Nuggie's Aunt, I love your blog
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14, 02:46 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Awww, thanks for the blog love, guys!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-14, 06:02 PM  
trishthedish

Man am I jelly of your P57 experiences! They sound SO awesome! Someday, someday I will get there!!!
Old 01-04-14, 06:52 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishthedish View Post
Man am I jelly of your P57 experiences! They sound SO awesome! Someday, someday I will get there!!!
Trish, you must!! It's so wonderful.

Tonight we went out to dinner in a neighboring town and my son said, "Mommy, I saw a Physique 57 sign on a door!" I laughed out loud and wished with all my heart it could be true!! I do love my local Pure Barre, but it's not quite the same....
Old 01-05-14, 03:45 AM  
daimere

I love your blog, too, Nuggie!

I wish I had read more in parts of this thread cause I ordered from amazon. Now I am worried.

I have a question regarding P57 (and most barre workouts have this issue). On pretzels, I cannot lift up my leg like they do. The beginner modifier is out of the frame and I can't see what she is doing. I also noticed no-beginner in frame in dailey method at one point(which I got today and previewed it to see what she does different).

What do I do with pretzel? I want to be able to do this miracle pretzel! Also, I cannot keep my thighs up for thigh dancing. Could I hold onto my barre to give me some lift to be able to attempt the move? I can still feel it burning.
daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 06:35 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Daimere,the p57 instructors always say to focus on sensation, not height. So if you're feeling the burning sensation, that's good! Thigh dancing and pretzel are both really hard!

With pretzel, you can lean forward to enable your knee to come off the floor a little, but I wouldn't worry so much about height. We did pretzel in my recent class with Tanya and she emphasized height wasn't as important as keeping the lifting leg back behind the hip, if that makes sense. When I first started doing pretzel, I practically had my face on the floor in front of me! It seemed like such an impossible move, but I can do it now. It just takes some practice.

Alternatively, you can drop down to you opposite forearm during pretzel. So if you're lifting your left leg, you are leaning on your right forearm. Just keep the working leg back behind your hip, or you won't be working you bum so much.

For thigh dancing, again, you really don't need to move up and down much. It's more important to keep your back straight, which also makes it way harder. I needed to take lots of breaks during that segment, at first. Thigh and Seat sets you up nicely for this move. I still find thigh dancing really hard! As long as you're feeling the sensation in your thighs, you're good!
Old 01-05-14, 07:12 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post

Alternatively, you can drop down to you opposite forearm during pretzel. So if you're lifting your left leg, you are leaning on your right forearm. Just keep the working leg back behind your hip, or you won't be working you bum so much.

For thigh dancing, again, you really don't need to move up and down much. It's more important to keep your back straight, which also makes it way harder. I needed to take lots of breaks during that segment, at first. Thigh and Seat sets you up nicely for this move. I still find thigh dancing really hard! As long as you're feeling the sensation in your thighs, you're good!
That's the way I do Pretzel.

Thigh dancing hurts my knees lately. As do pulsing static low lunges. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or if there's something wrong with my knees.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 07:31 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
That's the way I do Pretzel.

Thigh dancing hurts my knees lately. As do pulsing static low lunges. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or if there's something wrong with my knees.
A modification for thigh dancing is standing sideways at the barre and lifting the outer leg straight up and down. Keep the working leg straight, hip not turned out, and keep the movement small, standing leg slightly bent. I've seen some people use that modification during thigh dancing segments in live classes.

Also, Pure Barre and The Ballet Physique have video tutorials. Pure Barre usually comes out with them every Tuesday, and Physique 57 has form tips on their blog.
Old 01-05-14, 12:12 PM  
topfitmama

Thanks for the tips, Nuggies Auntie. I will check out the form pointers on the P57 blog. Is that move you are talking about similar to the first thigh move in BP Signature? The one where she is standing with her back to the barre and lifts one leg in parallel, first doing a larger move touching the floor and going up, then just pulsing?
I'm wondering if that move is also in Thigh and Seat. If I recall correctly, Shelly does this move standing at the side of the barre and lifting one leg really straight up and down, then pulsing at the top. It sure burns the quads...
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 12:23 PM  
koinonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimere View Post
I love your blog, too, Nuggie!

I wish I had read more in parts of this thread cause I ordered from amazon. Now I am worried.

I have a question regarding P57 (and most barre workouts have this issue). On pretzels, I cannot lift up my leg like they do. The beginner modifier is out of the frame and I can't see what she is doing. I also noticed no-beginner in frame in dailey method at one point(which I got today and previewed it to see what she does different).

What do I do with pretzel? I want to be able to do this miracle pretzel! Also, I cannot keep my thighs up for thigh dancing. Could I hold onto my barre to give me some lift to be able to attempt the move? I can still feel it burning.
I have a fluidity bar and hold on to it to keep my upper body up during pretzel. And it's not cheating (I don' think lol) because other barre gurus like Michelle Austin and Callan Pinckney do it in their workouts. Like Nuggie says, you can lean forward or lean to the side during pretzel until you get better at it. Its suppose to be hard but you will get stronger and improve over time. Just remember that your hip should be rolled forward during pretzel. I've been doing barre for years and I still can't sit up straight like they do in P57. Maybe because I've become too dependent on the fluidity bar.
koinonia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
p57, p57 customer service, physique 57, tanya becker