Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-08, 10:58 AM  
spotted zebra

Thrift Store Finds

I dropped some stuff off at a nearby thrift store yesterday and saw they had these videos. I didn't buy them, but are any worth going back for?

Bun Busters Great Legs
Bun Busters Step Workout
Cindy Crawford's Shape Your Body
Pompilates (which is in Spanish, "pompi" being Spanish for butt, I think.)
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 11:09 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I'm only familiar with Cindy's Shape Your Body, which I do recommend. It consists of 3 workouts: 45mins, 40mins and a 10min quickie. They are athletic-based rather than dancy - more calisthenic, actually - but very effective. High reps, low weights and a great 90s soundtrack of real music (I know that's important to you ). This was her first workout and she moved a bit too fast and her form wasn't perfect so you have to modify your own moves a bit but they're really fun, refreshing workouts with an MTV-feel which moves from set to set. FYI, there are a lot of lengthy clips of these on YouTube with some Russian (?) guy's voiceover, but they'd give you a feel for them:
http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=matyanya
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 01:17 PM  
spotted zebra

I heard people were getting injured doing Cindy's workout and seeing the clips I can see why. But it looks like it would be pretty easy to modify. Thanks for the link. Do you know how Shape Your Body compares to Claudia Schiffer's workouts? I've got her Perfectly Fit DVDs coming in the mail and if they're similar I'll skip Cindy's workout. If they're not too similar I'll give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
I'm only familiar with Cindy's Shape Your Body, which I do recommend. It consists of 3 workouts: 45mins, 40mins and a 10min quickie. They are athletic-based rather than dancy - more calisthenic, actually - but very effective. High reps, low weights and a great 90s soundtrack of real music (I know that's important to you ). This was her first workout and she moved a bit too fast and her form wasn't perfect so you have to modify your own moves a bit but they're really fun, refreshing workouts with an MTV-feel which moves from set to set. FYI, there are a lot of lengthy clips of these on YouTube with some Russian (?) guy's voiceover, but they'd give you a feel for them:
http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=matyanya
Old 04-20-08, 05:31 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotted_zebra
I dropped some stuff off at a nearby thrift store yesterday and saw they had these videos. I didn't buy them, but are any worth going back for?

Bun Busters Great Legs
Bun Busters Step Workout
Cindy Crawford's Shape Your Body
Pompilates (which is in Spanish, "pompi" being Spanish for butt, I think.)

I believe the Bun Busters are the same as the *29 minute workouts* so the step workout may be the one with Gin Miller.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 06:13 PM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2
I believe the Bun Busters are the same as the *29 minute workouts* so the step workout may be the one with Gin Miller.
Barb S
In that case I'm scooping this one up for sure. Tomorrow's my day off so I'll go there in the morning before anyone else beats me to it. Thanks! I had no idea Gin Miller led this one.

I think the two series are the same too. I read descriptions of both "Great Legs" workouts and they sound identical.
Old 09-11-08, 03:58 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Reviving this to tell about my thrift store finds because honestly nobody I know in my "real" life gives a flip.

Found an Original Step, new, four risers total for $5.05. (My first step was purchased for $10 at a school garage sale, but you could tell it had been sitting in someone's barn/garage for a while. This one is pristine.)

Picked up an 80 cent VHS with the cover saying For You From LA Gear, and it is an OLD Gilad Bodies in Motion. Gilad looks like he is about 12 on it, a buff 12, but 12. Got an 80 cent VHS of Richard Simmons doing a 40-minute toning workout with bands.
A Gin Miller Best of Step Reebok, looks like an old TV show with various shows compiled. Found two (both?) Cindy Crawfords, Elle McPherson's Personal Best, the original Buns of Steel with Greg Smithy and Slim in 6.
Slim in 6 is DVD and cost me a full $2.02. I already have a Slim in 6 that I got at a different thrift store for a dollar (it was cheaper than the other DVDs because the clerk said it wasn't a "real" DVD).
Also got a number of the Firm Parts,Tough Tape 2, and one of those compilation DVD sets with a jillion workouts on them. Quite frankly the only reason I got the compilation was because I was out of control at that point.

Okay, now I just have to find time/energy/desire to do even half of these and I will be jiggle free in no time. That part where you have to actually do the workouts throws me every time .

Thanks for "listening."

Renda
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-08, 04:28 PM  
laurajhawk

Awesome finds, Renda!
I forgot to share mine a couple weeks ago. My church rummage sale is always REALLY lame except for the books, but this time I found a foam roller (wanted one! it's only 12 in. long but full-round) and two 2# dumbbells (I have lots of heavier dumbbells but thought these might be good with Squeeze). There were no prices on any of these but the volunteer at check-out decided on $1 per item.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-08, 04:31 PM  
annetteb

Last week I found a Cathe, Legs and Glutes and BodyStep Challenge both on vhs.
Old 09-11-08, 04:51 PM  
shirleyj62

I **love** thrift store shopping for fitness tapes/dvd's.

Three weeks ago I found Vol 2-Vol 6 of the FIRMS Classics (VHS) unopened. I paid under $1.00 for each one. Now I just have to find Vol 1.

I feel that I should be losing tons of weight and getting fit just from buying this stuff. I keep forgetting that you have to use them to get any benefit.

shirley
shirleyj62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-08, 06:43 PM  
acey

Renda et al,
How awesome! I keep meaning to stop by the Salvation Army outlets in Manhattan but somehow never do. There are a couple of thrift shops near me but they don't have a whole lot. I did see one obscure kickboxing tape by some dude I never heard of, but it was cracked.

Wow, that's great about the old (young) Gilad. I have been doing his FitTV tapes and the really old ones from the 80s (Bodies in Motion) are a hoot.

Tags
29 minute workout, calisthenics, jeans, thrift store finds