Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-30-20, 11:33 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I think that, after the quarantine, the die hard vidiots will continue and the johnny-come-lately will die out.
I agree. A lot of people can't motivate themselves to work out at home and need a gym or personal trainer to be consistent. We are a unique bunch here that enjoy new workout DVD and streaming options and don't need an audience to keep motivated.
Old 04-30-20, 12:32 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I agree. A lot of people can't motivate themselves to work out at home and need a gym or personal trainer to be consistent. We are a unique bunch here that enjoy new workout DVD and streaming options and don't need an audience to keep motivated.
And I can't motivate myself to get to a gym Pack up, drive there, unpack, realize I forgot something, workout, drive home.... way too much bother. I do have a $10/month membership that I kept because I needed access to a shower during my bathroom remodel, but I don't think I can cancel until they reopen.
Old 04-30-20, 02:28 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan H View Post
I do puzzles regularly and the same thing has been happening with them. Puzzles companies have had to quit taking orders because the demand has been so great. I expect there will be plenty available at thrift shops and different marketplaces in the future.
my sister and i have been trading boxes of puzzles. i got 5 from a friend and in return gave her 2 homemade face masks that i sewed and a batch of oatmeal cookies!

Walmart is devoid of puzzles and board games! all i can think about are the lonely puzzles in the closed Savers thrift store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I think that, after the quarantine, the die hard vidiots will continue and the johnny-come-lately will die out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
This is going to blow over. I'll keep an eye out on eBay and Craig's List and Facebook MarketPlace for discount gear
my thoughts exactly on these 2 posts.

i think there will be a few converts. and going back to the gym - it'll be like after they released the movie Jaws, how people were afraid to go back into the water, they will be hesitant to go back to the gym.

it'll be clean and safe, but the new normal for working out in the gym will be different. might people finally follow etiquette and wipe the equipment when they're done? nah, we can only dream.

but working out at home? it's your equipment, your skin cells on the surfaces.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-20, 06:32 PM  
katmom

One of my co-workers used to go to the gym before coming into the office. She told me she did not realize she already had enough equipment at home. Nor did she realize how much time she spent packing and commuting to the gym daily. About 2 weeks into the quarantine, she told me she would probably not renew her gym membership (she is self motivated). I shared several YouTube links for programs I thought she would like (she loves Coffeyfit RAW) as well as forwarding emails from some trainers that offered free written workouts during the quarantine.
Old 04-30-20, 08:26 PM  
tangerine

I tried the gym routine, it was such a hassle. Get there, try to find parking, it was usually full until the last class let out. The classes were full of people wanting to be buddies and they had an email list for birthday parties and were super social and sharing their news at the beginning of every class.

I'm an introvert, I just wanted to focus on the work out. I don't like chatting or socializing when I'm at the gym. That and people were waiting on the weight training equipment while I was using it a lot of times. I stopped going and went back to what I knew - DVDs and now adding online workouts and it's so much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan H
I do puzzles regularly and the same thing has been happening with them. Puzzles companies have had to quit taking orders because the demand has been so great. I expect there will be plenty available at thrift shops and different marketplaces in the future.
Me too, I love puzzles! People are already trading and selling for really low prices in my area now but I'm waiting a bit longer. People seem to do them once and then trade them so I'm sure they'll come back around soon!
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-20, 10:45 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

I expect there will be a combination of outcomes for people. Some will find they prefer to work out at home and that the resources for that are more and better than they expected. Some will go back to their gyms but do a home workout a day or two a week or when it's too difficult or inconvenient to get to the gym. Some will confirm that they really prefer the gym and go back when they can, though I do expect that will be a slow process, especially in places that were hard hit by the virus. Some will peter out on the home workouts and never get back into a gym routine either. I don't like the noise or atmosphere of the gym and will stick with my home routine, supported by a few hundred DVDs and the appropriate, though minimal, equipment.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-20, 06:05 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

I think it’s great because maybe they won’t think I’m crazy since they have discovered that working out at home is actually doable and enjoyable.

Having said that, they have wiped out every piece of equipment everywhere. Not that I need any necessarily, but I was looking for a duplicate piece to put in my office and there is nothing. And restocking is not happening.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-20, 07:33 AM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

I think it’s a great thing and hope they all find VF and join us! It can only lead to more content and a stronger community!

And I’m one of those who rediscovered puzzles at the beginning of March. Fortunately I got some orders in early, but wow, it’s nuts and there’s a lot of price gouging. Very glad I found some reputable sources!
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-20, 09:18 AM  
Gams

Most of the people I know don’t exercise at all. Of the ones that do, most workout to DVDs at home and the others are joggers/hikers. My mom has a gym membership and she would go to the gym to use the machines and then do her cardio at home with Leslie DVDs.

I like Sudoku and crossword puzzles, so I’m lucky because I get a free one of each in my newspaper every day plus a couple of the magazines I subscribe to also have puzzles in them.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-20, 12:17 PM  
desderata

Quote:
I think it’s a great thing and hope they all find VF and join us! It can only lead to more content and a stronger community!

I agree. I quit the gym with the birth of my first child - so much hassle to pack her up, I was uneasy about the cleanliness and quality of the center's child care, etc.

Now, I could never imagine having to drive somewhere to workout or having to share exercise equipment! I'm horribly spoiled. I do what I want when I want it with better instruction than I experienced with group fitness classes or personal training.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, home workout revolution, privacy