Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-14, 07:04 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie_B View Post
Clean eating.

Results...I mean what is your goal?

DIET as if it's negative. We are all on a diet it's what you eat.
Oh yes, this one drives me INSANE! Is there a more vague word out there in the fitness world??? It makes me feel all stabby ("stabby" being a word I love actually LOL)

Like Kiwi Katie, I also hate the word "skinny" when it's used in a positive light in fitness circles. The whole Ellen debacle really got under my skin on that one.

I also hate infantile language like tummy. Another one that bugs me, that isn't actually used in fitness circles but I see it all the time in women's magazine's is "peepers" when they are talking about eyes. UGH. Can society just STOP with the infantilization of women already?

Hmm, I seem to be feeling pretty feisty today...LOL
Old 07-29-14, 07:39 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

I've used a lot of words mentioned here in my posts .
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 08:03 PM  
SurferGirl

"Look great naked"
Or anything "sexy"
HATE this.

Im trying to get healthy, not to look sexy to anyone.
Old 07-29-14, 08:03 PM  
geojill

I read some of these to my husband. We both laughed a lot! I think he got a super big kick out of it.
Old 07-29-14, 10:55 PM  
cin777

"Loosing" weight, instead of losing weight
cin777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 10:59 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitter_mom View Post
I dislike the misuse of science (organic, all natural, etc) and not using words properly, but will admit that sometimes there are conflicting opinions on this. For example, the healthy/healthful conundrum: I thought "healthy" is used to describe a human's (or animal's) general state, and "healthful" would refer to food that contributes to being healthy, i.e., food can't be "healthy" because it isn't living when you eat it (oh yes, some of the claims of the raw diet community are annoying). "Healthily" is also confusing, since it has a traditional definition of robust (eating healthily), but I don't see that used very often. Am I missing something? Kris
Kris, I learned exactly the same "healthy" and "healthful" distinction and still use those words in the way you've indicated--a healthful diet, feeling healthy. Any other usage actually grates on me.

In defense of "toning" and "sculpting"--it seems to me that they're used and meant to be understood metaphorically. Nothing wrong with metaphor per se! But like so many once fresh, vivid, and meaningful terms, they've become cliches through overuse. I suspect it's the triteness/predictability that's getting on our nerves.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-14, 05:39 AM  
horsemom2

Another vote for
*results*

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-14, 06:20 AM  
windyh
VF Supporter

Another vote for 'toning' - that word always makes me cringe. Also the term 'anorexic' used to describe people who are very fit or naturally thin. Some people have prominent shoulder blades - doesn't mean they are 'anorexic'.
windyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-14, 07:26 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by windyh View Post
Also the term 'anorexic' used to describe people who are very fit or naturally thin. Some people have prominent shoulder blades - doesn't mean they are 'anorexic'.
Ugh, yes! Anorexia is a disease, not any particular 'look'!

Basically, it just bothers me when words are not used properly. Another that bugs me (not fitness-related, obviously) is when restaurants or hotels call customers 'guests.' No, I'm not a guest. If I were, I wouldn't be expected to pay.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-14, 08:04 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Another that bugs me (not fitness-related, obviously) is when restaurants or hotels call customers 'guests.' No, I'm not a guest. If I were, I wouldn't be expected to pay.
This! I'll think next time some service establishment calls me a "guest", I'll ask if that means I'm not expected to pay? I like that!