Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-27-13, 06:29 PM  
SurferGirl

I went to Target on Christmas Eve and though it was busy, it wasnt PACKED. This store usually has huge lines first thing in the morning, and it was almost noon and I was in and out.
Old 12-27-13, 07:21 PM  
NotThatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_tori_girl View Post
USAA's been great. Almost too great, haha. I've had perfectly legit charges raise red flags for whatever reason and USAA has locked down my account and I have to get in touch with them to confirm I made the charge and all was good. I had to do this three times in the past month. Oh, holiday shopping!

I also have their Credit Check Monitoring. It's definitely been a good thing to watch.
I had normal charges raise red flags with USAA too but I think it has a lot more to do with the fact that we have had our credit card information compromised about three times in the last couple years.

It's a bit of a pain to have your info stolen but to be honest, with USAA, it doesn't really bother me. They are so good and freezing your account the second something goofy shows up. The most annoying thing is to change your auto payments and if you missed anyone and that's about it.
NotThatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-13, 07:58 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
Everyone and their uncle wants your SS number. Who else doesn't need it but asks for it? My landlord, huh, like they can be trusted to safeguard my information. Doctor's offices. I've a mind to leave it blank from now on all these applications and forms.
If you are filling out a rental application they need your SS# to do a credit check. I've gone to two new doctors in the past couple of months. I left the SS# on their form blank. No one said anything, I think some doctors just haven't updated the forms. Most use your birth date as your ID number now.
Old 12-27-13, 08:14 PM  
that_tori_girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotThatGirl View Post
I had normal charges raise red flags with USAA too but I think it has a lot more to do with the fact that we have had our credit card information compromised about three times in the last couple years.

It's a bit of a pain to have your info stolen but to be honest, with USAA, it doesn't really bother me. They are so good and freezing your account the second something goofy shows up. The most annoying thing is to change your auto payments and if you missed anyone and that's about it.
Don't get me wrong - I appreciate them being vigilant! And they're always so nice to talk to to get your account unfrozen. It was just odd that I made 3 purchases in as many weeks that got flagged by their system. I've since figured out their text alerts and anytime I make a purchase that gets flagged, I get sent a text and all I have to do is answer yes or no and my account gets unfrozen depending on the answer.

My one USAA CC# was stolen once a few years ago and they were great to deal with. Zero liability and I had my new card in 3 days.
Old 12-27-13, 08:27 PM  
Leonana

I shop at Target frequently, and during that time period. However, I haven't been contacted by Target or my bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
It's not the card use that is so scary; I've had my card used fraudulently before, but USAA refunds 100 percent of the amount back on debit or credit and closes it immediately.
I have USAA also (my dh was in the Air Force). Their website stated that there was no need to cancel my card, and that their fraud detection team is constantly monitoring account activity. I'm monitoring it pretty closely though.
Old 12-27-13, 08:40 PM  
NotThatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_tori_girl View Post
Don't get me wrong - I appreciate them being vigilant! And they're always so nice to talk to to get your account unfrozen. It was just odd that I made 3 purchases in as many weeks that got flagged by their system. I've since figured out their text alerts and anytime I make a purchase that gets flagged, I get sent a text and all I have to do is answer yes or no and my account gets unfrozen depending on the answer.

My one USAA CC# was stolen once a few years ago and they were great to deal with. Zero liability and I had my new card in 3 days.
I totally agree. Out of all the years we have had them everyone except for one person has been extra nice and helpful. I think it's odd too that they flagged you, especially around the holidays but I guess that's also a time that people would be shady I suppose. The last time one of my normal purchases got flagged it was because I bought pantyhose from a online shop called PeekBrooklyn. Haha I'm sure when that showed up on their system they thought someone was up to no good.

I had no idea they had text alerts, I have got to get that set up. Speaking of things they offer, did you know they do their own rebate thing like ebates when you make purchases through their own USAA shop or something like that? Pretty neat.

*i did not mean at all to hijack this thread in any way whilst gushing about my bank*
NotThatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-13, 08:50 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotThatGirl View Post

*i did not mean at all to hijack this thread in any way whilst gushing about my bank*
Their home insurance and auto insurance is pretty darn awesome too!
Old 12-27-13, 09:22 PM  
sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
Their home insurance and auto insurance is pretty darn awesome too!
Yep! We have absolutely everything with them! Even investments.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-13, 10:21 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Yep! We have absolutely everything with them! Even investments.
I just switched our IRA and dd's college fund - seems to be a good move so far.
Old 12-27-13, 10:45 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I agree about mail being a way that criminals steal people's information. I tear off every name and address from every piece of mail I get, and shred it. I shred everything.

I don't understand why doctors offices still ask for social security numbers; there is no reason for it anymore. I regret having given it to various doctors recently. I see who works in those places and who has access to all of our information, and it's obvious to me that these are not people with any kind of special security clearance to be able to access everyone's private information---ha! That was a joke, by the way . It's too bad that despite all the alleged privacy laws, a lot of people whom you would not want to have access to your private info, do have access.

I have resigned myself to the fact that all our information is out there for the taking. All we can do is monitor our bank and credit card accounts regularly and check our credit reports periodically.

By the way, this past week, there was a TV show all about the evolution of Target. The company has been around for many years, and it has huge revenue.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
security breach, target