can use my weighted gloves for the kickboxing segment. If you like to string together different types of cardio workouts, like I do, because of exercise ADD( ) then you will get use out of this one.
Old 09-09-06, 07:13 PM  
lissalaurel76

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac
I enjoyed the Ultimate Fat Burning Workout as well. It still has a "Firm-like" feel to me because of the 4 limb movements. And, there are different cardio moves. A lot of people said that they were tired of the same 'ole tri-star moves and then they don't like this because it's different?

No, it's not Cathe intense. I did add some impact to it and decided I can use my weighted gloves for the kickboxing segment. If you like to string together different types of cardio workouts, like I do, because of exercise ADD( ) then you will get use out of this one.

I like the tri-stars. LOL I just miss the intensity, the style, the feel of the FIRM. This wasn't challenging at all. Its nice for a break from intense workouts, but its not the FIRM. I agree with what a poster above said. Its easier to think of it as a Prevention workout or something.
Old 09-09-06, 07:20 PM  
hypnomoon

I got the one at Walmart last night and then previewed it.

I felt the set was very sterile in comparison to the Firm Classics...i.e. the Greek room and the Library room. I was saddened by that.

They didn't have Libby or anyone for that manner doing modifications. There were some 'new' classic Firm lines in there; i.e., 'you're burning some calories now!' And then there was Allie who looks totally awesome.

The moves seemed very similar to the BSS series stuff but there was some new stuff too. Nevertheless, I see 'The Firm' totally evolving (again) and leaving the old behind. The end of 'The Firm?'...probably not, it will continue in some manner. There's still some appeal to it and most likely will still be marketable.

Kimberly
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 08:26 AM  
pfhanna

Thank you for all your imputs on this. I think I may (?) try it if it is available at our closest Walmart. I really wish there was someone I could contact, and maybe - just maybe, if enough of us did ask for a BSS5 series using the Transfirmer they may listen?? I use my Transfirmer for other workouts, like Cathe's, when she does lunges since it is a lot less stress on my knees. I also use transfirmer for Firms BSS2. Complete Aerobics and Weight Trainings workout. Who to contact for further Firm dvd's is the key question??? If anyone has an idea let me know and thanks, Pam.