Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-17, 12:51 PM  
Lannette

Gladgirl,

I don't have an 8 quart model but have cooked both small and large recipes successfully in my 6 quart. I believe that there is a small cookbook that comes with your instant pot. Maybe try one of the recipes from it.

I started out using nothing but instant pot recipes but soon got a feel for it. Now there aren't many recipes I wouldn't use it for.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-17, 03:00 PM  
gladgirl

Thank you, Pat and Lannette.
I have a pending on the FB community and I am definitely going to try a recipe or two from the included recipe booklet. I just need to plunge in and experiment.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-17, 03:10 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladgirl View Post
Thanks again for starting this thread.
Had a hectic weekend with unexpected call to work.
Have just opened the big box and pulled out the manual and recipe book.
When I looked online I read somewhere that if you are using the bigger 8qt pot then you need to add a bit more liquid. Yet, when I looked at a lot of the online recipes none say whether it is for the 6 or the 8qt pot. I have a big family and was hoping to have leftovers for work. (ha ha ha)
Does anyone use the bigger pot? What does a little more liquid actually mean?
I am excited to try the water test later and get some recipes picked out so I can shop for food.
The recipe book that came with this pot does not make a distinction about pot size for recipes. Also, would the time to cook change?
I am most likely overthinking this and that is why I appreciate coming here and asking my silly questions!
I did the water test and then did hard boiled eggs. Doing the eggs in a pan on the stove isn't difficult, but these were super easy to peel and quicker since I used hot water from the water test.

As for the time between the two pots, I think most of that will be the amount of time it takes to get up to pressure, but once you are at the higher pressure, the time should be similar for a similar amount of ingredients. You can always cook things more if they aren't done to your liking or stick them in the blender if they are mushier than you like. Things don't really burn as long as you have some liquid in there, so.... If you watch some youtube videos, you can see people experimenting - including putting the ingredients back and cooking them longer.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-17, 09:48 AM  
gladgirl

So, I unpacked the box and was excited to start...found that the anti block shield in the manual was missing from the box and started to deflate...

Thank you, Pat, for the FB community recommendation. I asked them about it and within seconds I got responses with pictures! Wow! ...turns out the newer models have round shields already attached to the lid.
At this point, I only had enough time for eggs, so I made some hard-boiled eggs. Husband peeled almost one-handed and was quite taken. He said they were the "best damn" hb eggs he has had! Of course then he looked at the pot and gave me the look..."you need this biq pot to steam some eggs"...wait till he tastes the Chicken Tikka recipe I have planned for tonight!
Old 02-03-17, 12:35 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I'm glad you got such rapid and helpful support! It is a great community.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-17, 06:07 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

I browned a small frozen steak, took it out, added about 1/4 pot worth of potatoes and set it to stew, added a couple cups of water backed the time off (maybe to 15 or 20 minutes) put the steak up out of the water. Any which way, I cooked it too long and the potatoes were ready for mashing. I also used too much water.

Good thing I'm only cooking for myself, but I see one cup of water is plenty and the potatoes probably only need 10 minutes. They were medium red ones, cut in at least half. The steak went in solidly frozen but browned and came out tasty.

Why are people worried about taking out the ring? The ring is big and thick and if the pot pressures up, it is unlikely that you are going to easily break that seal. I had a stovetop unit and took that gasket on and off for a couple years with no problem. I think with the way the lid on this unit goes on, it is even less likely to open. So...
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-17, 07:43 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Changing the ring

I found that interesting! I take the ring off every time I use the pot to wash it and clean it. (along with the lid.) I've never had any problem getting it on or off!

I do have two rings. They can/do get very stinky. (I put mine in a ziplock bag with baking soda ... but it still stinks). . . .

I have found that not everything (for me) can be cooked in the instant pot. I am not too big on crockpot cooking as it all tastes the same and for me? I think a lot of the food in the instant pot can be the same way.

However, I love it for apple compote, yogurt, steel cut oats, ribs, eggs (especially eggs since I can't make hard boiled eggs to save my soul! ~ no laughing!!!) .... and am not sorry one little bit that I purchased it back in November!!!! Even dh uses it. I am still experimenting with it. It's another tool in my kitchen, but not a "do all" and "Be all" for me. although I do like it!

Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-17, 08:19 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Cleda, I can't explain it but I had this irrational fear that if I took the ring out I would some how make the pot "dangerous" if I didn't put it in perfectly. Now I feel like such a dork about that, it is so obvious when the ring is in correctly (or not).
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-17, 08:45 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I love my IP! I use it on pressure primarily for legumes, rice, quinoa, oatmeal, & stock. I use the sauté and slow cook setting for soups, stews, braising meat, & pasta sauce. I always take the ring out and usually run it through the dishwasher. IIRC, the manual recommends that. I haven't had a problem with it getting smelly.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-17, 05:46 PM  
gladgirl

Well, I guess it was meant to be...I am falling in love with my IP!
I am also extremely happy I went with the larger 8qt for my family. Thought I was going to have leftovers...it's turning out the eggs are gone, the chicken tikka is gone. I have Picadillo in there now, but no one is yet home. Now, the hunt for more recipes we will enjoy.

Thanks to all the enablers! Glad I pulled the trigger on this one!

Tags
instant pot, nutritional yeast, steel cut oats