Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-14, 01:45 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula N View Post
Price was one dollar each, helpfully marked in black marker across the front of each (I'm usually not overly picky about the condition of used videos, but wouldn't a removable sticker have worked just as well?)
at one of the GW's here, they started doing that with the DVDs (permanent marker). they write a code on it, with a matching code on the disc - they started keeping the discs behind the counter, but left the cases on the shelf. they said people were taking the discs out and either stealing them or accidentally damaging them.

they're the only GW that does this. if you put permanent ink on a plastic case, it's not a biggie. but if you do it on a cardboard case, it's on there forever.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-14, 09:34 PM  
Psyche
VF Supporter

Today at GW I got a very nice pair of 1# Zumba weights for 2.99. Wouldn't have bought them new, but this price was right!
Psyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 07:42 PM  
Pam

A good thrift store finds today:

A pair of 3-Minute Egg Yoga Blocks $2.75

The Body Bar: Deep Definition & Sport Zone DVD $3.00

Jeff Primack, QiGon Healing Energy Practice, Level 1
and his Level 2 (2 DVDs) Each were $2. Never have heard of him, but the writeup on the covers made me take the chance on the DVDs for $4. Reading reviews now, they sound very promising.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 09:13 PM  
gilberteswann

not a DVD but I can't resist talking about my thrift store find Saturday: 2 pairs of BRAND NEW DANSKOs (scandinavian-type clog shoes) in my size for $3 each!! New this would have been $225 so I am just amazed.

I saw they had a copy of Raquel Welch's yoga tape from the 80s -- it's the same basic program as Bikram but without the excessive heat -- but as I don't have a VHS I skipped it.

Thanks for letting me share here!
gilberteswann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-14, 09:35 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

recently picked up 2 cathe DVDs and an advanced ropesport DVD = all $5 apiece, from a used bookstore last week. the cathe's were KPC/L&G (something i've always wanted) and HST.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 02-12-14, 07:18 AM  
PhyllisG

I saw they had a copy of Raquel Welch's yoga tape from the 80s -- it's the same basic program as Bikram but without the excessive heat -- but as I don't have a VHS I skipped

Should have picked it up--maybe. I sold mine on amazon for about $50 2 years ago. Don't know what it is going for now.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-14, 02:49 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post

I saw they had a copy of Raquel Welch's yoga tape from the 80s -- it's the same basic program as Bikram but without the excessive heat -- but as I don't have a VHS I skipped

Should have picked it up--maybe. I sold mine on amazon for about $50 2 years ago. Don't know what it is going for now.
amazon has one for $68 and $17.

is it that great? i tend to like celebrity videos of yore. they tended to be better than the celebrity videos of late. if so, i'll be on the look out for it at our GW's.

btw, that GW i mentioned earlier about how they mark DVD covers w/a sharpee - they stopped doing it. thank goodness.

Old 04-05-14, 06:10 PM  
Psyche
VF Supporter

My thrift store purchase of the day (at the SPCA) was three dvds, each $2.50, and in very good condition.

They are:

FIRM Tortoise
FIRM Hare
Step Up Revolution Dance Workout (never heard of it before, but decent reviews on Amazon.)

I had Tortoise and Hare back in the VHS days and haven't done these in ages. These dvds are Gaiam, so I assumed there would be no chaptering. When I put in Tortoise, I was happy to see that the workout appeared to be broken into four sections/chapters. However, when I played it, there was a chapter after every little exercise! Nice surprise Gaiam! Looking forward to returning to the FIRM ballroom.

I did not purchase the 1# Zumba weights (also for @2.50) as I got a pair at the GW a couple of months ago.

Sheri
Psyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-14, 06:20 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
My thrift store purchase of the day (at the SPCA) was three dvds, each $2.50, and in very good condition.

They are:

FIRM Tortoise
FIRM Hare
Step Up Revolution Dance Workout (never heard of it before, but decent reviews on Amazon.)

I had Tortoise and Hare back in the VHS days and haven't done these in ages. These dvds are Gaiam, so I assumed there would be no chaptering. When I put in Tortoise, I was happy to see that the workout appeared to be broken into four sections/chapters. However, when I played it, there was a chapter after every little exercise! Nice surprise Gaiam! Looking forward to returning to the FIRM ballroom.

I did not purchase the 1# Zumba weights (also for @2.50) as I got a pair at the GW a couple of months ago.

Sheri
Nice find! Many (almost all) of the older Firms have been remastered by Fitness Favorites, it's great!

I just bought Tortoise and Hare this week, in all the years I have been doing the Firm I dismissed the Tortoise, because I figured it was the same as Tough Tape which I am not a fan of. I tried Tortoise yesterday and I really enjoyed it! I had Hare years ago on VHS but didn't keep it, but since I have it's mate I decided to pick up again. I may try that one tomorrow if I have time.

Also to the person upthread that found 2 new pairs of Danskos for cheap, that is a major bargain! Jealous over here, I discovered Dansko last year and I am a huge fan of their shoes.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-14, 08:42 AM  
froggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
amazon has one for $68 and $17.

is it that great? i tend to like celebrity videos of yore. they tended to be better than the celebrity videos of late. if so, i'll be on the look out for it at our GW's.

btw, that GW i mentioned earlier about how they mark DVD covers w/a sharpee - they stopped doing it. thank goodness.
Are you talking about Total Beauty and Fitness? If so, it is on yt.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dVEbOQFW-AM
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, thrift store finds, thrift stores, thrift stores finds, thrift stores.