Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-20, 02:13 PM  
suzannaerin

Sewing machine recommendations

Santa wants to bring me an upgraded sewing machine since COVID has turned me into a quilt making maniac. I currently have a basic Singer heavy duty. My sister recommended Juki or Pfaff but loves her Janome. Any quilters have recommendations, something user friendly in terms of threading the needle, loading the bobbin, etc. thanks
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 02:50 PM  
sillygirl

What's your budget?

Any must-haves? Needle up/down? Drop-in bobbin vs. front-loading? Large sewing area to the right of the needle? Electronic, computerized, or mechanical type sewing machine? Do you have a dealer nearby? There are so many brands and models to choose from!
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 03:31 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

They are a lot of brands! I've been using Husqvarna Viking for a long time and really love my machines. I think they also bought out Pfaff. I sew mostly for children's heirloom but would love to start quilting soon. Good luck on your decision! You can test drive the Viking machines at Joann's, but I've purchased mine from other dealers. I have a Babylock serger and really love it. Other people seem to love their Babylock sewing machines.

Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 04:30 PM  
Dontmindthemess

I upgraded my basic Kenmore sewing machine to a mid level Janome 780 dc about six months ago. I do mostly garment sewing but I’m totally open to quilting and I wanted a machine that I could use for either. There are so many machines to choose from!!! If you can it might be a good idea to try a few different ones at a local dealer. You might also be able to pick up a lovely used machine. The Love to Sew podcast has an episode on sewing machines. They are garment sewists but the podcast is really wonderful and well produced. Here’s the sewing machine episode https://lovetosewpodcast.com/episode...-machines-101/

Jane
Dontmindthemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 04:45 PM  
TriciaR
VF Supporter

It really depends on your budget and what types of sewing your do.
If you wanted a straight stitch only with a lot of power and good machine piecing and quilting, I would recommend a Juki TL-2010q. I have an older version of this machine and it is still going strong. I also make bags with this machine.
I have had Vikings, Pfaffs and Janome as my main machines and all these are good machines. Although I find Janome to be a bit temperamental. The best info source is;
sewingpatternreview.com
It has reviews with prices and a great forum, although you may need to sign up for an account for full viewing.
Tricia
TriciaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 04:59 PM  
deineira

I'm a quilter too and I have an old Bernina (1230) and a new Viking Sapphire 930. I love them both but I have to say the Bernina is a dream. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Viking but I mostly straight stitch and will never use that stuff anyways - and if I do want it, the Bernina still has a ton of stitches and can do embroidery.I like it better because it's soooo smooth, has nice weight which really keeps the fabric anchored - even when you get to the end of your line, and it's sooo quiet. It just "feels" like a quality machine. It was my backup machine but it quickly became my primary.

If you are only doing piecing, then you may not need to invest in a machine with a large throat. If you're doing your own quilting, then you are going to be happier with something that has at least a 9-10" throat, which the Viking has. I went with the Viking because I didn't want to spend thousands and thousands on a machine. Like anything, it depends on your budget. I think most of the big name machines are good quality, especially Jukis, Pfaffs, Vikings, etc. But it really depends on how much you want to invest, how much you sew, and whether you're doing your own quilting or sending it out to a longarmer.

I agree that it's wise to focus your search on what your local dealers sell, as it will be much easier to get it serviced and maintained, and also just to have someone knowledgeable for questions. They will also give you a lesson or two on how to use it properly, which is super helpful for the newer machines that have so many functions.

Enjoy! Quilting has become my obsession the last few years and it brings me so much joy!
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 07:59 PM  
schoolgirl-01

i'm a quilter too. the first thing i would say is do you need fancy stitches or just a straight stitch?

once you decide that than the next features you would want is needle up/down, a knee level, thread cutter, and as big a throat as you can afford.

as far as brand you've got to be careful because all machine companies make a low end brand and a higher quality brand.

Juki, Janome, Pfaff, Viking, Babylock, Bernina are all excellent brands so it's really going to depend on which local dealers are near you and who's going to be willing to cut you the best deal.

i personally prefer Juki for features you get compared to price point. i have a Juki 2010Q, Juki F600, a Juki Industrial for handbag making, and the Juki Longarm for frame quilting.
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-20, 10:35 PM  
BunnyHop

Will you need more than a straight stitch? That's a dividing line for me. I need a multi purpose machine for general sewing. Getting a specialized machine more geared towards quilting will have to wait.

My forty year old Viking bit the dust a while back and I've been dithering about getting a new one. It seems as though everybody in the world is also on the hunt for a new machine and supplies are low.

After considering a lot of other options I came home with a Brother PS100 Pacesetter the other day. It was fairly cheap, as such things go, and it was driving me crazy not having any sewing machine at all to work with.

I'd considered the Janome HD3000, because it was less expensive than the HD 9 and the HD 9 is a straight stitch only machine.

The Brother is really small, but the stitches seem nice. Wish it didn't vibrate so much, LOL!! It's simple to operate, though. I've already made myself some more masks. A tote bag is next to see if it's up to the challenge of canvas. If I'd thought it through I'd probably have gotten the LX3817, it seems similar and buying at Walmart would have spared me an hour's driving. Ah, well.
Old 12-12-20, 12:59 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

if you're starting out, get a good basic machine and splurge to get a walking foot and some other quilting feet. if you can keep this up for 5 years, evaluate after that time whether to upgrade to a really high-end Janome quilting machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriciaR View Post
The best info source is;
sewingpatternreview.com
It has reviews with prices and a great forum, although you may need to sign up for an account for full viewing.
Tricia
that website, like VF can be detrimental to your wallet!!! i am also a member there - you can get a free account.

after having joined sewingpatternreview.com, i found myself owning more machines! i even have pity on machines in the thrift store or on craigslist and have been known to bring them home. that site has a really good review section on patterns. on their forum, they have members who repair machines and provide a lot of info about durability of certain brands and models.

i have the following - the first 2 are my most used machines, which i use for crafts and sewing Barbie clothes and some basic garments and hemming jeans.

1. Kenmore Mini Ultra - a 3/4 size mechanical; this is actually made by Janome and resembles the Janome Gem
  2. Singer Serger - 4 thread
  3. New Home - made by Janome - full sized mechanical
  4. Bernina 1010 full sized mechanical
  5. Brother computerized
  6. Simplicity 3/4 size mechanical
1 - bought from neighbor's garage sale for $25. This is a solid machine that i take all over the house and sometimes to my sister's to hang out and sew. I owned a second one exactly like it (from thrift store) and i gave it to my niece.
2 - bought from Costco; i use this a lot to finish seams and raw edges. every sewist needs one.
3 - Bought new from a dealer. have had this for 25 years and it's pretty solid.
4 - from Ebay. i was helping son's marching band with a project (color guard flags), and after sewing with this same model, i decided to get one for myself, and then bought specialized feet from a Yahoo group and from Ebay. This machine is extremely solid, and makes you understand why people are loyal to Bernina. For Color Guard flags, we were using a wavy stitch on very fine nylon, silk-like fabric.
5 - Brother - bought new from costco. got it for its ability to sew keyhole buttonholes - very expensive buttonholer! it also has "needle up" and does some decorative stiches but it's not considered a high-end computerized machine.
6 - Someone on Craigslist gave this to me for free when i informed them the storage compartment on the free-arm was missing. i was able to order the part online. i plan to sell this since i don't use it.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-20, 10:26 AM  
suzannaerin

Thanks to all for the recommendations, I'll check them out. My Singer is a workhorse but it's lightweight and limited. Right now, I'm doing basically straight stitch but as my skills improve, I'll likely become more adventurous!
I want something well made, solid, reliable, and relatively easy to use. Quality is important.
I'll likely join sewingpatternreview.com. My sister and I were enabling each other, so I have invested in a lot of fabric. Sadly, she was laid off due to COVID, so she's been avoiding temptation (she has a lot of fabric in her "hoarder stash" so she's good for years, haha!!).
By the way, I discovered this Lunn has an Etsy site (dangerous, warning!). I had been buying Robt Kaufman precuts of their fabrics, so you can imagine how thrilled I was to discover that I could buy directly. https://www.etsy.com/shop/LunnFabrics clink the link at your own risk!!!
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote