Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-21, 09:57 AM  
PennyK

Calm and Controlled Workouts

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-21, 10:43 AM  
donnamp

hi Penny,

I agree, I enjoy the slow and controlled workouts as well.

Some that I like are:

Pahla Bowers (her new stuff - 2019 - present is slower and more controlled)

CocoLime Fitness - she used to have a more robust You Tube channel but moved a lot of her stuff to a Vimeo channel that requires a monthly fee - it isn't very expensive though.

And, a new find - Senior Shape w/ Lauren:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkW...LuRDhH7uxtZqqA

Fabulous 50's is another that looks good (although I haven't tried any yet)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiW...OXjQ6xY0gIrhIQ

I am finding myself gravitating more and more towards these types of routines as well. I often feel like I'm nursing some sort of injury and moving slower w/ more control feels better.

If I can think of any more I will post!

I do remember you posting about the loss of your DS. and ((HUGS))

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-21, 10:45 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I like Mirabai Holland's Moving Free Level 1 series. I might get Level 2 but some of the clips seem redundant to 1.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-21, 11:32 AM  
alisoncooks

I'm with you, Penny!

I've never been fond of intense workouts. I don't have the coordination or the speed. To put it another way: I'm clumsy and prone to injuring myself. And I hate jumping!

I've always been intermediate, at most. Even when I was at my fittest, I was doing the calmer barre workouts.

I've been enjoying these "senior strength" from YMCA of Greater Houston (I'm not a senior, but I appreciate slower strength and balance work). I like the workouts led by Ariel the most:
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...Y-u5VpIijOGgUE
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-21, 02:23 PM  
donnamp

Alison - thanks for sharing, those look good - I like the music, too!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-21, 04:20 PM  
Leonana

I never go beyond intermediate either, I'm probably low intermediate. My favorite dvd is Jessica Smith's Get Strong dvd. She moves slower in both those workouts.
Old 02-22-21, 04:56 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Thanks for these suggestions. I seem to have the "injury of the month" these days. Just as one injury heals up, I get injured again. Just in the past few months it was my hamstring (too heavy deadlifting), my lower back (again, too heavy deadlifting), my shoulder (burpees), my hip (too deeply squatting), and now it's my knee (doing jumping workouts too many times). Still waiting on my knee to feel better after 10 days, but I guess an overuse strain/sprain can take weeks to heal. Walking even aggravates it now.

So I guess this one is indeed my wake up call to really go to the level of where I'm at instead of the level that I used to be. Sigh. But that won't even be anytime soon until my knee heals. Double sigh.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-21, 08:54 PM  
schoolgirl-01

i enjoy a reasonable pace too. i tend to cycle up and down i'll do a month or so of intermediate and then i'll push it for a month or so and go back to the intermediate again for a month.

it feeds my desire to push hard but not for too long so i avoid injuries
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-21, 09:38 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
Thanks for these suggestions. I seem to have the "injury of the month" these days. Just as one injury heals up, I get injured again. Just in the past few months it was my hamstring (too heavy deadlifting), my lower back (again, too heavy deadlifting), my shoulder (burpees), my hip (too deeply squatting), and now it's my knee (doing jumping workouts too many times). Still waiting on my knee to feel better after 10 days, but I guess an overuse strain/sprain can take weeks to heal. Walking even aggravates it now.

So I guess this one is indeed my wake up call to really go to the level of where I'm at instead of the level that I used to be. Sigh. But that won't even be anytime soon until my knee heals. Double sigh.

Sorry to hear about your recent injuries. Not to hijack the thread, but I recently saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpaDKdPbTrY

which is Bob and Brad (youtube physical therapists who've been mentioned in the forum here previously) talking about exercises people over 50 should "never" do, and better alternatives. They focus on lower back and shoulders especially. I watched it sometime in the last week and I've been really conscious of these moves (haven't quite started on the alternatives yet ).
Old 02-23-21, 07:46 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Margaret Richard is slow, controlled, safe moves, good form.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bobandbrad, calm, controlled, intermediate, intermediate workouts, slow weights, slow workouts