Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-20, 10:10 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I once went to a weekend yoga retreat. We were supposed to be outside, but it rained the whole time. It was in an old mansion that had been restored, so we had a lot of fun exploring the rooms. I was reminded of this because it's raining this morning.
Old 06-06-20, 11:11 AM  
Vantreesta

Difit, I had wondered about plywood, but like you said, not super portable.

Jane, that sounds like a fun retreat even if it did have to be moved inside! Of course, when I hear the words old mansion I don't picture restored, I picture more like haunted house, which for me would be kinda cool given my Halloween obsession!

So I just finished my first post-run outdoor yoga practice and overall I enjoyed it. And keeping with my Halloween love, I listened to thene songs from horror movies, which I find oddly relaxing. As others have mentioned, until the sweat from my run dried I did have a few mosquitoes biting at me and I chased off a couple big ants and a tiny spider but that was okay. I told hubby what I wanted and he doesn't think I'll do it and stick with it. After 21 years of marriage I can't argue he might be right. So for now, until I can prove to us both that I will keep doing it I'm just using a sheet instead of buying a mat or anything. The Lifeboard would be ideal but not in the budget at this point.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 12:05 PM  
Vantreesta

Looking at the Lifeboard made me wonder if just puzzle mats would work.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 06-06-20, 12:36 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Oh bummer. The Home Depot one for $11 is out of stock. They show one that looks similar that's like $70!
It actually was in store but not available online. And mine had it for less than $9.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 12:54 PM  
Vantreesta

Thanks, Linda! Hubby and I agreed, I have to do it multiple days a week for at least two weeks before I buy anything. Plus that should give me a better idea of whether a mat will work or if I would rather smthg stiffer/more equalizing on the uneven ground.

Old 06-06-20, 08:04 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

Plywood should work (if thick enough) -- and the Lifeboard isn't exactly portable (it's split into two pieces but still something I wouldn't move around more than around the house, or from my garden hut and into my backyard!) The weather around our part of town is often not super balmy but mostly pleasant (and pleasant means it could be a touch cool in the shade or a bit too windy to stay on a mat outside for an hour!) so on those occasional balmy mornings, this outdoor yoga thing is a nice option
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 09:03 PM  
Vantreesta

I have to admit, as much as I love my basement gym, yoga just feels so much better when I can see nature. I would love to have a screened porch to do it in!

Old 06-06-20, 09:46 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

No basements where I live -- we're kinda close to the San Andreas fault line and we're a few miles away from marshland. It's mushy around here! Fortunately, the climate is also generally mild all year and we don't have any mosquitoes (okay, maybe a dozen a year or less). My garden hut/workout room/home office has three windows facing out into the backyard that my husband lovingly maintains and there's lots of birds singing/crowing in the morning. That was the most distracting thing during the beginning of my outdoor yoga practice the other day -- a crow was really busy making noise for about 5 mins!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-20, 09:53 PM  
Vantreesta

Sounds like a lovely space to practice in, Tiffany. I'm happy you have a little piece of heaven!

Old 06-07-20, 07:30 AM  
Karla25

They sell disinfectant wipes that you could use to wipe the matt down with after outside use. I think if it’s few feet away from the trunk of the tree, you should be safe :-)

Tags
outdoor yoga, yoga outdoors