Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-09, 05:33 PM  
FitForever

How heavy do you lift in CLX?

I just got my CLX set & I love it . I have up to 20# dumbbells, but I thought I could actually go heavier on some lower body exercises. What is the range of dumbbells that you use? I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'm in for!
FitForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 05:52 PM  
MARIKA

I'm starting Monday!!

I'm curious to, 20# db's are the heaviest I have too. I have not been doing any serious lifting though for a while. I'm a little nervous because I don't want to bulk up. Looking for that elusive lean, defined dancer like body!
Old 09-25-09, 06:20 PM  
ilovemygreatdane

I never lift heavier than 20 lbs even for my lower body. It's all I own. I probably could go heavier for squats, but like I said I don't have the weights. As far as upper body, I try to concentrate on my form. I can go as high as 15 lbs on some exercises, but on others I am stuck at 8 lbs because my form would suffer. I am seeing great results even at this level and I do not (and should) watch what I put in my mouth. I am finishing my second round of the Burn Phase tomorrow. I love this program.
ilovemygreatdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 06:36 PM  
tigger

I am using up to 35s for lower body (though I use 25s for some of the one-leg moves). I use primarily 15-25 for upper body, with 20s being used most frequently and 12s on one of the rear shoulder moves in the Push phase. I haven't done Lean yet (start it the week after next), but have heard most lift less weight.
tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 09:19 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I used up to 35# dumbbells, but when I got to the second phase, I did some lower-body moves with a barbell, because I could go heaver than that, and it was more comfortable than trying to hold onto the heavy weights.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 10:30 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

Yeah, you're going to need some heavier weights, especially for the 2nd phase which is lifting heavy for 8 reps. You'll be amazed at what you can lift for only 8 reps.
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-09, 05:31 AM  
DRD0

I agree that heavier than 25 pound dumbbells is not very comfortable and a barbell is more comfortable. I have some adjustable dumbbells that can go quite heavy.
DRD0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-09, 07:42 AM  
FitForever

So, do you think if I got a set of 25# dumbbells and a barbell that goes up to 50#, that would be sufficient? My brother knows of a place where you can buy used fitness equipment pretty cheap, so I'm putting in my order!

I'd love to buy a set of adjustable dumbbells, but it's not really in the budget right now, but I've got my eye out on Craigslist for some bargains!

Thanks for all of your input!!!
FitForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-09, 09:08 AM  
cardio.junkie

I've used 40's for some of the lower body work. My forearms feel it more than my legs though. I'm sure my legs could handle more, but not my arms!! I'm too stubborn to use a barbell, trying to build up that forearm strength
cardio.junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-09, 09:22 AM  
Pie
VF Supporter

I got up to 35lb in the Push phase. You will need heavier weights.

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clx, dumbbell size