Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-01-13, 06:35 PM  
Annie S.
VF Supporter

If you used to wear Avia shoes and switched . . .

I've worn Avia studio or crosstrainers since forever, and I'm finding they just don't work for me anymore (not to mention they only have one style of studio shoe available . . . grrr). The Avias used to be the perfect combination of a great fit and great cushioning and stability. Either they've changed, or my feet have. So -- if you used to be a diehard Avia person and made the switch to something else, what are you wearing now? I'm looking for shoes suitable for high-impact aerobics as well as step, low-impact, and strength training. The high-impact is the most important factor for me in a shoe. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and links, too!
Annie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-13, 06:48 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

I have this New Balance shoe. ETA: I see it takes you to the whole page. Scroll down until you see the 665 shoe.

It is classified as a walking shoe. I bought these at an Academy Sports while I was on vacation because I left my workout shoes at home. I bought the cheapest half-way decent (oxymoron much) shoes they had, about $35. They are significantly more on the NB site.

Anyway, I them so much. They are light. They have a smoother bottom that works well doing step. They have a nice cushion but not so much of a cushion that it feels like I have stuffed my foot in there.

And I am one of those people who try on shoes for an hour, find the "perfect" pair, and the when I get them home it is like I grew another toe. These, I didn't have a minute of that issue.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-13, 08:45 PM  
killoffsonny

Twenty years ago Avia's were all I ever bought. I don't really have a favorite brand now but for some reason I seem to gravitate to skechers. I buy other brands too but more skechers than any other brand.
Old 12-01-13, 09:22 PM  
Annie S.
VF Supporter

Thanks for the tip, Paidiamom. I'll check those out.

I bought these shoes a few weeks ago for walking and general use. They're running shoes, but they are the most comfortable shoes EVER. I get lots of compliments on them, too. http://www.shoes.com/en-US/Product/8...+Knockout.aspx
Old 12-02-13, 01:01 AM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom View Post
I
And I am one of those people who try on shoes for an hour, find the "perfect" pair, and the when I get them home it is like I grew another toe.
Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!! I am THE SAME WAY. What's up with that?! I've found I get good results if I wear shoes that hurt my feet *when* I go shoe shopping. If the shoe feels better than the one I'm wearing, I'll buy it.
Old 12-02-13, 06:38 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

The same thing happened to me - Avia just got cruddy, which is a tragedy for us who used to love them. Now I gravitate toward Nike or Asics, if I can find them.

For walking, I've just discovered Skechers GoWalk2 - just love them! I keep them under my desk at work and slip them on for my lunch walks. They are very comfortable, cushioned and they seem to make my leg muscles work harder. Glad I opened this thread - now I have a reason to look forward to going back to work after my Thanksgiving vacation.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-13, 07:40 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie S. View Post
Thanks for the tip, Paidiamom. I'll check those out.

I bought these shoes a few weeks ago for walking and general use. They're running shoes, but they are the most comfortable shoes EVER. I get lots of compliments on them, too. http://www.shoes.com/en-US/Product/8...+Knockout.aspx
OMG! Love!! I love those shoes! My sil was sweet enough to buy me a pair of Asics running shoes when she was visiting earlier last month so I don't need a new pair but those are definitely on my radar. I really like skechers too.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-13, 12:07 PM  
suzy
VF Supporter

Years ago all I could wear was Avia. I started having problems with them and someone on here suggested Ryka. They are perfect for me.
suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-13, 08:29 PM  
Annie S.
VF Supporter

Thanks, Suzy. I was looking at Rykas last night -- some of their styles have really good reviews for high impact, which is important for me. I think I'm going to bite the bullet . . . .
Old 12-02-13, 08:30 PM  
sherry7899

Thank you for this thread! It reinforces that it was not my imagination that Avia shoes became more flimsy and much less comfortable and well made than they used to be. I used to love them. I always got them on sale at Kohls with coupons, which was really nice. I didn't even need a "breaking in" period.

I will have to look into Rykas.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avia, shoes, substitutes