Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-03-20, 06:55 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on working at the WRC taking care of bats and turtles this morning. Rest of the day, planning on walking Gus, then likely to sit inside in the AC. Another very hot and humid day. Gus's visit at the vet office went fine .

Laura, I'm glad I got my taxes done early this year, before we got the extension of the deadline. It was weird that Social Security did a guess at my income rather than looking at my taxes for last year in the annual review.

Paula, I miss our former Cronies also . I still haven't heard a surgical date from my doctor's office - don't know if my insurance will allow their clinic/surgical center or the big hospital (I used the hospital for my knee a few years ago) - a date in that might take months though... With the secondary peak in Covid, not sure if hospitals are postponing elective surgeries...

Hi Dede!

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart)!

Anita
sciencelady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-20, 06:38 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It was a pleasant day. We went over to Mom and Dad's for lunch. They grilled Polish sausages and pineapple and corn and onion and fixed Carrot Potato Whip (potatoes, carrots, and onion all mashed together). It was a super summery meal and fantastic. We came home, and I fixed dinner for a friend's family because she was in the hospital recently and just got home two days ago. Different people signed up to bring them meals on different days. Her husband is gluten free and apparently the meal they got last night was not and he reacted. I told him that he could trust our food. He figured that out since I labeled everything. (I fixed shrimp scampi and included both GF and "regular" pasta.)

Anita - Yeah, DH is responsible for the taxes and he was so relieved when they put off the deadline.

Paula - It sounds like you will be going to some medical appointments. I hang out in the parking lot while DH goes in and take stuff to work on or books to read.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-20, 07:56 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout today was a neighborhood walk with DH then the matt section of Leslie Sansone's Pilates You Can Do.

Anita, glad Gus survived his visit to the vet with little damage. I'm sure the bats and turtles appreciate your attention even if they don't have a way to say so, other than to survive. We're not sure on the hospital situation either. DH may need surgery and no one seems to be able to tell us what to expect. He has another CT scan coming up, hopefully we'll know more after that.

Laura, what a nice day with your folks. I don't usually wait in the car, I usually take my Kindle with me and wait in the waiting room in case the doctor wants to talk with me (which has happened more than once).
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-20, 07:56 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning! Happy 4th of July!

I'm not planning anything too celebratory, but am expecting a bunch of fireworks going off all day and night around here - city isn't doing a show . I'm planning on giving Gus a walk and doing some yard work - mowing is on my list...

I talked to some friends last night and two (married couple) may be staying with me in August, living in my basement apartment. This is the couple that moved to Chile to semiretire about two years ago, came back up here this summer to help her mom with some health conditions, can't travel back to Chile because of Covid-19 restrictions, sold their house in Milwaukee which is closing in August, and now will be living with me for a few weeks to months. I know these people from friends from grade school and we do all the trips to watch plays under the stars in Spring Green. I don't know when my surgery will be going down, but they can help me in the house if needed. Gus won't mind .

Laura, sounds like a delicious lunch! My friend moving in is also gluten free, so will have to recheck packages of food we'll be sharing. Yeah, I think being an extra during medical appointments during Covid-19 is good for staying in the car.

Paula, I'll call my clinic next week to see if they've set a date for my surgery - I searched my insurance and don't see any of their facilities that do surgery covered. I'll likely be back at the city hospital... It's been a bit weird to have Gus drop off for vet appointments in the parking lot these days - not much interaction with the vet any more.

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart)!

Anita
sciencelady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-20, 07:33 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

We had a quiet 4th of July. We hung out, DH played his favorite game on his phone and I did some crafting. We did go for a stroll this evening down the street to see the water lilies that are in bloom. It was supposed to hit 95 today and feel like 98 with the humidity, so we hunkered down inside. I did short cardio boxing workout I found on YouTube and then the walk this evening. We also "went to church" via YouTube this evening.

There is a nursing home in this area that posted pictures of a lot of the residents. Someone behind them held a sign that read, "Will you be my pen pal?" and each resident held a sign asking for a certain type of person to write them - someone from a specific place or fans of a specific team or someone who likes to do certain activities. I wrote one man who wanted to hear from Scrabble players. I may look up 1-2 more and write them notes.

Paula - None of DH's doctors want to talk to me. If they did, I'd certainly go in. I did go in with him to PT one day for his PT to show me a move to do on his neck.

Anita - Aren't you glad you fixed up the basement? It sounds like an ideal situation for these friends to stay with you, a win/win. I hope you get sleep tonight. I told DH that I hope that if anyone has fireworks that they start as soon as it's dark and shoot them all off quickly.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 07-04-20, 08:00 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was a neighborhood walk with DH then some Yin Yoga with Travis Eliot.

It hardly seemed like 4th of July today - all the usual events my city hosts were cancelled. No fireworks tonight either. Sigh...

Anita, it seems like such a good fit that your friends need a place to stay right when youo need some post surgery home support. I hope this will work for you (and them) and give you some peace of mind to go forward with the surgery. DH has to have a couple procedures and one may necessitate an overnight stay in the hospital. He has me, of course, to assist at home but it's hard for people don't have family members to help.

Laura, how sweet of you to become a pen pal, nothing like that going on here that I am aware of. When DH has had procedures for cancer they sometime give him a pain killer or a sedative, so the doctor wants to talk with me solely because DH isn't in a state to remember much of what is said. On those occassions I think they would keep him overnight if he didn't have a family member to take care of him and things for the next 24 hours or so. I think video church is a good idea, we keep hearing horror stories of virus cases surging after large gatherings.
Old 07-04-20, 08:50 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I don't know if you ladies are dealing with fireworks, but I'm surrounded. I usually like to go outside and watch them. I have to walk down to the road because we're surrounded by trees and I can't see them otherwise. But tonight, they're scaring me. There are far more than usual, and they're close. I can't see them, but I can hear them and I can smell them. So I'm inside. I'm just praying none of them stray onto our property.

My dryer quit yesterday. I called the appliance store today and got an answering machine. I can't remember when we got it, but I'm sure it was over five years ago because it had a five-year warranty, and appliances always stop working the day after the warranty expires. I just hope I don't end up having to use the laundromat. I always do when these stupid Speed Queen machines quit. Even if the service worker gets here quickly, it always takes Speed Queen forever to send parts. I hate the laundromat during good seasons but in the middle of a heatwave and a global pandemic?

Laura, I also think it's wonderful that you are a pen pal. I'm too antisocial for it, but I'm sure those people could use a friend to brighten their day.

Anita, how nice that you can host friends. I'm glad Gus won't mind.

Paula, I laughed out loud at your choreography comment. I enjoy Leslie too, but sometimes I want something a bit more complex.

Everyone stay safe.
Old 07-05-20, 07:55 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was just a neighborhood walk with DH. I hope to get in some yoga before bed.

Deedee, we live close enough to where the city does it's fireworks show that I can usually just walk outside and watch it. Fireworks were cancelled this year - so nothing. I could hear them going off in surrounding cities but couldn't see them due to trees and buildings. Bummer on the drying quiting. I have a Whirlpool dryer that I've had for well over a decade with no problems whatsoever. When I want something a little more interesting than Leslie, I usually go to Jessica Smith.

Where is everyone tonight?
Old 07-05-20, 08:15 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Hi Paula - Happy Sunday evening. The new thread is here.

Laura's Workout Mantras: