Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-29-20, 09:06 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
I had been regularly walking outside during the spring months, but now that summer is here, I can't rely on that form of exercise (the heat and humidity are just not my thing!)
Donna
I'm so with you on this! I do walk outside because of my dogs, but by the time I'm finished I'm wiped out because of the heat and humidity. I try to go early in the a.m., but it's still too humid for me.
Old 06-29-20, 09:07 AM  
Vantreesta

I have been meditating and doing Bible devotions pretty much daily, starting my weekdays with yoga, working out more regularly and hugging my dog as much as he will let me! He and I walk every day, usually a little longer in the morning and then shorter ones before supper and in the evening, but I've done walked my dogs 3x a day since 2006 so that's not new. But on our morning walks I listen to fitness podcasts, which I find motivating. I also crochet and have begun trying new patterns and expanding my project repertoire.

I have developed a nice morning routine that I enjoy and starts the day off right. I have been reading and thinking about coming up with a better bedtime routine bc my sleep quality the past 18 or so months has been lousy and frankly I haven't had good sleep hygiene since about 2012. I stay up much later than I should nearly every night.

So biggest areas of improvement for me are sleep and eating.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-20, 10:02 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
hugging my dog as much as he will let me!
Thank God for dogs! One of my dogs is a super snuggler which I so enjoy! She just wants snuggles and pets all the time!
Old 06-29-20, 11:12 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Oooh, thank you for starting this challenge!

I need something like this. Maybe it wasn't a great, killer workout day, but I can still practice some self care.

Thank you VV. And thank you for motivating me to dust off my Lee Holden collection.

My self care has mostly been getting away to the beach for a walk, or a walk around the neighborhood. Also meditating every day. I've also begun teaching myself to read tarot cards.
(((Pat)))!

Oddly enough, I have been studying tarot, too. The cards can be a great meditation tool and are good for introspection. I love the artwork on some of the decks.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-20, 03:45 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Thank God for dogs! One of my dogs is a super snuggler which I so enjoy! She just wants snuggles and pets all the time!
Amen, Wendy! It's interesting how God works things. All the dogs I had before Cyric were not big on cuddling. They would tolerate me smothering them for a short while while then get up and move away. Cyric wants all the attention he can get and lets me snuggle him a lot. After losing my mom and my mother-in-law a month apart during the pandemic and then all the other stressful world events, God knew I needed a cuddle dog and brought me Cyric a couple years ago.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-20, 04:08 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Gentler yoga practices. No power yoga or any kind of striving to attain 'advanced' postures, because I find that often comes from ego, speaking for myself. I like practices from the Sivananda school of hatha yoga. There is an Integral Yoga video taught by Swami Satchidananda that I like; also Sampoorna Hatha Yoga: At Home with Yogi Hari. Both of these are based on the Sivananda sequence. I also really like the 'Earth' DVD in Tracey Rich and Ganga White's Total Yoga series, and J. Brown's Yoga DVD.

Eating really nutritiously. I've been doing this for months now and I feel great.

Spiritual reading/prayer/meditation.

Listening to gentle music.

Listening to "sleep meditation" YouTube videos before I go to sleep. This one by Bodhipaksa (Scottish meditation instructor) is wonderful IMO. Rod Stryker's Relax into Greatness yoga nidra CD is wonderful, too; I've had it and used it for years.

Sleep.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-20, 11:24 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

The FaceBook Diet

That's it! I have to stop going on FaceBook for a while. I've never liked it except for sharing pet, project or trip photos. I only joined because that's the only way to find out how folks are doing. (Well, the oldsters that still use FaceBook, LOL!)

I am really stunned at some of the asinine things folks I know are posting. They link to anything without checking veracity. I worry that some of the things they post will come back to bite them in the butt.

It is only going to get worse with this being an election year.

I'm going on a FaceBook Diet!

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 06-30-20, 11:26 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Betsy, I love Bodhipaksa's voice. Very relaxing.

(I'll admit that sometimes I pretend he's Gerard Butler.)

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 06-30-20, 12:14 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I treated myself to a sampler of oolong teas from Adagio.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-20, 12:23 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
That's it! I have to stop going on FaceBook for a while. I've never liked it except for sharing pet, project or trip photos. I only joined because that's the only way to find out how folks are doing. (Well, the oldsters that still use FaceBook, LOL!)

I am really stunned at some of the asinine things folks I know are posting. They link to anything without checking veracity. I worry that some of the things they post will come back to bite them in the butt.

It is only going to get worse with this being an election year.

I'm going on a FaceBook Diet!
I have stopped following so many "friends" (mostly my relatives! haha) because I find their postings toxic to my mental health. I still enjoy the groups I've joined that follow fitness, crochet, pet lost/found sites and some bands that I like.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
self care, self-care, standing yoga