Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-19, 11:55 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Why become certified ...
https://www.petsit.com/pet-sitter-certification

I think it’s basically to help people decide between pet sitters if you don’t know them. Like we used to only interview job candidates with MBA degrees for marketing jobs where I used to use work. The degree was the first cut, fair or not. It’s a differentiator.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-19, 12:02 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Yes it’s important.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-19, 01:10 PM  
suzannaerin

Licensed and bonded, and obvious love of animals would be my primary prerequisites. It probably would be good to ensure they had a basic understanding of animal behavior and first aid. Sadly, a lot of the dog walkers my neighbors use are young adults who are texting while walking their client. Ignoring the dog, basically I’ve seen that with some of the child care providers too.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-19, 01:39 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

ask the prospective sitters for references. maybe check Yelp for reviews.

I think certification is good, but where we live there are so few cat boarding businesses period! we were looking for a cat sitter/boarding svc and there was only 1 on this island, and it was far away.

if you have a lot to choose from, then certification might help make the cut.

I would also inquire about people who do house sitting. they do a variety of services (errands, bring meals, light housework, pick up kids) and maybe pet sitting might be one of the services offered. those sorts of people tend to be bonded as well.

if it's for a dog, contact some of the local kennel clubs - i'm sure they know someone!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-19, 02:10 PM  
wendug

I am an occasional pet sitter/dog walker and I am not certified. I fell into this line of work from my pet sitter who needed help. I help my pet sitter out occasionally, and I've gained some local clients just from talking to people while out walking my own dogs. I've grown up with dogs, taken dogs through obedience classes and I'm just an animal lover in general. Honestly no one has ever asked me if I'm certified. I just meet with the client and animal and go over likes/quirks/expectations of the job. Everyone has been pleased with my services. I've had to turn down jobs when the dog is too big and unruly and recommend training to the owner.
Old 11-15-19, 02:58 PM  
Gams

Suzanne,

I almost had a heart attack once when I went to visit one of my dogs who was hospitalized at the vet’s office. They told me someone was walking him out back so I went around back and there was a girl sitting at a table texting on her phone. My dog was with her, but she had the leash on the ground with the end under one of her feet. If she had even moved her foot a little without thinking, my dog would have been long gone - he was a hound mix who always followed his nose.
Gams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-19, 08:43 AM  
Carol K

I use an agency called Fetch. I don't know if they have the certification you're talking about, but they are certainly bonded. They have copies of our keys, which can be given to one of their other sitters if our regular sitter is unable to show up on a scheduled day. I've been using this agency for ten years.
Old 11-16-19, 05:17 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

We have been very fortunate to have a great pet sitter. She has good training, and is a member of an organization that keeps tabs on the sitters. It's important to us for her to have training/certification because we have older animals who have to have medication administered. She is also able to recognize any issues with them while we are gone and is familiar with our vet practice. To us it makes us more comfortable to know that a person would know what to do if there is an emergency. Many sitters may be fine if everything goes well and all they have to do is feed/walk/empty litter boxes, but in an emergency we want someone who would be able to handle it and take care of our "babies."
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote