Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-10-20, 03:15 PM  
Honeydew

I think I've been scammed

So today I got a call from cvs(showed up on call i.d., it's the cvs pharmacy that I use) anyway, I talked to a person who asked if it's me and I answered without thinking " yes it is" Now, this person kept telling me how my prescriptions can change to 90 days but if I only wanted 30 days I could do that. After I hung up, I thought that was weird, because most of mine are already for 90 days. I called my cvs and was told there were only 2 people working in the pharmacy today and they didn't call me. I called corporate and they are not showing any calls to me today.

I am freaking out because there are scams where they say can you hear me? and if you say "yes" apparentlly they can use your voice as an id. So what should I do now?
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-20, 03:33 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

So long as you didn't give any financial information to the person you spoke with (such as your credit card or bank account number), you should be okay. Just keep close watch on your accounts (as we all should anyway), and if you are really worried, then enroll in one of the credit report tracking services.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-20, 04:44 PM  
katmom

Because of scammers, if I don’t recognize the number, I answer the phone with “Who’s calling please?”. If they identify themselves and I don’t recognize them, I then inquire what is the reason for their call. The majority of the time, it is a telemarketer that I respond with requesting to be put on the do no call list and hang up. Or if it sounds like scammers, I just hang up.
Old 07-10-20, 04:47 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Ok, to make you feel better...... I think that really was CVS that called you. I got a really strange call like that on my cell phone for my son and no scammer would know to ask for his name on my cell phone. The thing is, what they told him is that he can get 90 days instead of 30. So, that part is odd. I'm not sure why they would tell you that you could get 30 instead of 90 -- who would want to go that way? I'm a little nervous about him telling to go to 90 because what if that dosage isn't right? But, at any rate, I don't think you have to worry about any sort of scam. I think it's CVS being disorganized.

ETA: I just re-read your post more slowly. I think it was the exact same phone call.
Old 07-10-20, 11:31 PM  
Honeydew

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Ok, to make you feel better...... I think that really was CVS that called you. I got a really strange call like that on my cell phone for my son and no scammer would know to ask for his name on my cell phone. The thing is, what they told him is that he can get 90 days instead of 30. So, that part is odd. I'm not sure why they would tell you that you could get 30 instead of 90 -- who would want to go that way? I'm a little nervous about him telling to go to 90 because what if that dosage isn't right? But, at any rate, I don't think you have to worry about any sort of scam. I think it's CVS being disorganized.

ETA: I just re-read your post more slowly. I think it was the exact same phone call.
Thank you! What's strange though, is that the number on my caller id is the number for the cvs pharmacy that I go to. I called that pharmacy, coporate(to see if they made calls like that) and I also called CareMark since we are signed up for it and everyone I talked to said, no, they didn't call me and there were no records of a call being made to me. Sometimes they will say that a 90 day supply will be cheaper when a lot of times it isn't. It will still be the same dose, just 90 days worth instead of 30 days. Did they ask you for any info?

Thanks FitBoop, I"ll be checking my credit card statements and signed up for a year of the free credit report and will check every week.
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-20, 08:01 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Usually you have to get your doctor or PA to okay a 90 day prescription supply. It seems very strange to want to reduce it to 30 days unless you know that's all you'll be needing. That too, should come from your doctor or PA. I wonder if the pharmacy makes more money if they refill more often. The whole thing seems very strange.

Refuse to deal with any financial issues over the phone, unless you initiate them, and even then be careful.
Old 07-11-20, 09:19 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I was getting texts and calls from CVS about 90 day supplies too. What's weird is I don't take any prescription medications so no idea why they were bothering me, but it was very persistent, so I blocked the number for a few months and then unblocked it and haven't had any issues since. The number was my local CVS. I never answered the phone or responded to the texts. I have no idea if it was a scam or not, but it is strange that it seems to be coming from a local CVS.
Old 07-11-20, 10:05 AM  
Taiga

Perhaps it is a scam but actually initiated by CVS. Pharmacies can innocently appear to ask if you approve 90 day refills so that they can seek other profitable and sometimes inappropriate refills on your behalf. Many medical offices are busy and receive numerous contacts (pharmacy calls/faxes per day). A doctor can be "tricked" into filling prescriptions just as patients can be tricked into allowing the pharmacy to ask for refills on their behalf.

Something like this. The comments below the main post will give you the idea as well.

Don't assume you are safe if you avoid giving insurance/payment information. Approving any refills can give the pharmacy the loophole they need to start filling unnecessary, outdated etc prescriptions. It's sort of like authorizing a blank check.
Old 07-11-20, 10:10 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Most likely was CVS. My health insurance at work is partnered with CVS/Caremark and I am pestered regularly with calls from RNs wanting to talk over my "health concerns." I've started to think they must have quarterly quotas of phone calls to make. I even called my plan provider and they said the calls are not from my insurance but from "our partnership with Caremark." Other than that, my plan provider has no info to offer on the calls.

It's all fuzzy and I wish it would quit. I let all unrecognized numbers go to voicemail now. Big Pharma!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-20, 04:04 PM  
TracyQ

I don’t take any medications regularly but had surgery in November and came home with a bunch of prescriptions. My husband filled them for me at CVS and must have given them his cell phone number although he doesn’t recall doing so. After that he would get calls and texts regularly from CVS saying my prescriptions were ready or asking if I wanted them to fill my prescriptions. He just deleted them because by then I was off all meds. One day when we were together he got a call and mentioned it to me. I called CVS and very sternly told them to remove my husband’s number from my account. He hasn’t received a call since and neither have I.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scam, scams