Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-01-20, 01:50 PM  
YogaGal

Kundalini Yoga for February 2020!

From Ravi and Ana’s January newsletter:

“The year 2020 is numerologically profound. 2 is the number of receptivity and harmony in relationship. It's the mediator. May we help to heal the great divide(s) in our families, community, country and world. Zero is a magnifier and denotes pure potential. Overall this is a 4 year. 4 represents the Heart chakra and miracles of healing and grace. The archetype for 4 is Guru Ram Das, the patron Saint of Kundalini Yoga, who exemplified non-judgement and compassion.”

The quote seems significant now as February is often a heart-centered month. February can be a time for opening our hearts on our mats and later extending compassion to ourselves and others.

This is a check-in thread for anyone who is trying to add regular Kundalini yoga to their lives (either as a sole form of exercise or along with other types of exercise). It doesn't matter if you're doing it with dvds, on your own, in live classes, etc. Anyone that wants to try adding regular kundalini to help achieve their goals of fitness, health and well-being is welcome (as well as those who are just interested in the possibility).

Sat Nam!
Old 02-01-20, 02:09 PM  
YogaGal

Welcome to our newest member, daisymae! We’re so happy to have you here at our check-in. I’m bringing your message over here since we just started a new month.

Thanks for sharing your history with KY; I started with Raviana in 2007 also. That is so nice that you were invited to be Ana’s FB friend and asked to review their dvds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymae View Post
Hi everyone! I decided to pop in and introduce myself since I came back to Ky after a long hiatus.

A little bit about me and some fun facts:

I started doing Ky back in 2007, I think. I had been having a lot of problems with my thyroid - hair falling out and I had gained 60 pounds in a little over a year. The doctors were no help, said my numbers were considered to be in the normal range and there was nothing they could do. I was told I had chronic thyroiditis. I began to search for answers and I came across Ravi and Ana's Fat Free Yoga Lose Weight Feel Great. I ordered it and that was the beginning of a new chapter for me. I was addicted and over a couple of years I acquired every dvd they put out. Over time, I lost nearly 40 pounds with Ky being my main focus. I did go walking sometimes because we lived just blocks from the great Lake Superior and I did do some intervals on my treadmill in the winter but Ky was my main workout. It was not easy though. I had a lot of health problems including chronic insomnia and sinus issues and at times, I nearly quit but I pushed through! Fast forward to 2011 and we moved, after which I became pregnant with my first and only child at the age of 34. I was tired all the time and had no energy so I gave myself permission to rest and take it easy because after all, I was growing a tiny baby girl. After I had her I fell into post partum depression. I had no help as I was new to the area and didn't know anyone and she had really bad reflux which caused her to cry all. the. time. My husband was gone a lot as he worked long hours and sometimes up to 60 hours a week so I was consumed by stay at home motherhood. I was also having a lot of health problems after the pregnancy. After awhile I began to think about Ky and how much I missed it. Soon it became my regular "escape". An hour+ of uninterrupted "me" time in which I did not have to be responsible for a tiny human being and hear the constant crying and meet all the demands. It was the only break from motherhood that I ever got so even if I didn't feel like doing it, I did it anyway and I always felt better afterwards. After awhile though I began to have many disturbing things happen and I was afraid I was having a kundalini awakening, and not a gentle one. On top of chronic insomnia and sinus issues/headaches, I began to have body tremors. I felt like I was shaking on the inside. It started out as intermittent but soon I began to feel it all the time. I wasn't sleeping because I was constantly vibrating and that was adding to the problem. In short, I felt like I was having a nervous breakdown! It all started one night after doing Total Tune Up. I worried that all the Ky was causing it and I stopped. Eventually, after around 3 weeks, the vibrations faded and I actually started feeling better - less sinus issues and headaches. I turned to other exercise, mainly Ellen Barrett and my body responded really well. I gradually lost around another 20 pounds. I stayed away from Ky for years as I was actually a little terrified of it TBH. I missed it sometimes but knew that it wasn't the time for it. Lately though I have been feeling the urge in a strong way and I decided to go with it. I did Navel Power on Wed (talk about jumping back into it! lol), Fat Free LWFG yesterday and Ultimate Stretch this morning. We'll see what happens...I'm a bit nervous but trying not to put too much thought into it. I don't know how long this will last but I decided to try anyway!

Now that I'm done with that novel, lol, a few fun facts:
I was one of Ana's first 100 friends on facebook and SHE asked ME! Little ol'me! I felt so honored!! Also they asked me to do review copies for their three new dvds at the time: Energy and Super Radiance, Cardio, Stretch and Strengthen and the newer Beginner's and Beyond and sent them to me for free! They really are the NICEST couple!!

So anyway, if you made it this far, thanks for reading and if I keep up with my Ky, I will be sure to check in!
Old 02-03-20, 07:09 PM  
YogaGal

I listened to some Kundalini mantras for my meditation on Saturday.
This morning I did the short Immune Invigorator on RaviAna's House Call.

Hoping to fit in a longer set a couple of days this week. I'm thinking RaviAna's Boot Camp would be a good one since the flowing movement always warms me up and we are getting some cold weather here in Arizona.
Old 02-04-20, 09:20 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning! I actually got on my mat last night and enjoyed a PM matrix from Ravi and Ana's AM/PM. It felt very "right" - maybe I just needed a bit of a break to stick with hatha and restorative for a month. So much yoga, so little time!

Carolyn, thank for for starting our February check-in and for the reference to the January email. Maybe this is a good month for Green Energy of the Heart, no?

Welcome Daisymae! So happy to have you checking in with us. Thank you for sharing your story - I hear so often that KY is great for the thyroid. I have taken a couple of workshops with Ravi and Ana, and they truly are the best - especially Ana.

Good morning to all who follow!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 10:17 AM  
daisymae

Thank you for the warm welcome!

My daughter has been sick for the past few days and I am so hoping that she doesn't have the flu. We were lucky up until now and we are supposed to be leaving for our first family vacation on February 27th. YogaGal, please don't say AZ is cold because we are coming there to get OUT of the cold!

Ultimate Stretch makes my hamstrings sore for days! They are finally feeling better. Not sure if I will get to any exercise today because I have been feeling under the weather myself. Bootcamp sounds great though! I love that flow. It's so great for getting loosened up and stretched out.

Pat, Ravi and Ana were about 4 hours away from me once and I so wanted to meet them but I was very, very, pregnant at the time.
daisymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-20, 11:59 AM  
daisymae

Beautiful Breakthroughs

Also wanted to ask you all what you think of this one. So far, it has gotten good reviews. Many are comparing it to Yoga Beauty Body. YBB is one of my faves. I know they are similar in length but what else makes them similar? What types of poses are in this one? I'm thinking about ordering it, especially if it's similar to YBB in terms of music, poses etc.
daisymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-20, 08:50 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning and TGIF! Happy Valentine's Day!

I forgot to check in that I began working on Green Energy of the Heart earlier in the week - both warmups and relaxation.

Daisymae, I've only done Beautiful Breakthroughs once. The main thing that stood out for me was that it's a routine that is best performed in its entirety, it doesn't seem like a good one to break up into pieces. I don't think it has a matrix function but will have to check. Not sure about the Beauty Body correlation - I'll have to try soon. My main memory was that it worked through the chakras beautifully for a total tuneup. The music is also wonderful.

I'll try to do it this weekend and give a better review. I hope your daughter is feeling better and that none of you were stricken with the flu.

Good morning to Carolyn and anyone who checks in!
Old 02-14-20, 11:34 AM  
aliskina

Welcome daisymae, here is the discussion about it from last year. I've done it several times and like it a lot : http://www.videofitness.com/~vfwnk/f...d.php?t=226343

Ana is performing, while Ravi is narrating as usual. Ana looks a bit different, probably done something to her face, wearing pink on the white background, music is beautiful, 50 min, follows standard Raviana template. Starts with tune-in, spinal grinds, washing machine, rowboat, downward dog (the only standing pose), breath of fire in different poses like crow, deep runner lunge, butterfly, bridge, plow pose, bow pose, seated wood chops, pranayama based arm circles, guided meditation in shavasana, seated Sa-Ta-Na-Ma mantra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymae View Post
Also wanted to ask you all what you think of this one. So far, it has gotten good reviews. Many are comparing it to Yoga Beauty Body. YBB is one of my faves. I know they are similar in length but what else makes them similar? What types of poses are in this one? I'm thinking about ordering it, especially if it's similar to YBB in terms of music, poses etc.
aliskina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-20, 11:50 AM  
aliskina

This is what I've done this month so far:
Live Hot Yoga - twice
Fat Free 1 (No impact aero/fight fire w/fire)
Fat Free 2 (start your engine/your life in your glands)
Beauty Body - twice
Ultimate Stretch
Navel Power
Hip Bliss
Beautiful Breakthrough

Pat, you inspired me to do Green Energy today!
aliskina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-20, 11:27 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning everyone! I did some more from Green Energy last night - Green Energy 1 and relaxation. Also a yoga nidra by Tias Little on Glo.

Aliskina, thanks for the thread on Beautiful Breakthroughs. I almost did that one last night.