Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-14, 08:04 AM  
Ann1964

Yoga System for the not so flexible

I have done yoga dvd's off and on for years, but nothing to hard.
I am not flexible at all, and at almost 50 I need to work on that.
I am a big time golfer, so I know it would help my game too.
I want a system that I want have to modify to death and I can grow into.
Suggestions please?

I don't like Rodney ?..... Hope you know who I am talking about.

Oh I guess I could list what I have and maybe you could help with what I have. I will update this later.

Thanks
Lorie
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 08:28 AM  
laurajhawk

I haven't tried it, but I'm thinking DDP Yoga might be really good for you? It gets great reviews here & is more progressive than most of the yoga systems - starts out short & simple and then builds up from there.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 10:33 AM  
Tinks

I really like Yoga: Gentle Practice with Zyrka Landwijt. It has 6 practices each with their own difficulty level and length. Here's the link to a clip of the DVD.

Also, if you like streaming, I recently joined myyogaworks.com because someone on here mentioned a great groupon price($65.00 for 1 year). They have a ton of level 1 Beginner yoga classes, and the teachers seem very knowledgeable. The website is easy to navigate too. Here's a link to the groupon in case you want to check it out.
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-14, 11:40 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
I haven't tried it, but I'm thinking DDP Yoga might be really good for you? It gets great reviews here & is more progressive than most of the yoga systems - starts out short & simple and then builds up from there.
I like DDP, but he is much more strength focused than flexibility focused. I actually think that stretching is the one thing missing from his program, although like I said, I think it's a great program.

I would second Zyrka's Gentle Practice. You might also consider Rodney Yee's Am Yoga for Your Week and Yoga for Your Week. They both have 5 short practices. Classical Stretch is not yoga, but it is good for flexibility. Season 4 is the gentlest and a good intro.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 08:13 AM  
Ann1964

thanks
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 08:34 AM  
dnna

the namaste yoga tv series is a great system, and easy to follow, easy to commit to-just under 30 minutes.
not s system but I use these so often,easy, easy to gain strength and flexiblity, not stressful!! easy to find, inexpensive.
Karen voight-Yoga Power- has two segments Yoga for Strength, Yoga for stretch (love!)
Madeline Lewis AM PM stretch- two segments, AM is a great 30 minute total body wake up stretch , PM is deeper Yoga holds
and surprisingly-Anna Benson Just Right Flex Posture, which was my introduction to yoga poses-not really"YOGA" - a nice hybrid blend, great stretches and finally got down dog! Anna leads it.
nice to have: Mimi Solaire Deep stretch and Insight Yoga Heaven with SArah Powers, it is like heaven. deep holds, long mellow stretches, i love them both
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 08:55 AM  
violingal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnna View Post
nice to have: Mimi Solaire Deep stretch
I enjoy this one, too. DH often asks if I want to do this video with him, and I'm always up for stretching. We also like Eoin Finn's Pure & Simple Yoga - I think it used to be called Yoga for Stiffies, so how can you go wrong with that?!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 09:33 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Classical Stretch.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 11:51 AM  
lrb04

Lorie~From one who was really inflexible (49 years old) & has improved but needs almost daily stretching/yoga to keep my body maintain and improve my flexibility, what ever you choose from these suggestions you need to be determined to stick to it & do it often. It took me a long time to get to my present state ( 1 1/2 years) & I still have lots to improve on but it is so worth your goal in doing this. So stay determined and you will see benefits not just in your golfing but every area in your life !
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 09:18 PM  
marya

Ann, I have flexibility, age, and joint issues, and I've given up on standard hatha yoga workouts. Prenatal hatha yoga has proved a much better fit, despite the fact that I've never been pregnant and am now postmenopausal. (My favorite is Shiva Rea's Prenatal Yoga.) The prenatal workouts tend to suggest helpful modifications and props.

I've found yoga very tonic, but for flexibility improvement, I've actually had better results from athletic stretch or hybrid workouts, such as Debbie Siebers' Cool It Off and Cool It Off Express and Tamilee Webb's Total Stretch for Beginners (which has three 10-minute stretch routines--perfect for add-ons--as well as a 30-minute routine).
marya is offline   Reply With Quote