Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-14, 01:58 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Leslie suggestion for beginners?

I've been looking for a Leslie DVD to give to a friend. She has a lot of medical issues and finds exercise difficult, so I thought Leslie might be a good way for her to get up and moving, but it would have to be something at a beginner level. Any suggestions?
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-14, 02:59 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

sorry about your friend.

most Leslie's (like the 2 milers) are good ones to start with. do you own any leslie's? the Walk Slim 1 and 2 mile DVD offers 2 workouts. I believe it's called "Fast Start".

you might even want to offer doing the video with her as encouragement.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-14, 03:14 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
sorry about your friend.

most Leslie's (like the 2 milers) are good ones to start with. do you own any leslie's? the Walk Slim 1 and 2 mile DVD offers 2 workouts. I believe it's called "Fast Start".

you might even want to offer doing the video with her as encouragement.
No, I don't have any Leslie, but will probably get one soon. Seems like a good way to get some walking in during the dreary winter months (although you're in Hawaii so you don't have that problem, lol).

Thanks for the advice. That's a good idea (doing it with her).
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-14, 10:24 PM  
pennydutch

The most basic beginner Leslie is "Walk this Way" The Fast Start one has "boosted walking" intervals and might scare off someone new to exercise.

Penny
pennydutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 12:15 AM  
Eibhinn

I would recommend her Start Walking at Home 1 and 2 mile. They're pretty basic, and Leslie is positive and friendly and talks about the many health benefits of walking. Most importantly for me, I think, these weren't produced by her. For me this means a) the music is better than her usual releases and b) it has a more professional/less informal vibe, meaning she doesn't make a whole bunch of weird and annoying comments and the whole thing seems more planned and rehearsed (and therefore easy to follow) than a lot of her stuff. Assuming she's not a vidiot who will stockpile lots of Leslie stuff, I think it's important to get her something that doesn't have comments about who's a grandma etc. that get really annoying if you're doing the same video over and over again. I've done a lot of different Leslie's and these are probably my very favourites, and the ones that bear the most repetition for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Start-Walking-...s=leslie+start
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 12:53 AM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydutch View Post
The most basic beginner Leslie is "Walk this Way" The Fast Start one has "boosted walking" intervals and might scare off someone new to exercise.

Penny
I was thinking the same thing. When I was having serious health challenges several years ago, anything over a gentle Leslie 1 mile was too much for me. My starters were the first workout on Ultimate Collection, and the DVD with Walk Diet on it (there is a multi DVD with this on it now, that has several good easy ones). I was having breathing as well as physical challenges, and then I got my mom started on these as well.
Good luck!
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 12:55 AM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
I would recommend her Start Walking at Home 1 and 2 mile. They're pretty basic, and Leslie is positive and friendly and talks about the many health benefits of walking. Most importantly for me, I think, these weren't produced by her. For me this means a) the music is better than her usual releases and b) it has a more professional/less informal vibe, meaning she doesn't make a whole bunch of weird and annoying comments and the whole thing seems more planned and rehearsed (and therefore easy to follow) than a lot of her stuff. Assuming she's not a vidiot who will stockpile lots of Leslie stuff, I think it's important to get her something that doesn't have comments about who's a grandma etc. that get really annoying if you're doing the same video over and over again. I've done a lot of different Leslie's and these are probably my very favourites, and the ones that bear the most repetition for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Start-Walking-...s=leslie+start
Oooh! I bet my mom would like these! I didn't even know about them! Thanks!
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 02:44 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Sorry to ask, I haven't try any Leslie Sansone Dvds, are they just for beginners? TIA

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 05:02 AM  
daimere

Years ago when I was 275 and just beginning, I started with fast start leslie. I did the 1 mile for a few weeks. Then I ramped it up to 2 miler. Within a few months, I was doing 3s! It was the set with the weight balls (which I never used).
daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-14, 07:27 AM  
dlb

Does it have to be Leslie?

Cardio For Beginners by Petra Kolber. It has 4 mix & match options.

Debbie
dlb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginners, leslie sansone