Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-11, 03:52 PM  
acescholar

They really *don't* make them like they used to...

As part of my slow buying challenge, I've been trying to use more of the stuff I already have. A few years ago, I bought a couple of (first edition, I think) Ryka N-Gauge ankle high shoes on sale, and I didn't really like the ankle so I put them in the back of my closet. Well, I've worn out all my cardio shoes, and I haven't been satisfied with my workout shoes in a while, so I decided to pull these old Ryka's out again. I can't believe how much more cushioned they are than the later Ryka versions I bought after them. I feel like I'm floating.

I'm not sure why Ryka has reduced its cushioning, but I've tried several models and they don't come near the cushioning on these older ones. Maybe they are going for more flexibility? I don't know, but I'm thrilled to have these "new" old shoes -- and I will now wear them until they wear out! I just wish I could buy this model again when my current pairs wear out.
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 05:43 PM  
pgun3

I totally agree with the cushion. Back in the 90's I had a pair of Ryka's that I thought I needed to get rid of (used for along time for working out) and used them for work shoes (at the time I worked in a factory w/cement floors), well as you said it felt like I was floating! They were great! I have yet to find ANY workout shoes that compare to those shoes!
pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 05:59 PM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

Also, the soles wear out easier now. I was very disappointed in the last pair I ordered from them - very little cushioning and the mesh holes are so big all over the top of the shoe that you can clearly see the color of your socks through them. There is just less and less to them. If I'm going to set stuck with cheaply made shoes, then my next pair might as well be from Target.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 08:04 PM  
beth22

I think you can attribute that to the "barefoot craze" (aka "less is more"). But less ISN'T more if it's made poorly and improperly. I agree--nothing compares to the old Rykas. It sad.
beth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-11, 05:43 AM  
kimmie2191
VF Supporter

I agree, I actually had to put cushion insoles in my latest pair of Ryka's!
kimmie2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-11, 05:55 AM  
adrien_73

I used to be a huge fan of rykas and avias. In the lasy few years I don't find them to be supportive or cushioned enough.

As a last resort, I have now started using my running shoes for all of my workouts. I wear Brooks Adrenaline GTS and Asics 2150s. My feet are much happier, but they don't offer the extra ankle support that I need.
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 03:39 PM  
anetta

I feel this way about my New Balance shoes, they just aren't the same and they don't last as long.

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 11:45 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I did an old Leslie Sansone workout yesterday - Weight Loss Walk. I noticed that the aerobic shoes they were wearing had much thicker soles than you see now.

I can't find aerobic shoes that I like now. I have a pair of NB that are just OK. I can remember having shoes that were very cushiony and supportive back in the day. I wore Nike mid-tops for years until they stopped making the ones I liked.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 11:51 AM  
icebergslim

I love my skechers. In fact, I have 3 pairs. 2 I use for work, because I walk a lot and during lunch. The other pair is straight walking shoes when I take the dogs out to the dog park. I agree with the complaints about the Ryka shoes, the last pair I had was not nearly as comfortable to my prior Rykas. The shoe quality is not the same.
icebergslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 12:05 PM  
J'Ann

I hate shoe shopping. When I find a pair I like, I buy two. Saves time having to find good shoes again.

J'Ann
J'Ann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ryka, shoes