Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-03-20, 09:15 AM  
sherry7899

question for morning exercisers

I used to be able to wake up and start exercising within ten minutes of getting up. I would put my contacts in, wash my face, brush my teeth, get changed and get started.

The last few months I can't do that. I feel too stiff when I first get up. Are these the joys of being over 50?

Does anyone have any movement they do before getting started that helps that out before doing their workout?

Thanks!
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-20, 09:30 AM  
Gams

Even when I work out in the morning, I still move around some before hand because I always have a bowl of cereal, feed the dogs and let them outside (sometimes walk them first), so I think I do enough movement to keep from being stiff when I start to exercise.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-20, 09:37 AM  
Vantreesta

Sherry, do you have a rebounder to just bounce on a few minutes before your workout? Or maybe a short Leslie walk as a warmup?

Like Gams, I usually work out after my dog walk so stiffness isn't a problem for me. However, I have been trying to do a short yoga practice before breakfast (which is before the dog walk usually) and have been doing my PT exercises first sometimes. That seems to help wake up my muscles.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-20, 10:35 AM  
Demeris

I'm 63 and wake up stiff every morning. I like to do some gentle movement before I exercise. I really like to use the short youtube segments from Essentrics (If I'm not doing a whole CS/Essentrics workout) to move my body and get it ready for a workout.

OR I will do Primary Back Stretch from T-Tapp. It does the same thing in a more structured way.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-20, 11:42 AM  
PhyllisG

Koya webb

I do koya Webb’s Bed Yoga. I do it on my yoga mat on the floor. I even do this if I don’t plan on working out until later in the day.
PhyllisG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-20, 11:54 AM  
DCW

What is your night routine? I sometimes do a relaxing Essentrics routine before bed or stretch really good before bed.

Otherwise I have no problems with morning exercise, but my hand can give me issues if I don't stay on top of it.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-20, 11:55 AM  
DCW

Quick Question
After exercising do you cook down and stretch?
Old 09-03-20, 11:55 AM  
DCW

Cool down
Old 09-03-20, 12:14 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post

The last few months I can't do that. I feel too stiff when I first get up. Are these the joys of being over 50?

Thanks!
Sherry
Short answer is a probable "yes"

I was actually going to ask a similar question several months ago. I always exercised in the morning, after a light breakfast. Now I wait a little longer, until I'm more loosened up. I might do a short walking workout to get moving, but depending on time, that might be all I end up doing.

I like to get my "sweaty" workout out of the way in the morning, then maybe something lighter in the afternoon. Lately I've been doing little things throughout the day (walking, short strength segment, Essentrics). I'm not sure the last time I did a full cardio workout in one "sitting", so to speak.
Old 09-03-20, 03:05 PM  
Leonana

I do some leg stretches when I first get out of bed. It helps to keep my plantar fasciitis at bay. And I have three cats that demand to be fed. And each one wants different food. That loosens me up quite a bit lol.

Tags
morning exercise, morning exercisers